follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #183
arkybrz

Drives: '11 WRX DGM Ltd., '13 BRZ SSM Ltd.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Ok, I stand corrected for the Subaru hill holder assist, I had no idea they'd put something on the market that was so obtrusive and ill-implemented. It does make me want to go test drive a WRX just to see how bad it is [the last WRX I test drove was around '09, but it was on Florida-flat roads].

The "handbrake thing" is exactly how it works on my TDI, which goes like this: As you begin engaging the clutch and adding some accelerator pedal, you simultaneously slowly remove e-brake in proportion to how much clutch you're letting out. The net effect is you're not bogging the engine or dragging the e-brake. All this happens within 1/2 to 1 second typically. Practice makes perfect.
I really don't understand all the hate directed towards hill assist in Subarus. I have it on my '11 WRX and I've never stalled while it's operating. I just had to adjust from not having it on my '02 WRX, but I actually like the feature. I also live in a really hilly area, so maybe I just became more experienced with it vs. other owners.

It's easy to compensate for once you've had it kick in a couple times. I'd like to have it on the BRZ, but I also wouldn't miss it.
arkybrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #184
DRACHENV6

Drives: tata nano
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
^^ Hill Holder has been the death of many a clutch.

The funny thing is, I am unable to do the handbrake thing. I just don't have the timing right. I have to hot-foot a hill start and have no trouble doing so and pulling away smoothly. It's not difficult.

NO. The 15 cold weight of the oil will not allow your engine to properly lubricate itself at start up. If you are in a really hot environment or consistently drive your car hard, you could consider moving up to a 0W-30 or a 5W-30.

However, it's even better to upgrade the QUALITY of your oil instead of the weight of your oil. Switch to Red Line oil if you're really worried about 0W-20. It has a much higher HTHS rating than about any other US oil.

I agree with the 15 cold weight possibly being a bad idea. I dont know how redline performs (never found the testing certifications for it), but if you have time you should check out the oil certifications for the different oil weights across Mobil 1's synthetic lineup (its a pdf somewhere on their website).

In short: M1 5w30 looks to be the best in terms of standardized testing for oil breakdown over time and lubrication at high loads. It would be my choice in this car (at the cost of better fuel efficiency).

It would be interesting to see how the redline oil stacks up. I have a car that takes 0w20 and I have been using 5w30 Mobil 1 extended performance since after break-in.
DRACHENV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #185
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Break-in discussions on automotive forums can get more heated and vicious than even Political threads. I try really hard to stay out of them.

Here's my wisdom:

The truth lies between the two methods. Going too gentle is just as bad as going too hard on the engine. Best to keep it around 4K for up to 1000mi with occasional pulls to redline in 2nd or 3rd when the oil is fully warmed.

Maybe I should throw myself on the grenade and start a break-in thread to pull the discussion out of this one.
Lol I was debating starting one...but I didn't know how well it would turn out. I would like to hear other's wisdom though. Also, wouldn't taking the car to redline occasionally in the first 1000 miles basically nullify all the care you take in keeping the car under 4k the rest of the time?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #186
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe I should throw myself on the grenade and start a break-in thread to pull the discussion out of this one.

Btw, we already have a break-in thread. Under the engine subsection.

Edit: Link to current thread

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ighlight=break

Last edited by tranzformer; 03-15-2012 at 11:45 AM.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #187
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grst1 View Post
According to SoA representative I talked yesterday this car won't have it.... The car he drove me in didnt' have it for sure. He had to use E-brake to start up the hill
Haha what a sucker, learn to drive a manual.
slizoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #188
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACHENV6 View Post
I agree with the 15 cold weight possibly being a bad idea. I dont know how redline performs (never found the testing certifications for it), but if you have time you should check out the oil certifications for the different oil weights across Mobil 1's synthetic lineup (its a pdf somewhere on their website).

In short: M1 5w30 looks to be the best in terms of standardized testing for oil breakdown over time and lubrication at high loads. It would be my choice in this car (at the cost of better fuel efficiency).

It would be interesting to see how the redline oil stacks up. I have a car that takes 0w20 and I have been using 5w30 Mobil 1 extended performance since after break-in.
The FA20 being a new engine, it's preferences for oil is unknown. But in the past, Mobil 1 hasn't had the best of history in Subarus. It also isn't regarded very highly at BobIsTheOilGuy.com. So I'm staying away from it.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #189
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
The FA20 being a new engine, it's preferences for oil is unknown. But in the past, Mobil 1 hasn't had the best of history in Subarus. It also isn't regarded very highly at BobIsTheOilGuy.com. So I'm staying away from it.
Then what is recommended for Subaru's? This will be my first ever Subaru so I'm coming from the dark here.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #190
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneday View Post
I find it fascinating that the auto u/d windows is getting so much praise and attention...I've been using it in my tC since 2005.
Some of us only drive old cars since new cars have sucked for many many years
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #191
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
Then what is recommended for Subaru's? This will be my first ever Subaru so I'm coming from the dark here.
If you want an easily obtainable off-the-shelf oil, Penzoil Platinum is a good choice. It's liked quite a bit at BITOG. If you want the best protection, it's difficult to beat Red-Line oil as it has a very high HTHS (High Temperature, High Sheer) rating.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #192
oneday
Opinionated

Drives: Something Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Some of us only drive old cars since new cars have sucked for many many years
Except for the awesome window technology in my tC, I mostly agree with you.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #193
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
I've had bad experiences with mobil 1 5w30 in my subie. A lot of others have, too- including lots of spun rods on that oil for some reason. (yes yes, even though it is the factory recommended oil for 911s...)

I use redline, and like it a LOT. The car feels much better with redline in it than with any other oil.
Tainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #194
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
I've had bad experiences with mobil 1 5w30 in my subie. A lot of others have, too- including lots of spun rods on that oil for some reason. (yes yes, even though it is the factory recommended oil for 911s...)

I use redline, and like it a LOT. The car feels much better with redline in it than with any other oil.
I hate it when my dealer puts Mobile 1 in my car after check ins, I prefer Castrol.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #195
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
For people saying 5w-30, isn't 0w-30 a better idea since you have much lower cold start viscosity?
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #196
jer305

Drives: Datsun 280Z
"●Vehicles with a manual transmission: To make your vehicle more visible
to other drivers, the daytime running lights turn on automatically whenever the engine is started and the parking brake is released. Daytime
running lights are not designed for use at night."

Does this mean when you see someone on the track drifting the DLR will turn off when they pull the e-brake? lol
jer305 is offline   Reply With Quote