follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Arizona

User Tag List
JonMotoring

Old 03-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #21967
ntaphse

Drives: beater
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
Don't wory it's just gem. However link to info on what I missed out on? Of there is debate toss one to a local ill tune it for free (this is supposed to be a kind gesture). Or hell if you want to send us a rental and some dybo money @Ninjin is on speed density n/a retune should only take 1-2 flashes to tweak cams and ignition!
Ah no wonder.

Basically the Airaid (which I designed, full transparency) was deemed a "bad intake" by the forum due to a couple of outspoken members and a certain tuner named Visconti who ended up being blacklisted himself after writing bad tunes and even burning down someones car with his flexfuel kit. After all the damage was done Bill at Delicious Tuning now says it's the best intake available. He made 200 whp on his development car with E85 and Airaid only, and now he's recommending it for the Innovate supercharger.

Thanks for the offer, but our intake doesn't require a tune either, just like all of our other kits. We do the work on the front-end (CAD, flow bench, dyno, etc) to ensure the MAF gets the correct reading and drivability is the same as stock. An intake that requires a tune is a poorly designed intake by a company without the resources to design and/or manufacture something correctly.

/rant
ntaphse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ntaphse For This Useful Post:
J. O'Grimm (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #21968
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaphse View Post
Ah no wonder.

Basically the Airaid (which I designed, full transparency) was deemed a "bad intake" by the forum due to a couple of outspoken members and a certain tuner named Visconti who ended up being blacklisted himself after writing bad tunes and even burning down someones car with his flexfuel kit. After all the damage was done Bill at Delicious Tuning now says it's the best intake available. He made 200 whp on his development car with E85 and Airaid only, and now he's recommending it for the Innovate supercharger.

Thanks for the offer, but our intake doesn't require a tune either, just like all of our other kits. We do the work on the front-end (CAD, flow bench, dyno, etc) to ensure the MAF gets the correct reading and drivability is the same as stock. An intake that requires a tune is a poorly designed intake by a company without the resources to design and/or manufacture something correctly.

/rant
I personally really like my AiRaid intake, I didn't know you worked for AiRaid but you have one local who is really please with his. It was one of the first modifications I bought.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #21969
ntaphse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
I personally really like my AiRaid intake, I didn't know you worked for AiRaid but you have one local who is really please with his. It was one of the first modifications I bought.
Cool thanks Cross. You've probably seen us over in the Corvette world too then. It's interesting how much credibility we have in some worlds - Mustang, Camaro, FJ Cruiser, Nissan Titan, just to name a few. Then I come over here and people can't spell Airaid and think it's some piece of junk by a shadetree company that's going to dry up and disappear.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ntaphse For This Useful Post:
Cross (03-03-2014), J. O'Grimm (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #21970
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ah no wonder.

/rant
this is very true about intakes i feel a number of companies "cheated" by poor'y working with the maf housing and if you look at intake dynos all of the ones that add power are running leaner and shifting the calculated load thus false power gains and once the fuel trims settle the power fades or even drops in some cases. intakes such as injen create horrible low cfm turbulence that just make life difficult. However if an intake had quality r&d behind it and it was decided that the maf housing size its self needed to be altered in without turbulence that simply requires a maf scale that keeps the maf table logarithmic for tuned folks i am keen on the idea for people attempting to push the limits NA.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #21971
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Garage
Quote:
Cool thanks Cross. You've probably seen us over in the Corvette world too then. It's interesting how much credibility we have in some worlds - Mustang, Camaro, FJ Cruiser, Nissan Titan, just to name a few. Then I come over here and people can't spell Airaid and think it's some piece of junk by a shadetree company that's going to dry up and disappear.
I have but I admit I went Blackwing for my Corvette just because I got a killer deal on it and the IceBox to go with it. But it looks like I might need to change here shortly so I will have to look at the C5 AiRaid I know I have seen the C6 model and it looks great. Everyone who has it has had nothing but good results from it.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #21972
Shad0ez

Drives: 2013 Raven Black
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
this is very true about intakes i feel a number of companies "cheated" by poor'y working with the maf housing and if you look at intake dynos all of the ones that add power are running leaner and shifting the calculated load thus false power gains and once the fuel trims settle the power fades or even drops in some cases. intakes such as injen create horrible low cfm turbulence that just make life difficult. However if an intake had quality r&d behind it and it was decided that the maf housing size its self needed to be altered in without turbulence that simply requires a maf scale that keeps the maf table logarithmic for tuned folks i am keen on the idea for people attempting to push the limits NA.
Where in the world did you come up with this assumption
Old 03-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #21973
ntaphse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
I have but I admit I went Blackwing for my Corvette just because I got a killer deal on it and the IceBox to go with it. But it looks like I might need to change here shortly so I will have to look at the C5 AiRaid I know I have seen the C6 model and it looks great. Everyone who has it has had nothing but good results from it.
I just designed a new intake for the C5 that includes an air bridge and integrates a couple of features that made the Blackwing work so well. http://airaid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=250-292

We're also working on a new C6 kit with carbon fiber as an option, and of course C7 is on the way too.
Cross (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #21974
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Garage
Quote:
I just designed a new intake for the C5 that includes an air bridge and integrates a couple of features that made the Blackwing work so well. http://airaid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=250-292

We're also working on a new C6 kit with carbon fiber as an option, and of course C7 is on the way too.
Very nice. When I bought my Blackwing it was just the filter and Ice Box. Now that I have pretty much decided its time for a 100 shot I wanted to put a jet at the air-bridge but the K&N one I have is really in need of replacement.

This is just what I would need to do that, I like it.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #21975
ntaphse

Quote:
Sure, you could do that. We have a few "tune required" intakes that change the ID at the MAF to flow more air. Once you rescale they make good power. However our logic is that not everyone wants to spend the money on a tune just to run an intake, so most of our kits are designed to run correctly right out of the box on the factory tune.

Also, yes, some companies make the car run lean to make easy power. Always look at AFR when looking at a dyno sheet (or better yet LTFT on a scanner) to see if they kept it in a safe range and still made power. Fuel trims should be very close to stock.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ntaphse For This Useful Post:
J. O'Grimm (03-03-2014), SirBrass (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #21976
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Considering that this is a tuner platform, and assuming that positive tuning reception by more tuners here would help, would y'all be willing to make such an intake for our cars?

Or was the fallout bad enough to consider the 86 market a market that won't give a reasonable ROI on the necessary development?

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #21977
ntaphse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Considering that this is a tuner platform, and assuming that positive tuning reception by more tuners here would help, would y'all be willing to make such an intake for our cars?

Or was the fallout bad enough to consider the 86 market a market that won't give a reasonable ROI on the necessary development?

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.
We have talked about it because it would be an easy mold to make. But yeah, like you said, the powers that be are a little gun shy to produce anything else for this market.
J. O'Grimm (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #21978
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
And if some locals here were willing to help promote the brand as something other than as a JAI (Just Another Intake), but as a good USA-made ready-to-tune product, like JDL or Nameless?

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
J. O'Grimm (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #21979
Shad0ez

Drives: 2013 Raven Black
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Injen intake for sale. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're interested. It's under 3 months old.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #21980
Lischynski
Weendog

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1393880695530.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  41.6 KB
These should be arriving any day, and since I only need one, I figured I would ask if anyone wants the other. $10 sound fair?
Lischynski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, fr-s, mesa, phoenix, scion, tucson, we need a subforum