follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2023, 08:26 PM   #29
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,364 Times in 7,403 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
I think this is where an electric valve and a controller would be beneficial rather than a manual valve or pressure switch.

The electric valves are only closed in one direction when off enabling it to fill and hold until switched on by the user or a pressure switch, unlike the the manual valve which must be opened to fill and/or empty.

Tying an electric valve into either a standalone or arduino (etc) and say comparing oil pressure vs rpm vs accumulator charge pressure to determine when to open the valve would give the benefit of fast reaction like a simple pressure switch, but without dumping oil every time pressure drops because rpm did.
Link?

All the solenoid valves I was looking at were either NO or NC so they won't fill unless triggered or would need a one way bypass to refill the accumulator. Most also had buna orings and seals so not good for high enough temperature. Need either viton or epdm.
blsfrs (03-11-2023), Ultramaroon (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 09:15 PM   #30
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,603 Times in 18,973 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I wasn't ready to build it. I'm keeping all options open until I feel that I've adequately defined the requirements.
Old 03-11-2023, 03:24 AM   #31
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Link?

All the solenoid valves I was looking at were either NO or NC so they won't fill unless triggered or would need a one way bypass to refill the accumulator. Most also had buna orings and seals so not good for high enough temperature. Need either viton or epdm.
I don’t have a link, but my Moroso valve only held against pressure in one direction when de-energized. As long as the “In” port faced the accumulator it could charge and hold when switched off. Made it convenient to fill before shutting off the vehicle. Also, essential for pressure switch activated systems to be able recharge once oil pump output resumes and the pressure switch turns off.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (03-11-2023), whataboutbob (03-05-2024)
Old 03-11-2023, 08:46 AM   #32
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
The system is incomplete. For an accumulator to do any good there must be some hysteresis, like an easily opened check valve to fill and in parallel, a dump valve that flops open below a set pressure delta.
^ This!

With NO valves it's a dampener. With valves it's supplies supplemental pressure, but again, it's highly arguable as to the effectiveness on an FA, and not a solution to the core problem. We already know on EJs (with 12mm pump and D-AVCS it's not an effective solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
I think this is where an electric valve and a controller would be beneficial rather than a manual valve or pressure switch.

The electric valves are only closed in one direction when off enabling it to fill and hold until switched on by the user or a pressure switch, unlike the the manual valve which must be opened to fill and/or empty.

Tying an electric valve into either a standalone or arduino (etc) and say comparing oil pressure vs rpm vs accumulator charge pressure to determine when to open the valve would give the benefit of fast reaction like a simple pressure switch, but without dumping oil every time pressure drops because rpm did.
On the right track here, but it should go a step further and ONLY recharge when load is low. With a good standalone, this is easy to do. Off the shelf, it will recharge, dropping system pressure, at the worst possible time, under full load.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
900BRZ (07-03-2023), blsfrs (03-11-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 10:12 PM   #33
justnutsandbolts

Drives: Tacoma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to revive this thread...with a manual only valve set up, what happens if you spin out and stall?

I assume the oil pressure will go to 0 psi and overfill crank with 2qt of oil rapidly, since the driver will most likely not be able to close the valve quickly.

Electric valve would prevent this as long as it is getting power?

Last edited by justnutsandbolts; 08-24-2023 at 10:29 PM.
justnutsandbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:59 AM   #34
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnutsandbolts View Post
Sorry to revive this thread...with a manual only valve set up, what happens if you spin out and stall?

I assume the oil pressure will go to 0 psi and overfill crank with 2qt of oil rapidly, since the driver will most likely not be able to close the valve quickly.

Electric valve would prevent this as long as it is getting power?
I doesn't hurt anything. I've forgotten to close mine after a session and have not had a problem. Maybe a little smoke on startup.

It's not quite 2 quarts. If you start with a 7psi precharge, at 60psi of engine oil pressure, the accusump with have 56.5 oz of oil in reserve. (If my math is correct LOL)

Also, the first half of the discharge is reasonably rapid. Discharge slows considerably as the pressure and volume in the accusump decreases.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (03-05-2024)
Old 10-02-2023, 12:12 PM   #35
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I'm finally getting my FRS back together. I wanted to continue reading my OP at the top galley so I added a "tee fitting. So far, it works great.
Attached Images

blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (10-03-2023), Ultramaroon (10-02-2023), whataboutbob (03-05-2024)