AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Not to get too OT but...

... https://www.gatesfoundation.org/How-...ants-Database# ...

^You mean that guy?

Having beat Windows to hell and back I know it isn't perfect, but I haven't had a single BSOD on a PC myself.

Anyway, I still recommend not getting an OFT if you do not have a Windows PC.
Totally OT, but... yeah, that guy. I deeply admire what he's done with the Gates Foundation. Just because someone is a multi-billionaire doesn't mean they have to give a good chunk of it away (a lot of them don't), so it's noble and admirable of him to do that.

Though, as laudable as it is, several years ago I spent years meeting with the Gates Foundation, trying to get them to support a project for tuberculosis. At the time they had over 3,000 people working for them, and the only things they were interested in funding were malaria and female circumcision. It seemed to be a towering, suffocating bureaucracy that could have worked much more efficiently with fewer people gumming up the works.

His impressive philanthropic work aside, it's DOS that has raised my blood pressure and shortened my life. You're lucky, but I've had at least half a dozen blue screens of death in my life that resulted in catastrophic loss of data and/or hardware.

My Windows VISTA (yes, I know, I'm old) experiences were particularly gruesome. Out of the box the system was non-functional just for simple things like internet, email, and Office. I spent 14 hours on the phone over 2 days with a couple of their reps de-bugging the system and making code changes Microsoft should have done from the beginning. Then, 3 months later, a BSOD and a bricked computer, which MS agreed was VISTA's fault. Though they paid for a new one, that experience is permanently burned into my own hard-wire programming. I'll never go back.

One of my favorite sayings is from Bill Gates:

"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces otherwise smart people into thinking they can't lose."

Very insightful. A lot of people could learn from it.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-11-2020)