follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #29
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
That's Defense by blocking his line or breaking his concentration!

TBH, even in stock trim a FWD vs RWD comparo is rhetorical...
not any more than rwd vs rwd
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #30
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4agze View Post
yes its a track at night lol but thats like 7yrs ago I dont do it anymore

only thing I see wrong with a fwd is when elevation change like down hill & off camber turns a fwd will understeer but got to admire how well build a ITR, I remember back then when honda stated that they will bring the ITR here in US soil on limited number & it will be under the acura name and as i remember a lot of honda heads rolled and at the end acura Type-R was a success actually sold out half before it hit the showroom. this reminds you of anything like what going on with the scion FRS right now.
that has next to nothing to do with what wheels are driving the car. the only time a fwd will understeer where a rwd wont is under acceleration
Old 11-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #31
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
that has next to nothing to do with what wheels are driving the car. the only time a fwd will understeer where a rwd wont is under acceleration
Im guessing you never been to a track before

I'll give you a video sample, horse thief mile has an infamous elevation drop listen to what KT says about the hasport EP3 civic, I driven my ae86 on this track few times and still I cant fully get hold of the left right drop.

Last edited by 4agze; 11-06-2011 at 08:19 PM.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #32
fatoni

Quote:
Im guessing you never been to a track before

I'll give you a video sample, horse thief mile has an infamous elevation drop listen to what KT says about the hasport EP3 civic, I driven my ae86 on this track few times and still I cant fully get hold of the left right drop.
ive been on a track before. that track even. i think you kinda proved my point by bringing up the difficulty you have with your ae86. showing a case where a fwd has touble in a particular corner does not speak to the fact that it is because of the fwd or that it is not the case in rwd cars.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #33
4agze

Garage
Quote:
ive been on a track before. that track even. i think you kinda proved my point by bringing up the difficulty you have with your ae86. showing a case where a fwd has touble in a particular corner does not speak to the fact that it is because of the fwd or that it is not the case in rwd cars.
No i didnt prove your Point when i say "cant get Hold Of the left and right drop" im not talking about my car was understeering or over steering its my confidence and comitment on that turn, You say "the only time a fwd will understeer where a rwd wont is under acceleration" watch the video again he was going down hill turning making a lot of understeer.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #34
fatoni

Quote:
No i didnt prove your Point when i say "cant get Hold Of the left and right drop" im not talking about my car was understeering or over steering its my confidence and comitment on that turn, You say "the only time a fwd will understeer where a rwd wont is under acceleration" watch the video again he was going down hill turning making a lot of understeer.
again, missing the point. im not saying a fwd car wont understeer. what im saying is that things like that will happen to rwd cars as well. the problem isnt inherent to fwd and fwd alone
Old 11-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #35
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've driven FWD and RWD on the street, autocross and the track. I've experienced understeer in both. He was correct but it's probably better to add the word "properly setup" in front of FWD. A FWD economy car setup for massive understeer due to engineers making the design as safe as possible for random bad drivers driving the car will understeer more than a properly setup FWD car. The same is true for a RWD car and using more throttle in any situation where you want to break the laws of physics (such as the example below) will make the problem worse in BOTH FWD and RWD. If you do get enough power in RWD to get the car to rotate after trying to break the laws of physics you'll just have all four tires sliding instead of the front two.

If you take a corner where the maximum entry speed is say 50mph in both a FWD and RWD car at 70mph in RWD or FWD, you are going to exceed the maximum traction available from the front tires, and the car will understeer.

So yes, the ONLY time a properly setup and driven FWD car will understeer where a RWD car won't is under acceleration. It's just takes a different approach to correctly setup a FWD car to eliminate the understeer (assuming the car is properly driven, as again, improperly driven cars will ALL understeer regardless of which and how many wheels are putting the power to the ground).
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #36
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
i once witnessed a new lotus elise understeer like you wouldn't believe at my local autocross. the guy had no idea how to drive his car, so he mashed the gas and made it understeer everywhere. anything can understeer.
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #37
4agze

Garage
I didnt say only fwd understeer offcourse all drivetrain fwd, rwd & awd can understeer, my point was fwd are more prone to understeer on a downhill And off camber turn read my post again.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:00 AM   #38
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
The problem with FWD is recovering from understeer, not to mention inability to have more than X amount of usable power.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:46 AM   #39
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
yes its a track at night lol but thats like 7yrs ago I dont do it anymore

only thing I see wrong with a fwd is when elevation change like down hill & off camber turns a fwd will understeer but got to admire how well build a ITR, I remember back then when honda stated that they will bring the ITR here in US soil on limited number & it will be under the acura name and as i remember a lot of honda heads rolled and at the end acura Type-R was a success actually sold out half before it hit the showroom. this reminds you of anything like what going on with the scion FRS right now.
I could have told you that Integras suck at offroading!

I remember when I saw the '97 ITR in Championship white for 27K @ Ball Honda, I thought to myself, "that is one overpriced Integra!"

Quote:
not any more than rwd vs rwd
True, too many different variables that can potentially skew the outcome; hp, weight, wheelbase etc.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #40
fernan2

Drives: Wrx
i wish i could drive like Keiichi.
fernan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #41
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
I could have told you that Integras suck at offroading!

I remember when I saw the '97 ITR in Championship white for 27K @ Ball Honda, I thought to myself, "that is one overpriced Integra!"
they actually made awd integers for the Japanese market lol those parts plus some awd crv parts have been used to make an awd pikes peak ITR which was then converted to RWD.

27k with ac? Only overpriced a couple grand then. Have you ever driven one, especially a stock non fucked up one?
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #42
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
they actually made awd integers for the Japanese market lol those parts plus some awd crv parts have been used to make an awd pikes peak ITR which was then converted to RWD.

27k with ac? Only overpriced a couple grand then. Have you ever driven one, especially a stock non fucked up one?
If they made a RWD Integra, that would have been it! This one didn't have AC and marked up since it was the first year in the US. I drove my buddy's black Type R that was lightly modded before but it was around town so nothing serious.