View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 08:33 PM   #26
SCFD

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoxer62 View Post
First, I agree with strat61caster that the baffles that fit between the upper and lower pans are legal per the rules and our specific cars. As he notes, windage trays and scrapers bolt up very close to the crank, it's a different part anyway. I'll disagree a little regarding oiling by the crank dipping into the oil, that system pre-dates the SCCA, cars built after WWII (and really after about 1930) use pressure oiling. The cam in a '60s American V-8 is lubricated by oil thrown from the crank, but that oil comes via the crank itself, not dipped out of the pan. Windage trays and scrapers are available today for a variety of engines and can give notable increases at very high rpms.

However, note that my post says "baffled pan" not "add on baffle". I'm going to make my own and weld it to the pan below the pan rail. If you look at the available pans for other engines (including the WRX boxers) you can see several ways to do this, it's a fairly simple part. That solution is 100% legal for any engine.

--Bryan
Are you welding it in to make it legal? I don't want to have to do anything that requires more work than just bolting it in like the Moroso but I also don't want to get protested.
SCFD is offline   Reply With Quote