follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
TomT2411

Drives: Bagged FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Airaid intake?

I'm new to all of this stuff and I was just wondering if it was good and what is the difference between the two.

https://www.airaid.com/frs-brz-intakes.aspx

Oiled

https://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail...ductID=511-307

And

Non oiled
https://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail...ductID=511-307

Thank you!

Bagged FRS
TomT2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:44 PM   #2
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Drop in filter and maybe an inlet hose.

Stay away from that Airaid intake. You'll waste your money on any CAI, actually. A drop in is good enough and a lot less.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
major quicknap

Drives: blue sardine
Or wait for the GrimmSpeed intake.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50492
Old 04-26-2014, 01:07 AM   #4
hattrickey

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I think the Airraid intake was proven to actually LOSE power. Stay away from it.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:02 AM   #5
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrickey View Post
I think the Airraid intake was proven to actually LOSE power. Stay away from it.
Actually it was much maligned on the forums, unfortunately. The guys here locally have looked into it and found it to actually be a good intake for its price, for values of aftermarket intakes.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:13 AM   #6
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Avoid the Airaid intake. It was dyno'd vs other intakes and it lost power. Their intake is crap.
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:59 AM   #7
BC-Boy

Drives: 2013 Brz sport-tech
Garage
it has larger piping and more filter media with an nice velocity stack to reduce turbulance into the maf, good intake However instead of tricking the MAF into thinking there is less air like most do to make power it seems to do the opposite, and thus goes rich and loses power not to metion load charts and etc... if tuned it makes power the thing is it heat soaks if you dont leave the snorkel because is air intake duct whatever thats called doesnt exstend far enough into the bumper, yes im trolling because im going to buy this intake creditable tuners have told me its better than most intakes because it doesnt trick the maf and also its consistant in readings making it easy to scale , My issue is im trying to see if someone has it with the Perrin oil cooler, if it fits ill buy it. like honestly this is like alot of ppl say certain overpipes lose power, bs its a 2.5in piece of pipe that is way bigger than the oem even if its a little sketchy in the bends still flows prob 30 percent more,i am a firm beliver that its the tune that will make or break intake mods, also my oem air box is all warped and caved in because of the heat from my uel header, it doesnt properly seal anymore and it cracked !!!!
BC-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:05 AM   #8
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Yeah OK.

You may want to start listening unlike your fa20club/visconti/whatever you were trying to prove with higher octance fuel.
However, wasted effort, time and money appears synonymous in regards to you.

Last edited by s2d4; 05-23-2014 at 06:13 AM.
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:08 AM   #9
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Actually it was much maligned on the forums, unfortunately. The guys here locally have looked into it and found it to actually be a good intake for its price, for values of aftermarket intakes.

So far multiple people on these forums have had it dyno'd and it has been shown to lose power. Not just 1 shop, but multiple sources. From shops to independent dyno's. They all showed power loss. When they got exposed up until now they haven't even tried to disprove this with new dyno's.

They delete all the comments regarding it to losing power on there you tube videos instead of trying to show proof that it doesn't. Avoid @AIRAID at all costs. They were just here to make a quick buck by being the first company to offer an intake and by doing that they made a lot of cash since there weren't any other options available at the time.

@AIRAID is wack dont buy anything from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Boy View Post
it has larger piping and more filter media with an nice velocity stack to reduce turbulance into the maf, good intake However instead of tricking the MAF into thinking there is less air like most do to make power it seems to do the opposite, and thus goes rich and loses power not to metion load charts and etc... if tuned it makes power the thing is it heat soaks if you dont leave the snorkel because is air intake duct whatever thats called doesnt exstend far enough into the bumper, yes im trolling because im going to buy this intake creditable tuners have told me its better than most intakes because it doesnt trick the maf and also its consistant in readings making it easy to scale , My issue is im trying to see if someone has it with the Perrin oil cooler, if it fits ill buy it. like honestly this is like alot of ppl say certain overpipes lose power, bs its a 2.5in piece of pipe that is way bigger than the oem even if its a little sketchy in the bends still flows prob 30 percent more,i am a firm beliver that its the tune that will make or break intake mods, also my oem air box is all warped and caved in because of the heat from my uel header, it doesnt properly seal anymore and it cracked !!!!
I'm sure every intake gains power when paired with an tune, But IMO the gain is mostly because of the tune and I bet it has nothing to do with the intake being used or has very little affect on the end result. As you will probably see similar gains without the intake. If you got a tune with an intake and switched the intake with another one, I bet you it will show maybe the same results or +/- 1-2 WHP difference tops on the dyno. Unless you have something like a GruppeM, revolution, toms or Syms. Intakes wont see massive gains until you start doing other mods that will make the care breath easier. I wouldn't get an intake until I got my headers, op/dp, and a cat back.

Basically wouldn't even touch the intake until you get a full exhaust. If you look at the Perrin blog you will see that the intake mods gain much more power after they upgraded their exhaust. According to them the intake tube they offer helped add 3-4 more WHP than 1-2 which is what they and other intake tubes originally got without any other mods. So you can see how much the other mods affect the cars intake. By it self it wont do much but once you get other mods to support it it will make a difference. And in the end avoid @AIRAID at all costs.

For what they charge you have much better options from reputable companies who weren't here to make a quick buck. Buy from the companies who are actively producing parts/innovating and doing R&D and making this car better so they can continue to do so. Companies that make our cars and the scene continue to improve not mess it up by making copies/imitations or parts with no R&D that is harmful to our cars.

Last edited by FR-Sizzle; 05-23-2014 at 06:58 AM.
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-Sizzle For This Useful Post:
Darkparadox911 (07-02-2015)
Old 05-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
BC-Boy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Yeah OK.

You may want to start listening unlike your fa20club/visconti/whatever you were trying to prove with higher octance fuel.
However, wasted effort, time and money appears synonymous in regards to you.
youd be supprised who told me it was a good intake and was good for consistant maf readings and scaleing the hi octane fuel works good too regardless im going with a grimmspeed when it comes out this wont fit with my oil cooler
Old 05-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
BC-Boy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sizzle View Post
So far multiple people on these forums have had it dyno'd and it has been shown to lose power. Not just 1 shop, but multiple sources. From shops to independent dyno's. They all showed power loss. When they got exposed up until now they haven't even tried to disprove this with new dyno's.

They delete all the comments regarding it to losing power on there you tube videos instead of trying to show proof that it doesn't. Avoid @AIRAID at all costs. They were just here to make a quick buck by being the first company to offer an intake and by doing that they made a lot of cash since there weren't any other options available at the time.

@AIRAID is wack dont buy anything from them.

I'm sure every intake gains power when paired with an tune, But IMO the gain is mostly because of the tune and I bet it has nothing to do with the intake being used or has very little affect on the end result. As you will probably see similar gains without the intake. If you got a tune with an intake and switched the intake with another one, I bet you it will show maybe the same results or +/- 1-2 WHP difference tops on the dyno. Unless you have something like a GruppeM, revolution, toms or Syms. Intakes wont see massive gains until you start doing other mods that will make the care breath easier. I wouldn't get an intake until I got my headers, op/dp, and a cat back.

Basically wouldn't even touch the intake until you get a full exhaust. If you look at the Perrin blog you will see that the intake mods gain much more power after they upgraded their exhaust. According to them the intake tube they offer helped add 3-4 more WHP than 1-2 which is what they and other intake tubes originally got without any other mods. So you can see how much the other mods affect the cars intake. By it self it wont do much but once you get other mods to support it it will make a difference. And in the end avoid @AIRAID at all costs.

For what they charge you have much better options from reputable companies who weren't here to make a quick buck. Buy from the companies who are actively producing parts/innovating and doing R&D and making this car better so they can continue to do so. Companies that make our cars and the scene continue to improve not mess it up by making copies/imitations or parts with no R&D that is harmful to our cars.
yes i have headers and 2.5in to the tail pipes, borla catback which is basicly a strait tru exhaust you can see right tru the muffler, thing is my oem air box is all warped and it litterally bowed out in the middle so it doesnt seal my air filter anymore, i heated it and reformed it/ wraped it in DEI tunnel sheild and its fine now but still dont like that cheap peice of @@@ oem air box being all warped like that,
Old 05-24-2014, 01:04 AM   #12
s2d4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Boy View Post
youd be supprised who told me it was a good intake and was good for consistant maf readings and scaleing the hi octane fuel works good too regardless im going with a grimmspeed when it comes out this wont fit with my oil cooler
read over what you wrote last.
MAF reading less air than actual for others.
MAF reading more air than actual for airaid.
What does that say to you?
Old 05-24-2014, 01:49 AM   #13
BC-Boy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
read over what you wrote last.
MAF reading less air than actual for others.
MAF reading more air than actual for airaid.
What does that say to you?
same thing it says to everyone, rich condition = less power
if you read the entire post i wrote that apparently it is easier to scale, probably given the fact that it smoothens out the turbulance and give a nice smooth output signal that is easy to adjust to as opposed to the intakes that just stuff the maf in a hollow pipe and let airstream dynamics take their toll on sensor output, the oem intake has a velocity stack in the airbox as well a a maf straintener. i dont care i dont want this intake anymore i cant fit it with my oil cooler but the person who told me its a good "tuning" intake this is someone everyone on here has considered to be very knowledgeable about tuning. maybe for "bolt-on" it doesnt add power but if properly tuned apparently it is good.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:52 AM   #14
s2d4

yeah, I know who that person is.
And guess what, it's been tested by everyone else to say something else.

And you really need to actually understand what you are saying, if reading over what I had summarised makes no sense to you and all you got from that just comes down to rich condition=less power (which is also known), not much else I can say since you just don't get it.

One last try I guess,
Why does MAF read more air than actual for airaid?