Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryair View Post
I get what you're saying and yes in the classical definition of it, are. but given that we have the twins, Miata, a few Porsches and some exotic supercars and.. what more exactly?

having an elitist take on it might enhance street cred but in the real world, most people that buy the brz would consider plenty of cars that are sporting, including plenty of hot hatches and other non traditional sports cars. hell, I'd rather own a manual foST than an automatic brz but different strokes for different folks.
I don't think it's really about having an elitist take on it or about "street cred". It's more about having requisite specificity. Qualification for the category isn't merely "fun to drive", it has something to do with the initial design goal allowing for a higher ceiling of performance, agility, control precision (and therefore driver connectedness), usefulness in motorsports, etc. Hot hatches are definitely a blast (I own a 500c Abarth), along side my FR-S)), but their economy car roots limits them in terms of the above.

Personally, I think this blog's test was intended to say "if a person considers either of these cars, this is the one the writer prefers". The value of the comparison will always be up to the reader.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
SUB-FT86 (08-12-2015)