View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 01:47 PM   #3
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,235 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Received my KPower kit earlier this week and started getting to work. A few kit notes from me so far:

1. Spend the extra $200-300 for a USDM TSX motor over a JDM K24A. Having to replace the alternator, water pump outlet, water pump outlet studs / bolts, crank pulley, and a few other little things easily push you well past that initial savings.

The K24A crank pulley is a different diameter than the TSX pulley, which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, so a standard off-the-shelf belt size won't work.

2. The kit includes non-OEM intake and exhaust manifold gaskets and a 1320 serpentine belt that fits the no AC setup with a TSX crank pulley. I didn't see these mentioned on the official parts list so it was a double buy.

Oil pan went on first since I'd already assembled the motor otherwise. You can see it has trap doors to help keep the oil near the pickup. K20A2 oil pump is required since the pan needs to be chopped to clear the subframe.

Pieced together most of the intake manifold stuff, I'm debating just buying a set of ID1050x injectors now rather than reusing the crusty looking OEM injectors the motor came with. I intend to build another motor later where they'd be needed anyway.

Had to drill out the left side top left motor mount plate a 1/2" bit since the spacer and plate holes weren't concentric. Not a big deal.

KPower has you flatten out the little aux mounting loop on the stock battery tray riser so you can attach the alternator wire junction to it. Unfortunately, this means my OLM battery tray setup won't work. I have a STM mount in my other car that would work, but I initially swapped the battery setups between cars in the first place because the Braille would die on me when sitting for a few days - super annoying in a daily. Batteries are different sizes so I can't just swap the tray setup.

Going to look into battery mount options now and see what I need to do.

Kinda in a holding pattern right now while I wait for my waterneck to show up from KPower, I opted for the Miata right exit over the BRZ waterneck, hopefully that works out.