Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Cayman Replacement has been chosen! (rhymes with OMG) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144665)

WolfpackS2k 03-24-2021 10:01 AM

Cayman Replacement has been chosen! (rhymes with OMG)

4 Attachment(s)
In a drastic departure for what I've traditionally owned for a fun vehicle (all previous being designed from the ground up lightweight 2 door sports cars with manual transmissions), last week I purchased a 2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG P31. Black, with just under 80,000 miles and equipped with the factory limited slip differential option.

For those unaware, the P31 option includes a 30hp bump (481 total from factory), forged internal engine components from the SLS version of this engine, 2-piece front brake rotors, CF trunklid lip and painted brake calipers. The previous owner installed billet accessory pullies, Victory Racing SS long tube headers and secondary cat deletes. Then had a custom tune applied by Eurocharged. All that should be good for around 480 whp (I'll be attending a dyno day in near future out of curiosity). This one has the factory carbon fiber appearance package, which is a bit over the top IMO but whatever.

The car needs a little attention before I can take it out to VIR, such as brake rotors/pads and new tires. I'm trying to put the widest 200TW tires on this car that will fit, but am currently not sure what that will be. The previous owner had a super dark tint installed as well. I know it's not legal here in NC, and it's super annoying to me so that's also one of my first priorities.

Time will tell if this car is right for me, being 2 pedals and 4000 lb. But if it's not, that's okay because W204 AMG prices are on the rise so I can probably come out ahead whenever I sell. Or maybe I'll fall in love forever with this V8 (never owned a V8 before). The car is just bonkers. Driving around town in manual mode is a hoot even at legal speeds. Engine roars, and pops/cracks on decel and downshifting...just makes you want to laugh nonstop. Anyways... :w00t:

:burnrubber::burnrubber::burnrubber:

Pat 03-24-2021 10:14 AM

Oooh. Nicely done.
Remember, too much power is almost enough.

nikitopo 03-24-2021 10:58 AM

Beast! Hope you'll like it.

DarkSunrise 03-24-2021 12:22 PM

Congrats! Let us know after you do your first track day with it. Curious to see how you like it coming from the more typical track cars (s2000, brz, cayman).

Jordanwolf 03-24-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k (Post 3416290)
In a drastic departure for what I've traditionally owned for a fun vehicle (all previous being designed from the ground up lightweight 2 door sports cars with manual transmissions), last week I purchased a 2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG P31. Black, with just under 80,000 miles and equipped with the factory limited slip differential option.

For those unaware, the P31 option includes a 30hp bump (481 total from factory), forged internal engine components from the SLS version of this engine, 2-piece front brake rotors, CF trunklid lip and painted brake calipers. The previous owner installed billet accessory pullies, Victory Racing SS long tube headers and secondary cat deletes. Then had a custom tune applied by Eurocharged. All that should be good for around 480 whp (I'll be attending a dyno day in near future out of curiosity). This one has the factory carbon fiber appearance package, which is a bit over the top IMO but whatever.

The car needs a little attention before I can take it out to VIR, such as brake rotors/pads and new tires. I'm trying to put the widest 200TW tires on this car that will fit, but am currently not sure what that will be. The previous owner had a super dark tint installed as well. I know it's not legal here in NC, and it's super annoying to me so that's also one of my first priorities.

Time will tell if this car is right for me, being 2 pedals and 4000 lb. But if it's not, that's okay because W204 AMG prices are on the rise so I can probably come out ahead whenever I sell. Or maybe I'll fall in love forever with this V8 (never owned a V8 before). The car is just bonkers. Driving around town in manual mode is a hoot even at legal speeds. Engine roars, and pops/cracks on decel and downshifting...just makes you want to laugh nonstop. Anyways... :w00t:

:burnrubber::burnrubber::burnrubber:

Chrome delete and wheels yeah?

Idunno why I assumed this would be the 2dr, still nice though.

WolfpackS2k 03-24-2021 04:51 PM

The chrome is a bit much, but not sure I'll do anything about it.

For some reason I don't like the C63 coupes. Design just doesn't flow well IMO. Sedan looks better to me, and the coupe doesn't weigh less. Also fun fact this is the first sedan I've ever owned, hah.

Jordanwolf 03-24-2021 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k (Post 3416447)

For some reason I don't like the C63 coupes. Design just doesn't flow well IMO. Sedan looks better to me, and the coupe doesn't weigh less. Also fun fact this is the first sedan I've ever owned, hah.

Welcome to the practical sporty life. It'll be hard to leave.

ermax 03-24-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k (Post 3416447)

Agree on the sedan looking better. I remember when I had my first kid and had to get my first sedan. I thought it would suck but found a 5MT IS300 and ended up loving it. There is something fun about throwing a big car around. When it comes right down to it, just about any car driven hard can be fun. I remember borrowing my dads 97 Honda Odyssey so we could load up a bunch of crap to take down to the 24 hours of Daytona and 12 hours of Sebring. I remember having fun driving the crap out of that thing too. My friends are forever saying, remember that time when we borrowed your dads Odyssey. Hahaha. It would have been fun to autox it but I’m not sure it would have met the width/height ratio requirements.

Congrats on the new car! I do suspect you will start to miss the manual though.

Petah78 03-25-2021 07:51 AM

Congrats......this is quite a departure from the 86 but i am sure this will be fun as poop.

WolfpackS2k 03-25-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordanwolf (Post 3416455)
Welcome to the practical sporty life. It'll be hard to leave.

Honestly, I think the rear seat is the same size (or smaller) than my GTI. So I wouldn't say that I'm gaining practicality. I don't have any children of my own (yet) but I have 2 nephews and I know they're going to love going for rides in this car :burnrubber: lol.

The 2nd gen BRZ is still very much on my radar so if I really want to get one (when available, esp once Perf Package is available) I can probably swap out one of these "practical" 4/5 doors, haha.

Jordanwolf 03-25-2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k (Post 3416621)
Honestly, I think the rear seat is the same size (or smaller) than my GTI. So I wouldn't say that I'm gaining practicality. I don't have any children of my own (yet) but I have 2 nephews and I know they're going to love going for rides in this car :burnrubber: lol.

The 2nd gen BRZ is still very much on my radar so if I really want to get one (when available, esp once Perf Package is available) I can probably swap out one of these "practical" 4/5 doors, haha.

Swap the GTI. :bonk:

BrahmaBull1990 04-02-2021 05:54 PM

Beautiful car! I love the quad-tip exhaust; and AMG is...well...AMG! Very nice

How's the interior?

TommyW 04-02-2021 06:46 PM

Nice. I DID have one in my run group at Laguna and fast on the straights but really showed it's weight in the corners and brake zone. We ran comparable lap times.

Clipdat 04-06-2021 10:33 PM

That CF rear diffuser is sweet.