View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 PM   #75
SCQTT
ZWEI KOLBEN

Drives: 2017 86 Halo 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I doubt there will be a version "2.0" I'm sure this car is considered a flop, they are just trying to amortize their R&D and tooling.

Toyota does not really seem that interested in selling Japanese made cars, but they will nearly give you a Mississippi or Canadian built Corolla.

Toyota killed the FJ Cruiser and it averaged about 29K units a year in the US, +10% if you add in Canada, over its 7 year run.

The chart shows The Miata as an "ND", it should be NC, NC - 06-15.........ND is 16+

There will never be another rotary, never ever. The NC Miata used the same chassis as the RX8....Really dying for an RX9? That MX5 RF is as close as it is ever going to get.

Hate the "this car is not for you" advertising? (It is brilliant by the way) You are wrong. Human nature is to want things that we are told are not for us....or rather we are not good enough for it. Yep, they clearly say it is NOT for picking up groceries, your grandma or lugging the kids around....What do they show? Fun, the things they say the car is NOT for are largely NOT fun. Get it?

The automotive enthusiast is a dying breed. When I was a kid you broke your neck getting your license as soon as you turned 16, now people would rather have the newest phone. Marketing anything for people younger than 30 years old is a nightmare.

I bought the 86 on a whim because I thought it might be one of the very last cars made that I can turn almost all driving aids off.

Consider what the product planners are faced with at an automotive company. Look on this forum at the different things people expect and demand on a simple model like this platform. When a manufacturer can stamp out and ship Corollas and Civics and can amortize the R&D & tooling over millions of units it is hard to justify something like our car. Product managers often use focus groups, but when you do that you start removing any "offensive" design or feature and suddenly you have created a bar of soap. Sure no one hates it, but no one loves it either. I've heard it is so bad at Toyota that some of the product people have started recording the actual comments of the consumers at shows because of the crazy ass shit people say motivates them to buy......the upper management simply would not believe it.

Great cars are designed by one person or a small team....consumer be damned. Polarizing design is too much of a risk in this day and age, but if you had a car that 95% of the humans hated it, but 5% would sell their children to own it.....well you would have a huge success.
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SCQTT For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (03-06-2017), daiheadjai (03-04-2017), Mr.Impreza (03-02-2017)