Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Revving after 10 mins idle from cold start (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138067)

Hayer_86 12-08-2019 08:05 AM

Revving after 10 mins idle from cold start

Hello, I recently got my 86 back from ceramic coating. I have a dash cam and played back the video. The car was fully cold, then was started and at idle for approx 10 full minutes. After that the shop guys smacked the rev limiter while parked a couple times.

I always wait after 10-15 minutes of normal driving before I get anywhere near redline. Would this have caused any damage in terms of lack of cylinder lubrication? Is 10 minutes of idle warm up enough to thin down 0w-20 oil? Granted the car was inside the shop so cold temp was probably 10 degrees Celsius. Thanks

PetrolioBenzina 12-08-2019 08:20 AM

I'd be more intersted in getting the clowns who did that fired.

extrashaky 12-08-2019 11:28 AM

I doubt it did any damage. Ten minutes should be enough to warm it up.

By "ceramic coating," are you talking about a body treatment or a coated header?

I would probably contact the owner of the shop, show him the video and inquire 1) why they left your car idling in the first place and 2) why they felt the need to rev your motor. I would then gauge his response to decide whether to write this entire thing up in reviews on Google, Facebook and any place else I could find to review his shop. Bad reviews can seriously damage a shop's business.

If it's a coated header, I could see why they would want to get it hot to start burning it in and check for CELs. I'd probably even let the rev limiter thing go if that's the case. But I can't imagine why they would need to do either of those things for a body treatment.

Hayer_86 12-08-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina (Post 3281353)
I'd be more intersted in getting the clowns who did that fired.

Unfortunately it was the actual owner of the shop.

Hayer_86 12-08-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 3281368)
I doubt it did any damage. Ten minutes should be enough to warm it up.

By "ceramic coating," are you talking about a body treatment or a coated header?

I would probably contact the owner of the shop, show him the video and inquire 1) why they left your car idling in the first place and 2) why they felt the need to rev your motor. I would then gauge his response to decide whether to write this entire thing up in reviews on Google, Facebook and any place else I could find to review his shop. Bad reviews can seriously damage a shop's business.

If it's a coated header, I could see why they would want to get it hot to start burning it in and check for CELs. I'd probably even let the rev limiter thing go if that's the case. But I can't imagine why they would need to do either of those things for a body treatment.

It was for the body of the car. And it was definitely just for their pleasure. They were revving another car prior to mine based on video/audio.

extrashaky 12-08-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayer_86 (Post 3281390)
Unfortunately it was the actual owner of the shop.

Time for some negative reviews then. Call 'em out on it publicly.

soundman98 12-08-2019 03:08 PM

i'd contact them for a full refund. don't bother threatening about the reviews. pending the situation of the refund, i'd leave a review for them. if full refund, they get 5 stars note your ceramic coating was free because they love to cold-rev motors. if no/little refund, same note just different star rating.

alex87f 12-09-2019 06:48 AM

While far from ideal, I really doubt bouncing off the rev limiter a couple of times would harm the engine, especially without load.

That being said, I would 100% ask for a compensation and / or write a review explaining your experience. Not only for you, but also so that other people know what to expect.

Tcoat 12-09-2019 08:13 AM

"Turbo all cars"
"MORE POWER"
"Tune, header E85 rocks"
"Wider wheels are bestest"
"Redline every shift"
Drive it like it is meant to be driven"
"OH MY GOD they idled and revved it? CRUCIFY THEM!!!!"

For crying out loud people it is just a car. A few minutes idling and a couple of revs isn't going to hurt it. Some of these responses are just plain stupid.

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 12-09-2019 08:23 AM

I redlined and bounced off the limiter when cold, before the so called break in period was done, I was doing drifts on the way back from the dealer the night I bought the car with 14 km on the odometer (yes fourteen), and it's fine - not a drop of oil burned or anything else 40K miles later. 10 minutes of idling is plenty, trust me

JesseG 12-09-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayer_86 (Post 3281350)
Hello, I recently got my 86 back from ceramic coating. I have a dash cam and played back the video. The car was fully cold, then was started and at idle for approx 10 full minutes. After that the shop guys smacked the rev limiter while parked a couple times.

I always wait after 10-15 minutes of normal driving before I get anywhere near redline. Would this have caused any damage in terms of lack of cylinder lubrication? Is 10 minutes of idle warm up enough to thin down 0w-20 oil? Granted the car was inside the shop so cold temp was probably 10 degrees Celsius. Thanks

Well it’s not ideal to only let the engine warm up by idling and then pegging the rev limiter. 0W20 does basically flow like water so that helps get all the critical parts lubricated quickly. I would show the manager of that shop your video. There should never have been a reason for them to rev your engine that high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROFL it's Waffle 12-09-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayer_86 (Post 3281391)
It was for the body of the car. And it was definitely just for their pleasure. They were revving another car prior to mine based on video/audio.

Can you really blame them? Imagine you're in their shoes. Awesome car comes in their shop, they're all car guys (and/or gals), they wanna hear it blip, I say let 'em. I know some places even go for a test drive just to make sure everything went well.

My preferred local shop loves me for that. :party0038:
I knew my WRX sounded badass, I didn't mind if they had a little fun with it (i.e. no clutch dumps, nothing mechanically taxing/destructive, etc). We're on a first-name basis now. You'd be amazed how far being friendly takes you.

On to more serious notes, what kind of dashcam do you have?

PetrolioBenzina 12-09-2019 01:14 PM

The number of people who say "no big deal" is astounding.

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 12-09-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina (Post 3281677)
The number of people who say "no big deal" is astounding.

The number of people worried about something so trivial is astounding.

:iono: