View Single Post
Old 02-22-2023, 11:44 PM   #1
chiefshayan

Drives: 2013 AT Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Electric Power Steering Gone

Hey all! I have a '13 with around 75k miles that's never been in an accident. A few days ago, the steering became very light and almost felt as if the steering input had a deadzone. Checked the tire pressure and everything is OK. This happened in the middle of a nice drive.

I'm thinking my electric power steering EPS has overheated and may have failed. I've found some older threads on this, but just wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue. I spoke with someone at my local Toyota dealership because this EPS failure was part of a Toyota Australia recall and covered, but is not a recognized recall in the United States. Dealership basically said not our issue. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm looking at a ~$1,000 in parts alone if the work is done by myself and a buddy. Would rather put that to a few track days coming up

I always thought if the electric steering motor went, the steering would become very stiff, as if the ignition wasn't on. But the steering almost feels as if the wheels aren't on the road. Lost complete feel of the road, so it may have overheated and became faulty.
chiefshayan is offline   Reply With Quote