View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM   #3
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,415 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I didn't plan on updating this thread for a little while as things are going to move pretty slow, that was until I landed a pretty amazing deal. So here is a little update.

Got the car on jack stands today on lunch.

V35 by Dustin[Smith], on Flickr

Got a better look in the quarter panel. So it will need a quarter panel and inner wheel well. Add that to my list.

I also happen to come into 3 V35A 22+ Tundra V6 engines that were getting scrapped. 2 complete for the most part, and one that is just a short block. One is toast as you can tell from the pictures of the black main cap and rod. They other two should be good for rebuilds. One only having idle time before it started making a noise and was replaced.

I will need to do a major check of everything as I am not sure the condition of the heads or valve train. I know one head looks like it got hit with a fork lift arm at an intake port, which may clean up. One of the other heads has two valve springs uninstalled which I find very odd. More pictures to come as I really tear into everything.

I also ended up buying a MK60e5 ABS pump last week. Should be here tomorrow. I am very far off from getting brake lines routed, but I wanted to get it before prices got too crazy. I will need to figure out if factory sensors are going to be compatible or if I need to custom mount the BMW sensors somehow.

On to the few pictures:

The Dollys are what I used to move the chassis from my front yard where the car was dropped off on the parking pad in the back, and they make a perfect rolling resting point for these engines until I can get them torn down. The short blocks are surprising light, so moving them around like this is great.

Dead engine here:

Look how black the number one rod is compared the other ones. Got a tad hot...

At this point, my plan has shifted to hopefully running one of these in the car. I will need to design a turbo adapter (maybe run factory turbos with modified vacuum based wastegates?), Transmission adapter, intake manifold?, direct injector plugs, and I am sure a slew of other parts. I will be seeing what I can do about upgraded valve spring packages and upgraded AM rod/main bearings when putting them back together at first.