Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #205
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
First of all, I guarantee you something is different. Although as I have now discovered (read on), it's surely aftermarket and not just an OEM BRZ/FR-S difference. Although, here are the details of my experience anyway. The difference was so shocking that I started to wonder if they'd make an OEM solution...hence me posting here in the Monogram thread.

The BRZ was built 9/12 and has the original head unit. My FR-S was built 6/12 and I have Bespoke.

I made it a point to reset the EQ to flat and turn off all the DSP stuff in the BRZ. Same in my FR-S (which, by the way, was correctly set to "FR-S" when I got the car).

With the car off, the timbre of the audio sounded pretty much identical to my FR-S overall. However, there are certain bass frequencies that really rattle my door panels; I played those songs in the BRZ--no rattles.

When you're moving, that's where the difference was HUGE. I actually switched wheels (!) so I tried them both on Michelin Primacy HP as well as my BFG Rivals. There is VASTLY less tire/road noise in the BRZ with both tires. Not only does that make the whole driving experience less fatiguing, there isn't as much noise blocking the music. I listened to the same album back to back the same highway and it was just much more clear and pleasant in the BRZ.

Well, I thought I had read that the BRZ came stock with a bit more insulation in the doors and under the carpet.

But upon comparison...they seem to be the same. These are the only two pics I could find:

So if they both have the same amount of insulation (which is pretty much none) then the BRZ I drove definitely has some aftermarket sound insulation. Well in that case, I think it's time to add some weight to my floors and doors to make my daily commute more bearable. That shouldn't take too many tenths off my autocross times
Or the BRZ was on different tires? I know that when I switched to PSS tires, the amount of road noise increased significantly (more debris being kicked up into the wheel wells).