View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The leading edge of the doors act as a virtual b pillar in case of side impact, but provide absolutely nothing to the torsional rigidity of the car since it is only pinned to the floor an roof with latches and hinges (4point and 3 pins per door)
Sorry i didn't mean it to sound like the rx8 is a convertible, I wasn't even aware that there was one(cheers dark), but what I meant was the roof on the 8 doesn't play any part (or I should say I very minor one) in providing any sort of torsional rigidity (resistance to twisting under cornering) to the car and therefore it doesn't matter if it was a convertible or not since the bottom part of the chassis provides all the resistance needed. The same design is used in a 5 (which is a convertible)
But if you take a normal coupe, that was designed to be a coupe, and make it a convertible it will suffer dramatically, unless heaps more strengthening (weight) is added.
Sorry to blab about this, but I found it interesting, I just got a rx8 nearly 2months ago and have been learning everything I can bout it and the rensis
Should have made it more clear, sorry, I was in a hurry when I posted that