follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #225
racing_reject_001

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I changed about 3 times before I found what I was really good at and enjoyed. Don't give up hope that you will succeed and be patient. Don't know about there but if I was starting over here I would look at the trades. So many people have moved away from them Millwrights and Electricians around here are very, VERY hard to find and can make more money then the Managers in the plant.
A few people have mentioned that here as well that good trades people are hard to find but thanks for the tip ill look more into that
racing_reject_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #226
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing_reject_001 View Post
A few people have mentioned that here as well that good trades people are hard to find but thanks for the tip ill look more into that
Check and see if any of your automotive science credits can be carried over to something like millwright. You would be surprised what can sometimes be used in those trades.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #227
racing_reject_001

Quote:
Check and see if any of your automotive science credits can be carried over to something like millwright. You would be surprised what can sometimes be used in those trades.
Googled that and found three with in an hour of me near boston massachusetts so thanks for that i am looking into that now seeing if there is local training in my area as well
The Following User Says Thank You to racing_reject_001 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #228
Tcoat

Quote:
Googled that and found three with in an hour of me near boston massachusetts so thanks for that i am looking into that now seeing if there is local training in my area as well
Let us know how it works out!
racing_reject_001 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:05 PM   #229
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I changed major 2 times with in one day switched from computer science to physics and from physics to engineering. Decided to stick with civil/environmental engineering graduated with a BS
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brandonblt2 For This Useful Post:
MrFisty (02-18-2016), raven1231 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #230
racing_reject_001

will do, im just tired of working for $13.00 an hour and want more, saving for a car, house and vacation arent cutting it with this pay
Old 02-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #231
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I changed about 3 times before I found what I was really good at and enjoyed. Don't give up hope that you will succeed and be patient. Don't know about there but if I was starting over here I would look at the trades. So many people have moved away from them Millwrights and Electricians around here are very, VERY hard to find and can make more money then the Managers in the plant.
Oddly enough, a couple years ago when I was trying to find a big boy job, I was desperately trying to get on somewhere as an electrician apprentice. Most places wanted you to be in your 2nd or 3rd year.

Also, the Millwright thing, I'll disagree with. It's not entirely worth it to go through school as a millwright. The reason for that, is a lot of companies (not all though) would rather hire an electrician and teach them millwrighting through OJT. That's what TMMC did with my dad, but he doesn't even do electrician stuff anymore and hasn't for almost 8 years, so he may be an odd man out in that situation. (My uncle is also the maintenance dept. manager at a Linamar plant and says the same thing though. He's an electrician too, so there may be some bias.)

For me personally, I'm going to stay in my current field for a few more years, buy a house, get some tenants which will pay all of my bills then go back to school (mechanical engineering) and then come back to my current job and live the cushy office life. The thought of going back to school and making maybe 20k a year is scary when I'm making substantially more than that right now.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #232
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Oddly enough, a couple years ago when I was trying to find a big boy job, I was desperately trying to get on somewhere as an electrician apprentice. Most places wanted you to be in your 2nd or 3rd year.

Also, the Millwright thing, I'll disagree with. It's not entirely worth it to go through school as a millwright. The reason for that, is a lot of companies (not all though) would rather hire an electrician and teach them millwrighting through OJT. That's what TMMC did with my dad, but he doesn't even do electrician stuff anymore and hasn't for almost 8 years, so he may be an odd man out in that situation.

For me personally, I'm going to stay in my current field for a few more years, buy a house, get some tenants which will pay all of my bills then go back to school (mechanical engineering) and then come back to my current job and live the cushy office life. The thought of going back to school and making maybe 20k a year is scary when I'm making substantially more than that right now.
Maybe a Toyota thing. Many (most) Union shops won't let that happen. Do you have all your schooling done for electrician? The apprenticeship thing can be worked around if all of the school work is complete.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #233
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Maybe a Toyota thing. Many (most) Union shops won't let that happen. Do you have all your schooling done for electrician? The apprenticeship thing can be worked around if all of the school work is complete.
No, I figured I'd be able to find something without the pre-apprenticeship program but it was a no go. Even through Helmets2Hardhats I couldn't find anything.

Just not in the cards for me at this point. I just interviewed for a "new" job internally with my employer which will put me in a much more personal role with clients, so there is a lot of potential networking that can happen. Even if I make a more lateral move, but to a bigger company (Union Gas, TransCanada, Enbridge, etc) I can have some really good opportunities there to move up from fieldwork to office work. The whole contractor thing sucks when I see what my company charges per hour for my services and I don't even see a quarter of it.

Edit: My schooling is also totally irrelevant to my current field. I finished half of a criminology degree, and decided I didn't want to do LE work anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #234
Tcoat

Quote:
No, I figured I'd be able to find something without the pre-apprenticeship program but it was a no go. Even through Helmets2Hardhats I couldn't find anything.

Just not in the cards for me at this point. I just interviewed for a "new" job internally with my employer which will put me in a much more personal role with clients, so there is a lot of potential networking that can happen. Even if I make a more lateral move, but to a bigger company (Union Gas, TransCanada, Enbridge, etc) I can have some really good opportunities there to move up from fieldwork to office work. The whole contractor thing sucks when I see what my company charges per hour for my services and I don't even see a quarter of it.

Edit: My schooling is also totally irrelevant to my current field. I finished half of a criminology degree, and decided I didn't want to do LE work anymore.
We are always hiring CNC ops in Woodstock and would train you. The work is great but the pay sucks to start though.
Cole (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #235
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
We are always hiring CNC ops in Woodstock and would train you. The work is great but the pay sucks to start though.
Did the factory thing for a little while. Wasn't for me, and I'm not big on making 800 of the same parts in a day. Pretty happy with what I'm doing right now, but the travelling for 24 days straight is a killer.

Working on getting a Monday to Friday job with as much OT as I want, doing pretty much the same thing but a little more varied day to day. Hopefully my interview yesterday pans out to a job offer. I think it will since I have the most seniority and the most experience of all who applied, but they wanted an Electrical/Electronics Degree or Diploma and I don't have one. Don't think that should impact me too much though.

The only bad thing is that my potential boss wants me to move closer to Markham and I don't know if I really want to do that. Though, I could just go a bit more north on the 404 and find a nice, little town to move to.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #236
Tcoat

Quote:
Did the factory thing for a little while. Wasn't for me, and I'm not big on making 800 of the same parts in a day. Pretty happy with what I'm doing right now, but the travelling for 24 days straight is a killer.

Working on getting a Monday to Friday job with as much OT as I want, doing pretty much the same thing but a little more varied day to day. Hopefully my interview yesterday pans out to a job offer. I think it will since I have the most seniority and the most experience of all who applied, but they wanted an Electrical/Electronics Degree or Diploma and I don't have one. Don't think that should impact me too much though.
You make 800 parts a day here and we would probably fire your ass in a week!
Old 02-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #237
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you want to make money, be either a plumber or an actuary. Being an actuary requires a college degree but not an advanced degree. It also pays really well, even though it's boring as shit.

Plumbers make a lot because, well, most people don't want to go where they are willing to go... also involving shit.
Tcoat (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #238
Yoda

Drives: Crystal Black BRZ(Sophia)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BS in Network Administration but somehow got stuck doing server stuff. One more year and a few more certs and I can get the job I really want.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote