follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2022, 07:33 AM   #29
Ogt

Drives: ‘13 AT FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It’s not really that.. it’s getting the majority of the benefits an aftermarket intake would cost for nothing but maybe 5 minutes of your time. Since you refuse to see what is in the video.

5-10whp throughout rpm without filter (some spots it’s 0 gain because I know you will use that to be dismissive)
0-1whp gain without filter and k&n dropin

Unlike the first gens.. the stock filter flows quite well and there’s no benefit of an aftermarket one aside from potential sound.

Last edited by Ogt; 07-14-2022 at 07:44 AM.
Ogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:44 AM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogt View Post
It’s not really that.. it’s getting the majority of the benefits an aftermarket intake would cost for nothing but maybe 5 minutes of your time. Since you refuse to see what is in the video.

5-10whp throughout rpm without filter
0-1whp gain without filter and k&n dropin

Unlike the first gens.. the stock filter flows quite well and there’s no benefit of an aftermarket one aside from potential sound.
Not sure who you are talking to?

There was little benefit to the first gen as well. It also was a very effective system right from stock. The new ones are not much different.

Getting 5-10 on a dyno is well within the variance of each pull so not really showing anything anyway. Expecting a 10HP increase from removing just one part of a filter is just not realistic.

The 2016 facelift cars got a 5HP increase from improved intake, exhaust, tuning and other tweaks so how is it reasonable to state double that increase from removing a thing carbon overlay?
ROFL it's Waffle (07-19-2022), weederr33 (07-20-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 08:52 AM   #31
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not sure who you are talking to?

There was little benefit to the first gen as well. It also was a very effective system right from stock. The new ones are not much different.

Getting 5-10 on a dyno is well within the variance of each pull so not really showing anything anyway. Expecting a 10HP increase from removing just one part of a filter is just not realistic.

The 2016 facelift cars got a 5HP increase from improved intake, exhaust, tuning and other tweaks so how is it reasonable to state double that increase from removing a thing carbon overlay?
Tcoat, evidence on gen2 shows otherwise. This was one the discussions when the specs started showing up back in 2020 (IIRC). Japan had 232hp and US 228hp. Most of that was initially thought to be related to tune, but after some comparison, the charcoal filter was identified as main difference.

Engineering explained did a similar testing on other platforms and got similar results. I saw also this being done on BMWs with similar results.

The change will not be effective IF the intake is not a bottleneck, but data shows that this is not the case for those (my best guess, OEM develops the system without the filter as globally I don’t think is needed, and then slap the filter because CAFE)
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stonehorsw For This Useful Post:
DylanJZA (07-22-2022), OND (05-04-2023)
Old 07-14-2022, 09:00 AM   #32
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
Tcoat, evidence on gen2 shows otherwise. This was one the discussions when the specs started showing up back in 2020 (IIRC). Japan had 232hp and US 228hp. Most of that was initially thought to be related to tune, but after some comparison, the charcoal filter was identified as main difference.

Engineering explained did a similar testing on other platforms and got similar results. I saw also this being done on BMWs with similar results.

The change will not be effective IF the intake is not a bottleneck, but data shows that this is not the case for those (my best guess, OEM develops the system without the filter as globally I don’t think is needed, and then slap the filter because CAFE)
OK so that is 4HP not 10.
Not disputing it will make some difference just the degree of difference.
The JDM is probably tuned slightly differently as well so how much of that 4HP is tune and how much is actual mechanical filtration.
Wishful thinking is wishful.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #33
Stonehorsw

Quote:
The JDM is probably tuned slightly differently as well so how much of that 4HP is tune and how much is actual mechanical filtration.
Got your point. Yes, for the 10hp on thumbnail they had to search on the middle of the curve and got a peak hp difference, which may be skewing the data.
My opinion that this was done more as a clickbait.

In the video, he admits that the real number should be 4hp.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stonehorsw For This Useful Post:
CaptainFenderbaum (08-08-2022), CincyJohn (07-14-2022), DocWalt (07-19-2022), DylanJZA (07-22-2022), Tcoat (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 09:57 AM   #34
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
I don't really care to get in a pissing contest about 4 v 10hp and where on the torque curve you have to go to get it. I believe the video as well as other tests and the fact that these charcoal filters only exist in jurisdictions where the manufacturer thinks they might be required is all the evidence you need that they restrict flow (and flow that the current engine tuning can take advantage of). Heck, you don't even have to do that!! Look at the stupid thing for gosh sake.

The important thing that I take away from this video, is that despite how much folks love their oiled K&N filters and "cold air" intakes (which actually take in hotter air than the original intake), if you want to do something to your intake/filter set-up, taking out the useless charcoal diaper is definitely the first (and probably the only) thing you should do.

Last edited by CincyJohn; 07-14-2022 at 10:34 AM.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
Ogt (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 10:26 AM   #35
Stonehorsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
I don't really care to get in a pissing contest about 4 v 10hp and where on the torque curve you have to go to get it. I believe the video as well as other tests and the fact that these charcoal filters only exist in jurisdictions where the manufacturer thinks they might be required is all the evidence you need that they restrict flow (and flow that the current engine tuning can take advantage of). Heck, you don't even have to do that!! Look at the stupid thing for gosh sake.

The important thing that I take away from this video, is that despite how much folks love their oiled K&N filters and "cold air" intakes (which actually take in hotter air than the original intake), if you want to do something to your intake/filter set-up, taking out the useless charcoal diaper is definitely the first (and probably the only) thing you should do.
You are barking to the wrong tree
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stonehorsw For This Useful Post:
Ogt (07-14-2022), patsimca (07-15-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 10:33 AM   #36
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
You are barking to the wrong tree
Was agreeing with you, responding to Tcoat. Yes - should have quoted him, not you. Fixed now...
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
Ogt (07-14-2022), Stonehorsw (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 01:30 PM   #37
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
I hate California. Lived here all my life it’s a shit hole. And everyone who runs it is a grifter.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:35 PM   #38
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post

Agree with all that. In fact I even said to just cut the filter out and use the frame as a spacer.
The thing is that making outrageous claims gives people expectations that just are not going to be met. All in all four does not equal ten.
Everybody can get as defensive as they want I am not insulting the fucking thing just trying to clarify a very simple point.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:38 PM   #39
Tcoat

Quote:
Got your point. Yes, for the 10hp on thumbnail they had to search on the middle of the curve and got a peak hp difference, which may be skewing the data.
My opinion that this was done more as a clickbait.

In the video, he admits that the real number should be 4hp.
That is my battle!
Stonehorsw (07-14-2022), weederr33 (07-20-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 02:31 PM   #40
joemysterio

Drives: Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
I hate California. Lived here all my life it’s a shit hole. And everyone who runs it is a grifter.
And yet I'd rather be in California than anywhere else. But let's not get into that other than it's too strict on emissions and it's a pain in the ass.
joemysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joemysterio For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 02:52 PM   #41
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemysterio View Post
And yet I'd rather be in California than anywhere else. But let's not get into that other than it's too strict on emissions and it's a pain in the ass.
And everybody may as well get used to the fact that the rest of the world (including the other States) are all headed down the same road. California is just leading the charge.
Ultramaroon (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #42
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
And everybody may as well get used to the fact that the rest of the world (including the other States) are all headed down the same road. California is just leading the charge.
Some states don't have as much industrial pollution so vehicle emissions aren't as critical.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote