follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
ImAdopted
Super Saiyan

Drives: 9000 HP FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cheapest option for new hood

where and how would be the cheapest option to get a new hood? the obvious answer is used from someone but im having a hard time finding one. i need raven and wanna avoid the dealership as they will charge me up the ass
ImAdopted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAdopted View Post
where and how would be the cheapest option to get a new hood? the obvious answer is used from someone but im having a hard time finding one. i need raven and wanna avoid the dealership as they will charge me up the ass
Call your local auto wrecking yard. If they don't have one they are all on a computerized system where they can order one. Be as cheap as you will ever get and the proper colour already.
Attached Images

Dadhawk (08-16-2017), ImAdopted (08-15-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
There is a small wrecker in Alliston called "Early's Auto Parts". I went to visit a friend who lives in Alliston the other day and drove by their lot; they had an asphalt FR-S sitting near the fence that had been hit on the driver's side rear quarter panel. Whole front end looked pretty intact.

I was going to pop in and inquire about a driver's side sun-visor from that car, because mine is broken.

*EDIT* I'm an idiot and just noticed you're in Alberta. Sorry.

*EDIT 2* changed the name of the business to the correct name.

Last edited by SLVRSRFR; 08-16-2017 at 11:59 AM.
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
There is a small wrecker in Alliston called "Easy's Auto Parts". I went to visit a friend who lives in Alliston the other day and drove by their lot; they had an asphalt FR-S sitting near the fence that had been hit on the driver's side rear quarter panel. Whole front end looked pretty intact.

I was going to pop in and inquire about a driver's side sun-visor from that car, because mine is broken.

*EDIT* I'm an idiot and just noticed you're in Alberta. Sorry.
Still helpful. Any decent sized wrecker will be tied into the parts network and will ship parts across the country to another one. This would give a good jump off point for the search.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
SLVRSRFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Still helpful. Any decent sized wrecker will be tied into the parts network and will ship parts across the country to another one. This would give a good jump off point for the search.
True! Good point! And a good FYI for anyone else local who may need some parts off of it. Driver's side rear quarter panel was destroyed, side airbags had blown, and the rear wheel on that side looked like it was on a crazy angle, but the rest of the car looked alright from what I could see from the road.

I'm still planning on stopping in there to inquire about the sun visor. My driver's side vanity mirror cover won't stay open on it's own anymore, and the vinyl is starting to crack on the one corner of the visor. Not a major issue but still bothersome.

Might see if there's any other parts I'd want from it too. Not sure of the year or the trim, or if it has any mods, but Alliston is only about 20 minutes from my house and I'm there quite often to visit my friend, so I have to make a point of trying to stop in the next time I'm out that way.

Last edited by SLVRSRFR; 08-16-2017 at 11:50 AM.
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SLVRSRFR For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
Tcoat

Quote:
True! Good point! And a good FYI for anyone else local who may need some parts off of it. Driver's side rear quarter panel was destroyed, and the rear wheel on that side looked like it was on a crazy angle, but the rest of the car looked alright from what I could see from the road.

I'm still planning on stopping in there to inquire about the sun visor. My driver's side vanity mirror cover won't stay open on it's own anymore, and the vinyl is starting to crack on the one corner of the visor. Not a major issue but still bothersome.

Might see if there's any other parts I'd want from it too. Not sure of the year or the trim, or if it has any mods, but Alliston is only about 20 minutes from my house and I'm there quite often to visit my friend, so I have to make a point of trying to stop in the next time I'm out that way.
Was it out front or in the yard? Most that are sitting out in view are being sold complete as salvage title cars so they won't pull parts.
Many people don't think about getting parts from auto wreckers anymore. I think the ease of getting used parts online has really decreased the awareness of these valuable resources. My father used to hang around them all the time so I practically grew up in the things and it is still my first place to check if I need something (not that I need much these days).
Dadhawk (08-16-2017), SLVRSRFR (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
SLVRSRFR

Quote:
Was it out front or in the yard? Most that are sitting out in view are being sold complete as salvage title cars so they won't pull parts.
Many people don't think about getting parts from auto wreckers anymore. I think the ease of getting used parts online has really decreased the awareness of these valuable resources. My father used to hang around them all the time so I practically grew up in the things and it is still my first place to check if I need something (not that I need much these days).
The name of the business is "Early's Auto Parts" which leads me to believe they deal strictly in parts, but hey you never know.

It's sitting out front right by the road in full view (highway 89 heading into Alliston), BUT it doesn't look like your "typical" wrecking yard with a huge lot out back. There's about 50 cars out front give or take, and it doesn't look like they even have a back yard at all, but hard to see from the road while passing by.

I'm going to Google them now to see if they have a website with more details.

*EDIT* I was mistaken; it is EARLY'S auto parts, not EASY'S, and looking at the pictures of the facility on their website, they do appear to have a back lot as well behind a wood fence. But they don't seem to have a way that you can search for a particular car on their website; just a particular part, and they don't seem to have an inventory list.

It also appears they do sell whole cars, but most of the whole cars for sale on their website are classics or barn find project cars. The FR-S isn't listed on that page as being for sale whole.

http://earlysautoparts.com/
Tcoat (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #8
Tcoat

Quote:
The name of the business is "Early's Auto Parts" which leads me to believe they deal strictly in parts, but hey you never know.

It's sitting out front right by the road in full view, BUT it doesn't look like your "typical" wrecking yard with a huge lot out back. There's about 50 cars out front give or take, and it doesn't look like they even have a back yard at all, but hard to see from the road while passing by.

I'm going to Google them now to see if they have a website with more details.

*EDIT* I was mistaken; it is EARLY'S auto parts, not EASY'S, and looking at the pictures of the facility on their website, they do appear to have a back lot as well behind a wood fence.

http://earlysautoparts.com/

Ya they can do wonders hiding the yard. Worth a shot but I bet they won't part out. They hide the part out cars in the yard so that they don't have to move them around after they pull parts.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #9
SLVRSRFR

Quote:
Ya they can do wonders hiding the yard. Worth a shot but I bet they won't part out. They hide the part out cars in the yard so that they don't have to move them around after they pull parts.
Good point.

I was thinking maybe they hide the older trash/generic shit in the back, and keep the newer late-model rare/desirable stuff out front so that it gets eye-balls on it from passers-by.

But I could be wrong.

I just sent them an e-mail inquiring about it, so we'll see what they say.
Tcoat (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #10
Tcoat

Quote:
Good point.

I was thinking maybe they hide the older trash/generic shit in the back, and keep the newer late-model rare/desirable stuff out front so that it gets eye-balls on it from passers-by.

But I could be wrong.

I just sent them an e-mail inquiring about it, so we'll see what they say.
They could but it would not be the normal drill. They leave the eye catching stuff out front hoping to sell it intact. If it doesn't sell after a while they move it out back and start stripping. If it sits back there for a period of time (varies with model and how many they have) and nobody buys anything off it then they crush it and sell it as scrap metal.
SLVRSRFR (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #11
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Try looking on http://car-part.com, it should pull up most wreckers within the radius you're after.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #12
WRBrzRX

Drives: runs&drives
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
car-part, LKQ, local wreckers, local craigslist, regional forums here
WRBrzRX is offline   Reply With Quote