follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Site Announcements / Questions / Issues

View Poll Results: Should Politics and Religion be off limits for the forum?
Yes 5 50.00%
No 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
You know what, I'd really hate to see anything that might tear this community apart imo. Cause some have different opinions, faith, or politics. And yeah people can choose not to look, but its hard to not to look and see what your fellow member are saying. Some can take it and others can't roll with it. So it probably be a safe bet to just keep that kind of stuff out I guess.
So just in case someone is offended by someone else's opinion we should prevent people from being opinionated? I know this is a pretty "extreme" case of just staying away from politics, but it's the slippery slope you go down when making things off limits.

I'm not arguing that it should be a free for all. For example we don't need to tolerate, sexism, racism, excessive profane language, etc. But I think a little discourse every once in a while is healthy.

I would like to think that the majority of people visiting are going to be adults and be able to handle it, but that's probably hoping for too much.

Personally I like people being allowed to express their views, even if they contain religious or political connotations. This may need a bit more heavy handedness from the mods to nip something in the bud if trouble is brewing, but I wouldn't be opposed to that.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #16
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Its a car forum....
The Following User Says Thank You to blu_ For This Useful Post:
Zaku (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #17
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Not this again has anyone ever tried you know messaging the admin you know "the source of the issue" It's like posting this is to cause a rukus and get a mob going to burn down the king's palace, cause the populace isn't happy.
I'm not trying to cause a ruckus, I'm trying to get the mods and admins involved in the conversation. So far the couple of times I've brought it up there hasn't been an answer.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_ View Post
Its a car forum....
So then lets get rid of "off-topic".
Old 05-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #19
blu_

Thats a strawman argument. Chat about video games and movies doesn't cause instant drama and offense. You can argue we need to be adults, but adults in general can't even talk about politics without getting worked up.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
I'm not trying to cause a ruckus, I'm trying to get the mods and admins involved in the conversation. So far the couple of times I've brought it up there hasn't been an answer.
I'm going to be as blunt as possible in the hopes that they do come out and talk.

But basically your not answering the question here,

Have you even messaged him? Have you tried? to message any of them because if Dave is out here confused and apologetic about it and he has no idea. Seems like no one took the proper steps to be civil about it, was there a PM to Ichi? Hachi? Guff? Dave? Wing?

"Hey you guys, why was this thread deleted? is politics off limits? you should let everyone know that it's not allow please" etc.

It's a little hypocritical when your thread is basically fighting for people to be allowed civil disputes.

When it's a thread here basically

Happen so many time?! Hey Guys everyone else notice like me? Ninja?why no explanation?

I don't know about you but every time I took the proper steps I've gotten answers. Admin and mods are people like us, they have reasons and you never know who hits the report button, what seem like something not offensive to you could be offensive to someone else and they would report it.

Seriously, Not this again

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
blu_ (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Garage
Quote:
I'm going to be as blunt as possible in the hopes that they do come out and talk.

Have you even messaged him? Have you tried? to message any of them because if Dave is out here confused and apologetic about it and he has no idea. Seems like no one took the proper steps to be civil about it, was there a PM to Ichi? Hachi? Guff? Dave? Wing?

"Hey you guys, why was this thread deleted? is politics off limits? you should let everyone know that it's not allow please" etc.

It's a little hypocritical when your thread is basically fighting for people to be allowed civil disputes.

Happen so many time?! Hey Guys everyone else notice like me? Ninja?why no explanation?

I don't know about you but every time I took the proper steps I've gotten answers. Admin and mods are people like us, they have reasons and you never know who hits the report button, what seem like something not offensive to you could be offensive to someone else and they would report it.

I haven't sent a PM because I think it's a question that needs to be answered publicly. In hindsight I probably worded the initial post wrong, but the main premise is whether or not someone simply being offended should be cause for closing a thread, or if we're going to establish some forum rules with regards to what's cool and what's not cool. The more members we get the more this is going to be a problem.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #22
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It's more that political and religious debates always have a way of devolving into shouting matches filled entirely with personal attacks. You may be able to promise to keep it civil but emotions run deep with those sort of topics and when someone who doesn't have your level of self-control is moved to anger on an emotional level that's when the attacks start. It's inevitable and should be avoided in places not designed for that sort of thing.

I've seen good friends become bitter enemies because of politics and religion.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
The Following User Says Thank You to SVTSHC For This Useful Post:
blu_ (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #23
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,096 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the support!

As for the delete goes, it's safe to say it wasn't any of mods. Hachi has a reason for deleting and ninja mod. Like Zaku said, if you send PM, Hachi or other mods, we'll reply ASAP. Hachi tend to be extremely busy with work, so reply might take longer... BUT he will reply.

Now, we survived without having those topic for 3 yrs (well some of old members), why now?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #24
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
It's more that political and religious debates always have a way of devolving into shouting matches filled entirely with personal attacks. You may be able to promise to keep it civil but emotions run deep with those sort of topics and when someone who doesn't have your level of self-control is moved to anger on an emotional level that's when the attacks start. It's inevitable and should be avoided in places not designed for that sort of thing.

Added a poll! (is a poll political? )
Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #25
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,096 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
Well politics & religion is one of the top reasons for a war/battle... and we can see that from history.

Just something about politics & religions get ppl to heat up more than other topics.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #26
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
I haven't sent a PM because I think it's a question that needs to be answered publicly. In hindsight I probably worded the initial post wrong, but the main premise is whether or not someone simply being offended should be cause for closing a thread, or if we're going to establish some forum rules with regards to what's cool and what's not cool. The more members we get the more this is going to be a problem.
I'm going to point out one more thing

The "Question" Section is the one below this forum,Do you want to get their attention "properly" and do this right? or are you just trying to cause a rukus? because if I was in your shoes and I wanted to cause a scene I would post it off topic. When I know the proper thing to do is post in the Question Section, which is there for reasons like this one, I'm sorry to sound so harsh but this is just trouble and almost nothing more than an attention grabbing publicity stunt. You are successful, you got people in here talking an somewhat arguing.

But it's missing the point the answer to the question itself. First put it in the right place, second regardless of what "you think" the proper procedure is to message a staff. Because right now as I see it, it's the off topic section. The staffs don't owe an answer in that section and obviously two staff with no knowledge has answered.

and if record shows, the admin has answered questions on the section below before when asked properly.

It's not that I have any problems with you, your a good acquaintance and I respect you. But I really hate it when big issues like this aren't dealt with in a proper procedure.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Old 05-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #27
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Being offended and topics that have always been a problem in the real world are two different things. I've had my share of disputes with certain members that eventually became flame wars but that was my idiotic choice to take it there. I've never seen a unanimous agreement on something political or religious outside of places tailored towards a specific view, however I've ALWAYS seen topics inevitably turn into a trade of attacks ad hominem in places where views might be conflicting.

If I were a mod I'd want to avoid something like that, especially when automotive communities tend to have real life meets. Last thing you want is for someone to roll up rage level five million and falcon punch some other dude in the face for something he said about his religion a year and a half ago. It happens.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #28
blu_

I really don't see how a poll accomplishes anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to blu_ For This Useful Post:
Zaku (05-16-2012)

Closed Thread