View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Okay...we now have a substantial amount of additional input and data on the brake needs of the FT86 chassis since I wrote the original post back in June of last year. More specifically, there have been a ton of people who have taken their FT86 to the racetrack. I'm now adding a few more comments about that environment. I'm pulling some bits and pieces of posts I've made elsewhere on this forum to have them consolidated in one place.

There has been a lot of discussion on whether or not a big brake kit is needed for taking these cars on the track. After seeing all of the data and feedback over the past year, my opinion is 'maybe.' Whether or not you need a big brake kit will depend on all of the factors I listed in my original post under the HPDE section. It has been proven that some drivers, in some cars, on some tracks will exceed the limits of the OEM FT86 brake system fairly easily, and that includes a car with dedicated track pads and brake fluid. That said, there are plenty of others running track pads on the OEM setup without any significant issues.

Need and want are two different things however, and there are a lot of benefits to going with a big brake kit if you plan to keep your car and track it over the next couple of years. Check out this article I wrote on big brake system benefits you may not have considered. It talks about things like long-term running costs, wasted track time, confidence in the car, etc. At first glance, a big brake just seems like a big up-front expense. Once you think it through though, it makes a whole lot more sense. I'd say about 96% of my big brake kit customers who track their cars tell me, "I wish I had done this a long time ago."

From a financial perspective, if you're tracking your car heavily, a top quality BBK in the $2,000 range is almost a no-brainer. You buy it...beat it to death for the years you own the car, and will likely get at least $1k back for it on the used market when you sell the car. You can then drop your OEM brakes back on the car when you sell it, and they won't be thrashed. Brakes will be something you don't have to think or worry about during your years of tracking the car. You'll always have a good pedal, no heat issues, and total confidence in your brakes.

The alternative is throwing OEM replacement parts on the car more frequently...and at a greater cost (that's the worst part, that OEM pad shapes are more money than the shape for our kit). The OEM replacements burn up, and you get no return on them. You throw away the dead metal bits and start over every time. You also don't have worry-free brakes during that time period. You'll blow more time prepping, bleeding, swapping pads, and generally getting filthy at the track.

My estimate is that the average guy who tracks his car regularly will save enough money in two seasons to completely pay off a quality big brake system. That doesn't even include all the intangible costs of time and potential problems. That's just straight savings on pads, discs, fluid, and resale value. The lengthy list of system benefits is just gravy.

Hopefully that makes sense.

JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (04-12-2013), BRZranger (04-12-2013), Calum (04-12-2013), chrisp1992 (03-23-2014), Deadpool_25 (06-03-2015), flippy (03-21-2014), Fly Guy (03-24-2014), mfbmike (12-20-2013), Ramster (12-02-2023), Teseo (11-09-2014)