follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2021, 11:41 AM   #15
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,034 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Running an oil cooler would pay for itself quickly in not having to change oil every 2-3 events...
? Is the Porsche dealer doing your oil changes? FWIW I feel like this is super-conservative, but in my case it lines up with normal changes anyway... Oil test results I've seen suggest minimal to no degradation of oil properties at this level of changing. Of all the expenses I incur tracking my car, oil changes is WAY down on the list of $$$/track mile. If you want to absolutely get maximum usage per oil change, you could send periodic samples to Blackstone and base changes on that.

Quote:
but anyway, 254F in a single lap of Monticello isn't acceptable IMO.
Based on what? 254F is no big deal, at all, for any decent synthetic.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (09-16-2021), Blighty (08-29-2021), Tokay444 (08-30-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #16
s30series

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
? Is the Porsche dealer doing your oil changes? FWIW I feel like this is super-conservative, but in my case it lines up with normal changes anyway... Oil test results I've seen suggest minimal to no degradation of oil properties at this level of changing. Of all the expenses I incur tracking my car, oil changes is WAY down on the list of $$$/track mile. If you want to absolutely get maximum usage per oil change, you could send periodic samples to Blackstone and base changes on that.

If I changed my oil every two track days I wouldn't worry about 270degree oil as well.

Some of us use the BRZ as a track car AND a daily driver and that just isn't practical. Millers Nanodrive is not cheap oil

I don't know what a "track season" is. I go every chance I can get throughout the year.

You know whats nice? Boosting the shit out of my outback over and over while laughing in the dadwagon and seeing oil temp get up to mid 230s....then lay off for a second and instantly goes back down....cause Millers isn't cheap for that sucker either

Last edited by s30series; 08-26-2021 at 12:16 PM.
s30series is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s30series For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 12:47 PM   #17
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,482 Times in 772 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

We'll have to agree to disagree, I'm not changing my oil on my daily driver once a month... $60 a month gets old QUICK

It's not about breakdown of the oil from the heat anyway, it's about how thin it gets. Yes better oil helps, but you're still going to need to change it often when it's getting that hot. Just spend the $500 to add an oil cooler and it'll pay for itself in a couple of years of tracking while also better protecting the engine in the meantime.

For the record, 254F in a single lap with chicanes at Monticello is pretty hot. Like barely better than the FA20 without an oil cooler... It's not like it reached thermal equilibrium in one lap so surely it was going to get hotter.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
OwlDance (08-26-2021), timurrrr (08-26-2021), TommyW (08-26-2021), Ultramaroon (09-01-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #18
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,302 Times in 719 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Based on "this wasn't even a full lap"?
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (08-26-2021), TommyW (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #19
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree, I'm not changing my oil on my daily driver once a month... $60 a month gets old QUICK

It's not about breakdown of the oil from the heat anyway, it's about how thin it gets. Yes better oil helps, but you're still going to need to change it often when it's getting that hot. Just spend the $500 to add an oil cooler and it'll pay for itself in a couple of years of tracking while also better protecting the engine in the meantime.

For the record, 254F in a single lap with chicanes at Monticello is pretty hot. Like barely better than the FA20 without an oil cooler... It's not like it reached thermal equilibrium in one lap so surely it was going to get hotter.
Those water-oil coolers don’t do much at all. In Miata land, you just stack a air-oil cooler on top of it. My NB2 has one of these.
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kona61 For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #20
ZDan

Quote:
2-3 event is a rule that works for me, like I said it's probably overly conservative. I wouldn't bet on an oil cooler saving you much $$$ on oil changes if you base it on analysis of oil to determine when it is beginning to degrade. Good synthetics shouldn't be degrading at 275F.

Quote:
It's not about breakdown of the oil from the heat anyway, it's about how thin it gets.
30 weight at 275F is as thick as 20 weight at 250F.
You choose viscosity based on oil temps, it's not a big deal.

Quote:
Yes better oil helps, but you're still going to need to change it often when it's getting that hot. Just spend the $500 to add an oil cooler and it'll pay for itself in a couple of years of tracking while also better protecting the engine in the meantime.
I don't think an oil cooler is buying you *nearly* as much additional protection as many seem to think. Good synthetic can take MUCH higher temps, choose viscosity based on operational temps and you should be fine. Meanwhile engines have been lost due to leaking oil coolers. The risk people think they're avoiding is minimal to non-existent, while the risk they are *adding* is non-zero but this is rarely considered

Quote:
Yeah, the question is at what temp it reaches equilibrium. I wouldn't jump the gun and assume that 254F in a single lap means it's going to run too hot to track it without an oil cooler, I'll be surprised if that is the case.

FWIW my '17 only gets to ~235-240F in one lap, I bet the new car's coolant/oil heat exchanger has it starting out at a higher oil temp but may have a lower equilibrium temp vs. 270F +/- a few degrees for my car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Blighty (08-29-2021), Tokay444 (08-30-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 01:53 PM   #21
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,302 Times in 719 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't think an oil cooler is buying you *nearly* as much additional protection as many seem to think. Good synthetic can take MUCH higher temps, choose viscosity based on operational temps and you should be fine. Meanwhile engines have been lost due to leaking oil coolers. The risk people think they're avoiding is minimal to non-existent, while the risk they are *adding* is non-zero but this is rarely considered
Humans are notoriously bad at estimating risk.
Even harder to say which of two risks is actually higher.

Most people with FT86's seem to agree that the risks associated with running the oil hot is higher than mechanical risks associated with using an oil cooler.
I don't think it's rarely considered (I certainly considered it, and saw it being brought up in multiple discussions), but statistically I've heard of a lot more engines that failed due to lubrication issues than coolers failing.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (08-26-2021), stilesg57 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 02:35 PM   #22
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This is a weird conversation.

The oil gets hot on these new cars.
Upgrade the oil cooler.
Nah, don't upgrade the oil cooler. Change the oil more frequently.
The oil cooler will pay for itself in the long run versus more frequent oil changes.
It won't pay for itself if you change the oil at the same frequency as without one.

What?
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (08-27-2021), mistople (08-26-2021), new2subaru (08-26-2021), weederr33 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #23
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,349 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
This is a weird conversation.

The oil gets hot on these new cars.
Upgrade the oil cooler.
Nah, don't upgrade the oil cooler. Change the oil more frequently.
The oil cooler will pay for itself in the long run versus more frequent oil changes.
It won't pay for itself if you change the oil at the same frequency as without one.

What?

Eh, you can add run an oil cooler AND drop the oil every 2-3 events lol
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:07 PM   #24
gen3v8
30 minute maintenance

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,194 Times in 613 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
My turbo Subis cook everything in 20 mins on warm days. My Brz sits on 106C oil and under 100C water (warm day 25C), with an oil cooler. The car needs warming up and not cooling down. Runs continuously with driver changes (Wifey and Me). Brakes run cooler Tires don`t go off easily. The car is slightly slower in PB laps and does more laps faster than the turbos without a cool down.

I change oil every 2 events or 5K of daily. 5w30 Castrol edge.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #25
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/en...l-temperature/

TLDR:
"A full-synthetic oil will withstand sump temperatures in excess of 300 degrees, and for hard-core professional racing, some oval-track race teams are experimenting with ultra-thin, specially formulated, race-only synthetics operating at 350 degrees or even higher."

You're welcome.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (08-27-2021), ZDan (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 08:42 PM   #26
s30series

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/en...l-temperature/

TLDR:
"A full-synthetic oil will withstand sump temperatures in excess of 300 degrees, and for hard-core professional racing, some oval-track race teams are experimenting with ultra-thin, specially formulated, race-only synthetics operating at 350 degrees or even higher."

You're welcome.

I'm sure the FA20 & FA24 and it's bearing tolerances, oil pump, lifters, etc were designed with 300 degree plus oil temperature in mind.
s30series is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s30series For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (08-27-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 08:43 PM   #27
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
This "well the oil can handle it" narrative is almost comical. Heat is the enemy in almost all mechanical applications. Oil is not really even in the overall equation. Go to any track. The hoods are open to let heat out and never open because, well things are just too darn cool.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (08-27-2021), OwlDance (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 09:00 PM   #28
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
This "well the oil can handle it" narrative is almost comical. Heat is the enemy in almost all mechanical applications. Oil is not really even in the overall equation. Go to any track. The hoods are open to let heat out and never open because, well things are just too darn cool.
I usually leave my hood closed at the track between sessions. Coolant temps never get much above 200F on track so underhood temps shouldn't be outside design envelope. I don't open my hood after driving in stop/go traffic with the A/C on in the summer either, I'd bet underhood temps get hotter from that.