follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 03:52 AM   #2563
EzyBrzy

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Looked through youtube, but didn't find it. Any sound clips or the catted headers with stock exhaust?
Old 08-23-2015, 04:30 AM   #2564
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyBrzy View Post
Looked through youtube, but didn't find it. Any sound clips or the catted headers with stock exhaust?
Not hard enough...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbeARw0gxB8"]FT-86 SpeedFactory Prototype UEL Catted Header Dyno - All Stock!! - YouTube[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
EzyBrzy (08-26-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #2565
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Any plans to get a EL catted header released in 1-2 years?

Old 09-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #2566
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

So, i read this whole thread today and my head is about to EXPLODE haha.

*please note, due to budgeting i can only do 1 expensive mod per year*

I know i want this header, it's for me

I have a Axel back exhaust and drop in filter.

A few days ago was thinking of the OFT as the first thing...but after reading 117 pages i noticed many have issues with the OFT and this header....so now I'm thinking, should i get his header first, and then for a tune...is it worth the OFT? Maybe a professional tune is the way to go? (also, reading that some people said stage 1 tune didn't feel much different from stock)

I see some guys get the CEL code and some don't....but does the CEL affect driving? Like would it be bad having it for 6months? I don't drive in the winter and i won't have to worry about emissions until 2020. So it would only be for about 6 months driving without a tune.

I'm kind of leaning as the header first, and then trying to figure out if i want a OFT or a professional tune which is ECUtek right? haha

Old 09-07-2015, 03:58 PM   #2567
Avo1789

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post

A few days ago was thinking of the OFT as the first thing...but after reading 117 pages i noticed many have issues with the OFT and this header....so now I'm thinking, should i get his header first, and then for a tune...is it worth the OFT? Maybe a professional tune is the way to go? (also, reading that some people said stage 1 tune didn't feel much different from stock)

I see some guys get the CEL code and some don't....but does the CEL affect driving? Like would it be bad having it for 6months? I don't drive in the winter and i won't have to worry about emissions until 2020. So it would only be for about 6 months driving without a tune.

I'm kind of leaning as the header first, and then trying to figure out if i want a OFT or a professional tune which is ECUtek right? haha
I've been running these headers with OFT stage 1 tune and it has been running very smooth. Only other mod is catback and a drop in filter. Feels like the car is actually pulling now lol.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Avo1789 For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 04:49 PM   #2568
jaorocks1

Drives: 92 Prelude
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Think this would pass CA smog? lol would they be able to tell?
Old 09-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #2569
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

I ran the header by itself for quite some time with no tune without any CEL issues. When I did the OFT stage 1 tune, I felt like I got better MPG vs the stock tune, but the CEL did pop up. I used RomRaider to disable the code so it wouldn't come back. Increased power from the OFT Stage 1 tune was inconsistent (some days it seemed like it had more pep than stock tune, other days it seemed to be the same or slightly worse). Running with the cat efficiency CEL might be ok, but I imagine it would affect performance (computer pulls timing?).

I went ahead and bought the custom E-Tune service Shiv offers through OFT and can say that it has made quite a bit of difference in the consistency of power and overall the car feel much peppier than it did with the stock tune or the Stage 1 tune (note that this is with this header and a few other bolt on type mods). Although I believe the E-Tune was ultimately worth it, it did take them more than 2 months to finish tuning and I had to constantly remind them that I was still waiting for an update (my typical turn around for datalogs was less than 48 hours).
The Following User Says Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #2570
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avo1789 View Post
I've been running these headers with OFT stage 1 tune and it has been running very smooth. Only other mod is catback and a drop in filter. Feels like the car is actually pulling now lol.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Good to know, I'm sold on the oft again cause of the custom tune option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
I ran the header by itself for quite some time with no tune without any CEL issues. When I did the OFT stage 1 tune, I felt like I got better MPG vs the stock tune, but the CEL did pop up. I used RomRaider to disable the code so it wouldn't come back. Increased power from the OFT Stage 1 tune was inconsistent (some days it seemed like it had more pep than stock tune, other days it seemed to be the same or slightly worse). Running with the cat efficiency CEL might be ok, but I imagine it would affect performance (computer pulls timing?).

I went ahead and bought the custom E-Tune service Shiv offers through OFT and can say that it has made quite a bit of difference in the consistency of power and overall the car feel much peppier than it did with the stock tune or the Stage 1 tune (note that this is with this header and a few other bolt on type mods). Although I believe the E-Tune was ultimately worth it, it did take them more than 2 months to finish tuning and I had to constantly remind them that I was still waiting for an update (my typical turn around for datalogs was less than 48 hours).

Awesome! I'm sold on the oft now knowing I can do the custom tune which I will defiantly do. I will pick up the oft first then for stage 1 and then pick up the header and custom tune based on another thread that I made that suggested I do tune first and headers second.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:11 AM   #2571
AllStar0419

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Any plans to get a EL catted header released in 1-2 years?
Looks like there's one in the works.

https://instagram.com/p/7sigsNnLc4/
The Following User Says Thank You to AllStar0419 For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #2572
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaorocks1 View Post
Think this would pass CA smog? lol would they be able to tell?
Its possible they won't find any codes, but it will definitely fail visual inspection.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:01 AM   #2573
BReeZee

Drives: BRZ
Ran this catted header with oft stage 1 for 10k miles until cel came on.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #2574
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BReeZee View Post
Ran this catted header with oft stage 1 for 10k miles until cel came on.
Really Cel still came on with OFT? weird....
This is the thing that has steered me away from this header. I liked the sound and that it was quiet...but i see a lot of people have issues with the tune. Like you get CEL....stage 2 runs poorly on it unless you do a custom tune....just better off going catless oft stage 2

Old 10-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #2575
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Really Cel still came on with OFT? weird....
This is the thing that has steered me away from this header. I liked the sound and that it was quiet...but i see a lot of people have issues with the tune. Like you get CEL....stage 2 runs poorly on it unless you do a custom tune....just better off going catless oft stage 2
There is no OFT tune for our header so of course it will issue a CEL. An Ecutek or custom OFT map will be needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to FT-86 SpeedFactory For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (10-21-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #2576
Super Wabbit

Drives: 2015 BRZ
So if I can condense the past few pages (check my "math"): This header is specifically does the following:
  1. Can reduce/eliminate the torque dip without tuning or further modifications.
  2. Adds a little bit of rumble without significantly increasing the sound level of the exhaust.

It is a standalone part, minimizing the amount of work that needs to be done to eliminate the torque dip. If you're using this in combination with other mods, you may have to get a custom tune...as we've come to expect.

So it seems like a lot of the negative comments, specifically those centered around CEL codes, are coming from a misunderstanding of what this product is intended to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Super Wabbit For This Useful Post:
FT-86 SpeedFactory (10-25-2015)

Closed Thread

Tags
catted uel header, ft86speedfactory header, is my order ready yet?