Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
2001: A Space Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Honestly I found it boring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I wasn't going to say anything, but I also didn't really get that one. I think I watched it for a high school literature/media class. I feel like it was meant to be taken with other drugs.
I've always found it immensely fun to watch, even on VHS on TV. It was the first DVD I got, but they ruined it with all these digital artifacts right off the bat, like stepped gradients from dark to light in the opening eclipse sequence, geez... Finally a few years back I got to watch a 70mm film of it on the big screen with epic sound at Somerville Theater, one of only a few theaters could play it. Gott-dam! Stunning...

It's not for everyone. But personally I cannot *stand* 99% of "Hollywood" movies. One of the more recent ones: "Ford vs. Ferrari". I mean, the story was EPIC, and they f'd it all up with stupid current-era tropes and things that *obviously* didn't happen (you don't slowly turn your head to stare down your competitor driving down the Mulsanne at night at well over 200mph). Swear to god they churn out this shove-it-down-their-throats-they-love-it CRAP, and people just eat it up. I literally squirm in my seat at movies like this. Le Mans, now THAT was a great movie and 1000x more realistic despite being fiction.

Anyway, after 2001, the theatrical release of Bladerunner (prefer over the director's cuts) closely followed by the original "Alien".

Then Star Wars. Not "Episode IV", just "Star Wars", before G.L. "improved" it (the horror... the horror...). The practical effects followed directly from 2001, they even copied some of the scenes (Star Destroyer in opening scene is basically lifted from scenes of the Discovery on its way to Jupiter in 2001. It's a pretty stupid story but it's legit FUN, and the actors aren't all stilted and annoying, they're just riffing along and having fun. Kind of the opposite of 2001 but with similar attention to detail in the effects. Only the original theatrical release, though. Which is totally unavailable through legit means now. Fortunately now there's 4K77 which someday I'll have to get around to downloading...

Last edited by ZDan; 12-21-2023 at 08:28 PM.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-21-2023), Irace86.2.0 (12-22-2023), Spuds (12-22-2023)