follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Such a hazard. I know enough people who rely on the little blind spot indicator and beeping for changing lanes... It's maddening to think that these same people at some point drove without these technologies. I feel the same about people who exclusively use reverse camera's to reverse, I've actually watched someone back into a car while actively looking at the reverse cam............. ????
Oh I didn't say she didn't check her blind spots only that her mirrors are not set properly. She does a very good shoulder check even with the indicator. She just has to take longer at the shoulder check than she would if the mirrors were set up properly. She outright refuses to use the back up camera since the doesn't "trust" it.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #30
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh I didn't say she didn't check her blind spots only that her mirrors are not set properly. She does a very good shoulder check even with the indicator. She just has to take longer at the shoulder check than she would if the mirrors were set up properly. She outright refuses to use the back up camera since the doesn't "trust" it.
That was me for a while with the backup camera's, but then realised they help with getting just a bit closer in a parking spot and aren't used for actually parking, just fixing/adjusting your parking.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #31
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by housecat View Post
I have a 2014 BRZ with all the factory mirrors and have no blind spots because I set up my mirror angles correctly.
Well aren't you special.

You have blind spots, even with the mirrors properly adjusted. You just don't realize it. The blind spot is not in the lane next to you, but in the next lane over. It comes into play on multi-lane highways and when entering traffic from an entrance ramp. The blind spot is there even with the Rexpeed mirrors. You still have to shoulder check to clear those areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa85 View Post
How long have you had the Rexpeed wide angle mirrors? Have you had any issues with them getting like weird bubbles in them?
The first set I bought were used, and they had bubbles when I received them. The heating element is sandwiched right into the mirror backing, and the electrical connector is glued right into the the backing sheet. On the ones I bought, it appears that pulling the connector loose to uninstall them pulled the coating right away from the glass and caused a bubble there. The way that connector sits in there, it wouldn't surprise me if just some rough handling while installing them could cause it to delaminate. Did you just install them and go, or have you pulled them on and off for some reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwimby1 View Post
I don't much care for the blue, but I'll try to get used to it.
The visibility is great during the day, but at first I hated mine at night. The extra angle brings in the headlights of more cars behind you, creating more glare. It also makes everything a little smaller and creates more confusion in the image you see. They put that blue coating on there to help reduce some of that extra glare. For me, the blue coating darkens everything and makes it even harder to make out the sources of the extra lights. However, I got used to it and figure the trade off is worth it overall for the extra visibility.

If you don't like them, you can always go back to stock. Just be extra careful removing them if you have the heated versions so that you don't introduce bubbles that will prevent you from being able to sell them.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #32
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,935 Times in 16,471 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well, I don't blame her.

I picked up a u-rent-em car back in Saint Louis a few summers ago, that had one of them back up cameras.

Yep, the screen shot, which looked like you were looking through a scope of a snipers rifle, lined me up real good with the target ....... but, it didn't yell STOP! .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #33
extrashaky

By the way everyone, it's not Rexspeed. It's peed, not speed. Rexpeed. As in:

"Rex peed on the petunias again. Damned dog."

I don't really care if you call it Rexspeed. I just wanted to poke fun at their stupid company name.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
8RZ (04-25-2018), bababooey (04-26-2018), bcj (04-25-2018), Tcoat (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #34
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, I don't blame her.

I picked up a u-rent-em car back in Saint Louis a few summers ago, that had one of them back up cameras.

Yep, the screen shot, which looked like you were looking through a scope of a snipers rifle, lined me up real good with the target ....... but, it didn't yell STOP! .....

humfrz
The thing is that hers does yell stop. If you don't stop after it yells the car stops for you.
humfrz (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #35
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
By the way everyone, it's not Rexspeed. It's peed, not speed. Rexpeed. As in:

"Rex peed on the petunias again. Damned dog."

I don't really care if you call it Rexspeed. I just wanted to poke fun at their stupid company name.
I will now sit here randomly chuckling for the rest of the day. The HR Manager next door will once again think I have lost it.
extrashaky (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #36
housecat
Computer Scientist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Well aren't you special.
You have blind spots, even with the mirrors properly adjusted. You just don't realize it. The blind spot is not in the lane next to you, but in the next lane over. It comes into play on multi-lane highways and when entering traffic from an entrance ramp. The blind spot is there even with the Rexpeed mirrors. You still have to shoulder check to clear those areas.
That's why I don't change more than one lane at a time

If there's a situation where I really need to switch two lanes, or my mirror angle doesn't cover the angle I'm entering from a ramp, I'm obviously going to shoulder check. I don't expect my mirrors to look 4 lanes over for me, but if that's what you call a blind spot, fine I agree, I have blind spots
Old 04-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #37
humfrz

Quote:
The thing is that hers does yell stop. If you don't stop after it yells the car stops for you.
Well, in that case, that feature will be a must have on my next new car ......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-25-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #38
humfrz

Quote:

If there's a situation where I really need to switch two lanes, or my mirror angle doesn't cover the angle I'm entering from a ramp, I'm obviously going to shoulder check. I don't expect my mirrors to look 4 lanes over for me, but if that's what you call a blind spot, fine I agree, I have blind spots
Don't forget about this one ......

humfrz
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #39
extrashaky

Quote:
The problem arises when you want to move over one lane and the car in your blind spot suddenly appears out of nowhere trying to take the same lane you are from the other side. It's also a problem when entering traffic on an entrance ramp, where you can't see the car in the next lane because the next lane is not right next to the ramp. This is particularly dangerous in my area because as soon as you check over your shoulder for traffic coming up in the blind spot, the stupid fuck in front of you will slam on her brakes because she doesn't know how to merge.
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
bcj (04-25-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #40
Spacemane969

Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90916
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacemane969 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #41
Circa85

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The first set I bought were used, and they had bubbles when I received them. The heating element is sandwiched right into the mirror backing, and the electrical connector is glued right into the the backing sheet. On the ones I bought, it appears that pulling the connector loose to uninstall them pulled the coating right away from the glass and caused a bubble there. The way that connector sits in there, it wouldn't surprise me if just some rough handling while installing them could cause it to delaminate. Did you just install them and go, or have you pulled them on and off for some reason?
I've got the non-heated version, which I mounted and haven't touched since. I'll probably just replace them and if the next pair does it too I'll just live with it. The bubbles don't seem to distort anything, they just make the blue not as blue.
Circa85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #42
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Part of defensive driving is to expect the unexpected (or even the expected as well). I always shoulder check regardless of what car I'm driving, even if the car has cameras and sensors for lane changes. A little patience goes a long way when trying to ensure your merging path is clear. Survey the cars around you and use your turn signal 5 seconds before you even make your move.
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m.box.design For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (04-26-2018)