follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #15
sshole
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
I would advise against the STI bar. A flexible strut bar does not make sense. Someone has to provide me that engineering data to explain the reason behind that interesting concept.
Koenigsegg utilizes a similar concept in their Triplex suspension for their Agera. It's essentially the floppy STI bar, but in a much more expensive package. You get the benefit of lateral load sharing between both sides of the car, but bound/rebound is still independent of each wheel instead of connected by the bar.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbgjRBT4ltM"]Triplex Suspension Explained - /Inside Koenigsegg - YouTube[/ame]
sshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshole View Post
Koenigsegg utilizes a similar concept in their Triplex suspension for their Agera. It's essentially the floppy STI bar, but in a much more expensive package. You get the benefit of lateral load sharing between both sides of the car, but bound/rebound is still independent of each wheel instead of connected by the bar.

Not at all the same thing.
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #17
sshole
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
Not at all the same thing.
Similar in theory. I never said they were the same thing. Separate the forces acting on the axles.
sshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #18
SubieNate

The koenigsegg setup is completely different as it's an actual part of the suspension. It actuates with compression, extension, roll etc. A bar mounted to the chassis can't even begin to do the same thing, dampers and flexibility don't make it magical.

Nathan
Old 04-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #19
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
A flexible strut bar does not make sense. Someone has to provide me that engineering data to explain the reason behind that interesting concept.
http://www.saabsunited.com/2012/08/d...rut-brace.html

It's all in the physics.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #20
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
That article just stated what a rigid bar would do to the system. Also the fact that he neglected that wheels actually travel vertically goes to show how simplified the model he was describing. Well that is unless he's saying you're running some suspension kit that sucks in general...
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #21
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
It's not that hard to understand why the flexible STi bar work like it does. Compresses during corners but retains independence in vertical movement.

That being said I got a Grimmspeed bar during their GB and I'm happy with it. It's simple, does what it's supposed to do, and won't get in the way of any camber plates. And it makes a handy place to mount my reservoirs to.

The bar in the OP honestly looks a little too convoluted and more for show than actual performance with all the sections bolted together. There are a number of camber plates which also wouldn't work with it.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #22
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Which camber plates are you refering to? Ive never seen a subaru front strut top camber plate that goes outside of the strut top hole so there must be something I don't know about.

And the convoluted design keeps it away from the A/C line. The material thickness they used for this bar also makes it look a bit strange, but its much beefier than something like a Cusco bar that has 1/8" steel strut top mounts. The mounts on this MATSU bar are 1/2" thick excluding the recessed bolt holes.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #23
SubieNate

Well. Ground control for one. It's likely many of the job raising type would have an issue.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #24
jumbaco

Drives: FD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Strut bars effectiveness has always been a debate on car forums. BUt the bar does look good, I like that it's all black, price is good too
jumbaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #25
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
It's not that hard to understand why the flexible STi bar work like it does. Compresses during corners but retains independence in vertical movement.

That being said I got a Grimmspeed bar during their GB and I'm happy with it. It's simple, does what it's supposed to do, and won't get in the way of any camber plates. And it makes a handy place to mount my reservoirs to.

The bar in the OP honestly looks a little too convoluted and more for show than actual performance with all the sections bolted together. There are a number of camber plates which also wouldn't work with it.
Yea...except you can bend it laterally too...

Suspension is there for a reason so it can absorb those bumps.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #26
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
That article just stated what a rigid bar would do to the system. Also the fact that he neglected that wheels actually travel vertically goes to show how simplified the model he was describing. Well that is unless he's saying you're running some suspension kit that sucks in general...
Lol, I found it on a 10 second google search, so no harm no foul.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #27
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Just for reference, this strut bar was a compromise for me. Its not the best one out there, nor is it my ideal solution. I couldn't justify spending huge amount of money on one, nor could I find one I like I really wanted.

I also would normally state buy a quality suspension first, but even the stock struts/springs are extremely well sorted on this car, I don't plan on making the move to coilovers. Plus the STI tS model comes stock with the STI bar, which tells me something, and one of the first engine bay photos we ever saw under the hood looked like this:

That triangulated super-beefy welded in bar is my IDEAL solution, but not practical and I have no interest in permanently changing the chassis of this car, I plan on keeping it forever in as good of shape as I can.

If I were to design one myself, it would probably look like this:

The lateral bar as far back as possible, triangulated, using ALL the strut tower bolts including the extra ones on each side that the factory supports use, and preferably of a lighter weight. The hotchkis bar is close, but not quite there, and was up there on my list but price and not-using-enough-strut-bolts were downsides for me.
We had thorough discussion about front strutbars and concluded that this design is ideal.

solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:50 AM   #28
major quicknap

Drives: blue sardine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
We had thorough discussion about front strutbars and concluded that this design is ideal.

I don't believe there was consensus. There was some support for this design as well.
Attached Images

major quicknap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to major quicknap For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (04-11-2014)