follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2024, 04:47 AM   #15
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
The car is pretty easy to drive right now, and feels really stable. But after 2 track days with this suspension setup, it definitely has some understeer. I have to get braking juuust right to get it to rotate through late entry, and even then it's not very much
Are you trail braking into the corner ? Also wouldn't a less aggressive rear pad cause less rotation

Quote:
I have lots of video from the last two track days, but it's not all interesting. I might just go ahead and cut together some of the raw GoPro footage, since my phone with RaceChrono is visible in the shots to see speed, lap times, and deltas. It just won't have the full data overlay, because I can't be assed to try and load that many gigs of video into my phone to let RaceChrono process it, and I still have a lot of work to do for anything custom. Or maybe RaceRender can do what I need? :thinking: I'm not sure I want to see my oil pressure drops anyway.
This is why I went with an Aim system. Solo 2 dl and smarty cam 3 in my case. All the overlay happens in real time. No starting or stoping either it's all automatic based off GPS. Just run your laps remove the SD card when you get back to the pits and enjoy the show

Does come at a price though
autoracer86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 07:04 PM   #16
grippgoat

Drives: 2023 BRZ, 2018 Golf R 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoracer86 View Post
Are you trail braking into the corner ? Also wouldn't a less aggressive rear pad cause less rotation
I think it depends who you ask, lol. I'm trying, but the car doesn't really seem to want to do it. Maybe I need to try harder, or maybe I need a setup tweak. Or yeah, maybe I need to try XR2 pads in the rear.

Quote:
This is why I went with an Aim system. Solo 2 dl and smarty cam 3 in my case. All the overlay happens in real time. No starting or stoping either it's all automatic based off GPS. Just run your laps remove the SD card when you get back to the pits and enjoy the show

Does come at a price though
RaceChrono actually works that way if you use the phone's camera. I did that for several events, but I started using the GoPro because my phone mount is rickety, and I wanted a view from farther back to be able to see what my head and hands are doing. RaceChrono has a workflow for importing the GoPro video, but for some reason I decided to record at 2.7K resolution, so the videos are just enormous, like 12GB per session, and my phone doesn't have enough storage to deal with that, lol.

I'm worky, very slowly, on a software package to import the video and do overlays and stuff on my PC. But it's going to take me a very long time, lol. The only nice thing it does right now is to let me compare my RaceChrono data with other people's AIM data.
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 07:40 PM   #17
autoracer86

Very cool getting the live overlay with RaceChrono if you use the built in camera. RaceChrono Seems to be a very popular choice but it’s still not as simple and bullet proof as an Aim setup. But there is a big price gap so maybe not worth the money for some.

Also awesome work being able to compare your data to Aim users! Are you importing your data into race studio to make that happen? Either way good stuff
Old 05-22-2024, 01:14 AM   #18
grippgoat

Quote:
Also awesome work being able to compare your data to Aim users! Are you importing your data into race studio to make that happen? Either way good stuff
No, I found a library from AIM to pull data out of their files. So I can import both those and RaceChrono CSV v3 into my custom UI.
The Following User Says Thank You to grippgoat For This Useful Post:
autoracer86 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 06:59 AM   #19
autoracer86

Quote:
No, I found a library from AIM to pull data out of their files. So I can import both those and RaceChrono CSV v3 into my custom UI.
A bit of googling brought me to the GitHub repo for the library that is so cool! Had no idea something like that existed.

Good luck with your UI sounds like an awesome project. Thanks for sharing
Old 05-24-2024, 02:39 PM   #20
grippgoat

Got the RaceChrono GoPro import figured out. It's actually pretty straightforward, and not so bad when I'm just grabbing 1-2 vids for the part of my best session that I want to overlay. It's automatic sync from the metadata was not bad, just had to manually shift by maybe half a second to get the steering angle gauge to match the actual steering angle.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grippgoat For This Useful Post:
autoracer86 (05-24-2024), villainous_frx (Yesterday)