View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frivo View Post
Well it looks like I may need your help afterall, seems the dealer is claiming they have exhausted all warranty options (ie it's on me to pay in full) I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but how did you get them to eat part of the cost, looks like you were farther out of warranty than I was in terms of KM's?
It could potentially be a side effect of the fact that we are dealing with different manufacturers, even though it's the same engine and same issue. Mine being a Subaru (obviously) meant I dealt with Subaru corporate and not Toyota, and I've heard rumours that Subaru can be a lot more lenient.

It could also be that my local dealer has treated me VERY well through-out my ownership, so the service manager there potentially "went to bat" for me. When I went into him and found out the bad news that I would need "the works" to fix the issue, and would be staring down the barrel of a $2700 repair bill, I just said "fuck it" and e-mailed Subaru Corporate. I figured I had nothing to lose.

I'm sure you read all my posts and already know what happens next, so I won't type it all again, but I really didn't have to do too much myself besides plead my case to them and hope they would have some compassion. I honestly didn't know what to expect, all said and done. I was trying to assume that they WOULDN'T help me, so as not to get my hopes up.

Once they opened the case, they requested my invoices for service performed (to ensure I had maintained the car properly and done my oil changes on time). Once they had received all my invoices from the dealer, and had researched and reviewed for a few days, they e-mailed me to offer to cover the cost of all parts, and I just had to pay labour at a discounted rate.

I'm not sure if you have personally reached out to Toyota in regards to the issue, or if it has been your dealer that has been communicating with head office. If I were you, I would do what I did and take it upon yourself to at least reach out to Toyota Canada and plead with them, as this is basically what I did, and it sounds like you also have nothing to lose at this point. My dealer, as much as he has helped me in the past, had no more strings left to pull on this one, and was basically throwing his hands in the air, saying he couldn't do anything for me. That's when I took it upon my self to reach out to them. If I hadn't reached out, I would be $2000 poorer right now, so I'm glad I did. As with anything in life, if you don't ask, you don't get!

Good luck, brother, and don't hesitate if there's any further advice I can provide.

Last edited by SLVRSRFR; 06-02-2018 at 10:19 AM.
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote