follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #3781
Bykov

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-VO View Post
That's what I was thinking too, but why make such a big fuss over turning it even a little bit when changing out the pulley?

Interesting. I didn't realize there was a big fuss made over turning it backwards while changing pulleys. I guess I do still have some reading to do. Make sure you follow up if you get an answer!
Bykov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:25 AM   #3782
D-VO

Drives: Whiteout FR-S, Evo 8 RS
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Ok. They were talking about how the Rotrex works over in the Jackson Racing Tread:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1460289

I called KW today: I was told that it is strongly advised against turning the unit counter clockwise as you would risk the screws holding the planetary gears together from loosening up.

And there's also an image that helps explain the answer I was given from that Jackson thread.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=282
Old 03-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #3783
D-VO

Hey guys. I just wanted to share my experience that I had with the belt breaking situation: I'm on about 20,000 miles since I had that belt, and all I've been doing was tightening it very slightly whenever I hear chatter coming from that area until it's gone. After a while I thought it may have been the pulleys that were making the noise, and after switching them out I realized that the chatter was still apparent. At that point I called kraftwerks to ask if it was normal to have some chatter coming from the pulleys. The technician said it is natural to have some chatter still coming from the cogged pulleys, so I adjusted the belt until I heard the least amount of noise coming from the belt and pulleys. The next day was the first day that I had boost drop off on me. 6 days after that the belt broke. After replacing the belt I realize that the chatter was gone. So, going by that experience I would change the belt out every 15 - 20000 miles aligning with the oil change.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #3784
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
@D-VO are you sure you didn't over-tighten the belt due to all your correction just based on chattering?
also, this belt seems to be very temp dependent, at cold it seems loose, but then after about 15 mins it seems very tight.
i just set mine to the specs when installed, then rest about a month later and that's it, don't touch it anymore.
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #3785
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Drives: Baby LFA
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Seems my rotrex locked up. Was running great yesterday and then on the way home I heard some deeper tone, almost like something was rubbing (whine was still present). Got home and opened up the hood and it definitely did not sound right.

Took apart SC, both belts were fine, bearings were fine, took out the rotrex and the blades are very resistant to spinning. Anyone else have this issue? It's the C30
FRSTRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #3786
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Drives: Baby LFA
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSTRM View Post
Seems my rotrex locked up. Was running great yesterday and then on the way home I heard some deeper tone, almost like something was rubbing (whine was still present). Got home and opened up the hood and it definitely did not sound right.

Took apart SC, both belts were fine, bearings were fine, took out the rotrex and the blades are very resistant to spinning. Anyone else have this issue? It's the C30
FRSTRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #3787
vgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptivaBlueTeg View Post
Add me the owners! Mine came in this week, installing next Friday.

I got the kit with ecutek,lic and tune. Anyone that got this, is this tune locked? I have a UEGO wideband in my second O2 port and want to be able to turn off the CEL. I'm going from OFT to ECUTEK so learning the UI. I noticed some of the documentation varies from the newest update causing slight learning curve.
congrats, c30 or c38?
is it kraftwerks' tune? you could contact them and ask about disabling dct code
Old 03-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #3788
D-VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSTRM View Post

The rotrex is not supposed to spin freely.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #3789
D-VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
@D-VO are you sure you didn't over-tighten the belt due to all your correction just based on chattering?
also, this belt seems to be very temp dependent, at cold it seems loose, but then after about 15 mins it seems very tight.
i just set mine to the specs when installed, then rest about a month later and that's it, don't touch it anymore.
No I caught that temp thing as well. The chattering in mine was constant. Last year during the winter the belt flapped around a bit during start up but went away after a few minutes as you said. But the bearings in the cogged pulleys were very loose. I had them installed since july of 2014 I think. I was told that having too loose of a belt could cause the bearings to go bad, which is why I changed them prior to the belt breaking. I feel like a lot of this could be resolved if there was a hydraulic tensioner instead of the manual one.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #3790
CaptivaBlueTeg

Drives: WRB Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
congrats, c30 or c38?
is it kraftwerks' tune? you could contact them and ask about disabling dct code
Yup, contacted them last week. Their supposed to be sending an updated tune, haven't heard back since but, I'll touch base again.

Word of warning for install, especially in New England were the salty air corrodes the aluminum. Note: Not Kraftwerks fault. Careful with the lower bracket that bolts to the block. Had both bolts start to creak halfway through, stopped so I could remove and run a re-thread tap to clean out. Hex stripped trying to back out immediately. So, now having to drill the head of the bolt off so I can pull them. Since these holes have nothing in them previously it's easy to cake up from the corrosion. I knew better to run a re-tap before, but I was just too excited to get this on. Now I'll be waiting a week or more for the replacement bolts.
CaptivaBlueTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #3791
vgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-VO View Post
No I caught that temp thing as well. The chattering in mine was constant. Last year during the winter the belt flapped around a bit during start up but went away after a few minutes as you said. But the bearings in the cogged pulleys were very loose. I had them installed since july of 2014 I think. I was told that having too loose of a belt could cause the bearings to go bad, which is why I changed them prior to the belt breaking. I feel like a lot of this could be resolved if there was a hydraulic tensioner instead of the manual one.
yeah, i think that's the only drawback of this kit, wish they had a spring loaded or a hydraulic tensioner.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vgi For This Useful Post:
D-VO (03-19-2016), Freeman (03-19-2016), GsxrMe (03-19-2016), Sgtfluffy16 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 01:36 AM   #3792
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
just out of curiosity, has anyone have any tips on thermostatic plates that work with our kit? I've been looking into a DIY oil cooler, but looking for a thermostatic one since I run this car around at times in the chicago winter.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #3793
D-VO

@KraftWerks 'Poke poke' Hydraulic tensioner please?
Old 03-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #3794
Jcl

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
just out of curiosity, has anyone have any tips on thermostatic plates that work with our kit? I've been looking into a DIY oil cooler, but looking for a thermostatic one since I run this car around at times in the chicago winter.

Derale 25792 thermostat
Kraftwerks oil sandwich plate (626-12-1000)
Oil cooler of your choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jcl For This Useful Post:
pgranberg11 (05-17-2016)