follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #127
Tico

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First case in Peru

After abiut a year of tracking once a month, I got the first P0352 CEL, cleared it, took it to the dealer and they said nothing appeared to be wrong. Next month, another track day, same P0352 CEL, but now with popping under the hood. Back to dealer. They replaced a bad injector but not the coil. Next track day, same thing, with popping again. Now back at dealer. They say injector is ok, but replaced the coil this time. When they were testing it, another coil failed, so now they've called in the cavalry, as this is the first case here in Peru and they want to be as thorough an by the book as possible. Problem is it looks like I'm more up to dat on the issue from reading this forum than they are. Just told them about the stock tune and the reflash.. They hadnt heard of it. Dont want to swap in the spare Okadas I have yet so the warranty is still good. im not a mechanic, but Im still not sure if the P0352 is coming up due to a faulty coil, or a faulty injector, if they are necessarily related, and if so, which causes which.

No engine mods at all. Just a perrin catback, and wheel and suspension upgrades.
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #128
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
After abiut a year of tracking once a month, I got the first P0352 CEL, cleared it, took it to the dealer and they said nothing appeared to be wrong. Next month, another track day, same P0352 CEL, but now with popping under the hood. Back to dealer. They replaced a bad injector but not the coil. Next track day, same thing, with popping again. Now back at dealer. They say injector is ok, but replaced the coil this time. When they were testing it, another coil failed, so now they've called in the cavalry, as this is the first case here in Peru and they want to be as thorough an by the book as possible. Problem is it looks like I'm more up to dat on the issue from reading this forum than they are. Just told them about the stock tune and the reflash.. They hadnt heard of it. Dont want to swap in the spare Okadas I have yet so the warranty is still good. im not a mechanic, but Im still not sure if the P0352 is coming up due to a faulty coil, or a faulty injector, if they are necessarily related, and if so, which causes which.

No engine mods at all. Just a perrin catback, and wheel and suspension upgrades.
Can you please specify if you've had direct or port injectors replaced due to the popping sounds?

P0352 is for #2 coil malfunction and on certain vehicles the ECM may shut down the associated injector when that code is thrown. I'm not sure yet if the code is directly correlated with DI seal failure.

I've done a few track days since getting P0351 and replacing my #1 coil and haven't had any issues since. I should mention that since last year I've been running a tune based on the latest B01C revision which includes the DI seal fix (prevents high-rpm detonation between shifts). I'm also running E85 at the track which lowers cylinder temperatures and is much more knock resistant.

If you track the car frequently I'd recommend getting the latest tune revision either through your dealer or an EcuTek tuner. Make sure you're running at least 93 octane gasoline and if you can get E85 there then a Flex-fuel kit and EcuTek tune is a good option to help the engine handle track abuse.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 07-07-2014 at 08:01 AM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #129
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post

If dealer won't do reflash to latest stock ROM you can do it yourself with Tactrix cable, stock ROMs at end of post. for $170 USD

then you can also log If your on (C rom or G rom) with tactix and adjust tune with Romraider or Ecuflash. Logging should work with other rOM you would have to get the rAM addresses from the romriader guys.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62332

run E85 see here with Openflash Tablet www.openflashtablet.com

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67310

or you can use Ecutek

plenty of options
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #130
Tico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Can you please specify if you've had direct or port injectors replaced due to the popping sounds?

P0352 is for #2 coil malfunction and on certain vehicles the ECM may shut down the associated injector when that code is thrown. I'm not sure yet if the code is directly correlated with DI seal failure.

I've done a few track days since getting P0351 and replacing my #1 coil and haven't had any issues since. I should mention that since last year I've been running a tune based on the latest B01C revision which includes the DI seal fix (prevents high-rpm detonation between shifts). I'm also running E85 at the track which lowers cylinder temperatures and is much more knock resistant.

If you track the car frequently I'd recommend getting the latest tune revision either through your dealer or an EcuTek tuner. Make sure you're running at least 93 octane gasoline and if you can get E85 there then a Flex-fuel kit and EcuTek tune is a good option to help the engine handle track abuse.

Yeah, the first tine it was the direct injector that went bad due to the seal issue. This time though, I got the sane CEL and the popping sound but they say that the injector is ok. That I find weird. I'd think that at least the seal would have to go bad in order for popping to occur. But them again I may still be in the bad comunicación phase with the dealer. Still haven't got the car back. But they did clarify that no additional coil went bad. They aré still searching for the answers .

I only use 98 octane fuel or at Worst 97. No other real options here. I'm definitely getting an Ecutek tune after this whatever the outcome.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:20 PM   #131
Tico

Only one local tuner here that I know of who's worked on a single GT86 in tandem with a remote tuner in the US.

Gonna bring in an Ecutek kit next week.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #132
Jacques Blom
Turbo 86

Drives: Toyota 86 Turbo
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Very good read.. just had my error. . 40 000 km on clock after two misfire errors on coil one... will take is in.
Jacques Blom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #133
Pabloc

Drives: BRZ Ltd WRB, MT6; '91 M5; '89 911
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
After several episodes of P0351 CELs being tripped, took car to dealer. They say it isn't likely the coil, but the 'pins' in the harness. They are keeping the car, drive it and get it warm to test that idea.
Anyone heard of this before?
What are the 'pins' that they are talkn' about?

Thanks
Pabloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #134
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabloc View Post
After several episodes of P0351 CELs being tripped, took car to dealer. They say it isn't likely the coil, but the 'pins' in the harness. They are keeping the car, drive it and get it warm to test that idea.
Anyone heard of this before?
What are the 'pins' that they are talkn' about?

Thanks
I haven't heard of the pins in the harness being the root cause of the issue, but I wouldn't rule it out. The connector has a few small pins in it that are inside the connector that snaps into the coil. My P0351 was completely solved by replacing the #1 coil with a new one.

I just got a persistent P0353 today at the track and ruined my day since I parked the car not taking any risks. My #3 coil is acting up now after my #1 did the same thing back in March at the track and has been fine since replacing the coil.

Just ordered two new coils. This is getting old quick.

Someone needs to manufacture some decent performance coils with HEAT SINKS on them!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #135
Slysdexia

Drives: '14 Monogram 6MT FR-S - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Someone needs to manufacture some decent performance coils with HEAT SINKS on them!
So far, have you had issues with any of the driver's side coils?

My thought is that perhaps they're near max duty cycle under hard driving conditions, and the passenger side head having the exhaust under it is only exasperating the issue. Maybe some sort of heatshield will improve coil life?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #136
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slysdexia View Post
So far, have you had issues with any of the driver's side coils?

My thought is that perhaps they're near max duty cycle under hard driving conditions, and the passenger side head having the exhaust under it is only exasperating the issue. Maybe some sort of heatshield will improve coil life?
No issues yet on the drivers side.

That's a good understanding of what's happening, but nobody knows with certainty if that's the true cause of failure. Go back a few pages in this thread and you'll see some heat shield ideas that I thought of and came to concept thanks to @gramicci101
Old 07-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #137
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Mojo Performance coil packs, found in a 2JZ BRZ build thread.
Those are actually GM LQ9 coils that Mojo builds brackets to use with various engines. I'm not having any luck finding physical dimensions for the injectors to see if they'd fit though.

@MAPerformance, are the Okada coils priced individually or as a pack of four? Are they any more tolerant to heat than the OEM coils?

Cusco's are too expensive. Alternately, you could contact Accel, MSD, or similar companies about making some.

Last edited by gramicci101; 07-21-2014 at 10:35 PM.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (07-21-2014), Slysdexia (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 11:03 PM   #138
gramicci101
Off Topic

Ok, I don't think the LQ9 coils will work, at least not with a fair amount of modifications.

Here's a GM coil compared to a Supra coil.

Our coils are similar to the Supra coils, but I don't think the body of the GM coil will fit into our block. Also, we would need a bracket to hold them down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (07-21-2014), Slysdexia (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #139
Slysdexia

Drives: '14 Monogram 6MT FR-S - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
If I had to put money on it, it's a combination of things. The theme of the car seems to be tolerance stacking.

Max duty cycle, plus negligible airflow, plus hot cylinder heads from hot oil, all having to cope with the extra heat from being 6" above a close coupled catalytic converter. Fine copper wire, epoxy, and enamel don't like heat.

We'll see what Toyota/Subaru do on the mid cycle refresh, if anything. It might end up like the RX-8 and someone adapts a readily available, unkillable coil to our platform, and it turns into a "do this first" mod.

Sent from my hand computer using radiation.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 AM   #140
gramicci101
Off Topic

Does anyone have a diagram of the BRZ coil that shows physical dimensions and output voltage? I'd like to farm it out to the various ignition coil companies to see if there's an existing product that would work, but my google-fu is weak. Some of Accel's supercoils look like they would work, but right now I'm just guessing based on appearance.