follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #15
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ishVR4 View Post
I have seen a few cases of this being reported and I would like to do some tests at some point. Powder coating temps shouldn't ever exceed 450 degrees and from what I have researched, aluminum shouldn't anneal below 600 degrees.

Out of the millions of powder coated wheels out there, I have only seen a handful of reports saying that the wheels were weakened by it. I have to think that the wheels that broke after powder coating either were either defective before the powder coating, or that the coater baked them at temps that were way too high.
I agree that it shouldn't cause issues if it's done correctly, but it's still a risk that people should be aware of.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #16
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Every time powder coating wheels is mentioned, inevitably there will be a following post about the annealing that practically never happens. Why? IDK.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #17
Poodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Every time powder coating wheels is mentioned, inevitably there will be a following post about the annealing that practically never happens. Why? IDK.
Because I've seen in happen... Not to mention new wheels don't come powdercoated.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #18
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Because I've seen in happen... Not to mention new wheels don't come powdercoated.
I've seen a truck hit a bird in flight on the highway once.

Once.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #19
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I did some powder work while in tech school (blower and alternator cover.) I still have the gun/equipment the only thing keeping me from playing with it again is the oven's costs. I was thinking about tig welding up an oven and using a couple of the 1800watt infared heat lamps for curing paint/powder to heat it. Thoughts?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:45 AM   #20
99ishVR4

Drives: 99 3000GT VR-4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I agree that it shouldn't cause issues if it's done correctly, but it's still a risk that people should be aware of.
I agree completely. People should always be aware of what they are doing when modding their car, especially something like wheels.

Quote:
One case of bad news can spread more than a million cases of good news.

Quote:
Loads of new wheels come with either powder primer, powder color, or powder clear, or all 3. Do you know the specifics of how the wheel was powder coated? I would be very interested in this info. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
I did some powder work while in tech school (blower and alternator cover.) I still have the gun/equipment the only thing keeping me from playing with it again is the oven's costs. I was thinking about tig welding up an oven and using a couple of the 1800watt infared heat lamps for curing paint/powder to heat it. Thoughts?
The ovens are definitely the limiting point on powder coating. Honestly, the most difficulty in a powder coating oven is building the structure so if you are going to go through the hassle, I would just install some heating elements wired to a PID controller. Then you will have a fully functioning oven. A lot of coaters have tried to use the infrared heat lamps and some get them to work, the trick is like you said, building an enclosure around the part to keep the heat in. However, I believe a full blown sealed oven is the way to go for ease of use. Plus, most of the infrared heat lamps I have seen are very expensive. Temperature control is another issue you will have to face, I am sure someone has worked out some automated system, but I would imagine you would be sitting there checking the temperature of the part, and turning the heat lamp on and off throughout the entire curing process.

I am not the expert on heat lamps, but I have seen enough coaters ditch them in favor of an oven. I know that there are powder coating factories that use them in a conveyor style and turn out thousands of parts a day, but they have the resources to perfect their procedures.
99ishVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 99ishVR4 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-02-2014), Kiske (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #21
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Two things occurring in sequence does not make cause and effect.

If it did the Jenny McCarthy's of the world would be correct.

The powdercoaters I have worked with generally do wheels at 350 for a longer time, but I really think that is to make people feel better. 400 degrees for 20 minutes should not be anywhere close to changing the crystal structure of aluminum alloy wheels.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #22
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
More random parts that I coated:

I would like to do this, rusting wiper arms are a pet peeve of mine. How did you get the powder to cover the metal inside the hinge joint?
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #23
99ishVR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
I would like to do this, rusting wiper arms are a pet peeve of mine. How did you get the powder to cover the metal inside the hinge joint?
I hung the wiper arm with it bent backwards and sprayed the hinge area first, I then grabbed the un-sprayed ends (wearing gloves) of the wiper arm and bent it the normal way and finished spraying the whole thing.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #24
Poodles

Quote:
I've seen a truck hit a bird in flight on the highway once.

Once.

Yet statistically that happens all the time... You're not helping your point.

Quote:
I agree completely. People should always be aware of what they are doing when modding their car, especially something like wheels.

Yep, just rather people be aware of the risks so they can make better educated decisions.

Quote:
One case of bad news can spread more than a million cases of good news.

True. Much like Rota wheels having a bad reputation that is undeserved.

Quote:
Loads of new wheels come with either powder primer, powder color, or powder clear, or all 3. Do you know the specifics of how the wheel was powder coated? I would be very interested in this info. Thanks.

Not aware of OEM wheels being powder coated. Much like chrome plating aluminum weakens the metal so the OEMs don't do it. They achieve the look with a chrome plated steel veneer usually (Dodge is well known for this).

The wheel that failed was a forged center from a 3 piece wheel. I'm unsure on the exact process it went through for powdercoating, but the wheel failed soon after, and the car was simply on the highway when the wheel came apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Two things occurring in sequence does not make cause and effect.

If it did the Jenny McCarthy's of the world would be correct.

The powdercoaters I have worked with generally do wheels at 350 for a longer time, but I really think that is to make people feel better. 400 degrees for 20 minutes should not be anywhere close to changing the crystal structure of aluminum alloy wheels.

Annealing can occur at temps that low, it's the temperature and the time it's at that temp that really matters.

Not trying to sidetrack the thread on this...
Old 10-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #25
99ishVR4

Quote:
Yet statistically that happens all the time... You're not helping your point.

Yep, just rather people be aware of the risks so they can make better educated decisions.

True. Much like Rota wheels having a bad reputation that is undeserved.

Not aware of OEM wheels being powder coated. Much like chrome plating aluminum weakens the metal so the OEMs don't do it. They achieve the look with a chrome plated steel veneer usually (Dodge is well known for this).

The wheel that failed was a forged center from a 3 piece wheel. I'm unsure on the exact process it went through for powdercoating, but the wheel failed soon after, and the car was simply on the highway when the wheel came apart.

Annealing can occur at temps that low, it's the temperature and the time it's at that temp that really matters.

Not trying to sidetrack the thread on this...
No, powder coating discussion is welcome in this thread and this often comes up. If I come across some wheels, I plan on doing some tests to see if I can break them before baking and then after baking at various temps. It won't be too scientific but if the wheels are free, I am up for doing some tests.

My thought on wheels that are weakened by powder coating is that the coater is using too high of an outgas temp. Aluminum wheels are often baked in the oven before coating to outgas them. The temps and time need to be higher than that of the powder, it is done so that the wheels do not outgas when you are actually coating them. I have seen some people using 500 degrees for an hour and I believe that may be where the issue is. I'll post it up on the site if I do the tests.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #26
99ishVR4

Just bumping this up to see if anyone else is interested in powder coating.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #27
99ishVR4

If you would like some clarification on the exact steps needed to prep a part for powder coating, check out this article: Prepping for Powder Coating - Step by Step

Also feel free to ask your powder coating questions.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #28
99ishVR4

Learn the correct spraying techniques and how to overcome orange peel and other defects when powder coating.

http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2015/...wder-coat.html