Old 05-01-2023, 09:29 AM   #2
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatYeti View Post
So last week I was rushing to get ready for a track day and get a new harness installed. Disconnected battery, pulled seat, panels, installed harness, buttoned it all back together and didnt get back in the car til the morning of the track day. Turned on the car and before my phone connected to Bluetooth I hear a full humm. Was coming from the rear driver's side speaker but didn't have time to address so I just turned up the music and sent it.

Now having time to take it apart, I unplugged that speaker and the low hum went away. Assumed it blew somehow in the process, maybe some juice left in the system when I reconnected the battery? Thought afterwards of trying to plug it back in to see if it went away (idiot!). But hoping someone here may know before I order a new one or just leave it for now.

Also I broke one of those white plastic clips on the door panel, anyone know where I can get just one or two?

Thanks in advance and for reference (not sure it matters) it's a 2017 limited with the OEM plus sound package

Well, since they're not Bose speakers, there's not much to those rear speakers to be able to troubleshoot them:

Gently push on the cone in and out to check for a "crunchy" sound/feel indicating the voice coil is burnt. If no sound, continue.

Take a 1.5 -volt battery (AA, C, or D) and using a small gauge wire, attach the positive terminal of the battery to the positive terminal of the speaker, and then attach a wire to the negative terminal of the battery and then tap the wire to the negative terminal of the speaker. Each tap should push the cone out and you'll hear it make a soft pop sound. Reversing the wires during this test will pull the cone in and give you the same pop sound. Don't use a 9-volt battery during this test or you could damage the speaker. If the speaker makes the pop noise, there's probably nothing wrong with it.

However, you mention replacing a harness. Can you elaborate on replacing this harness?

My guess is something to do with the harness change is the cause of the problem.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
ThatYeti (05-01-2023)