follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #29
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
you did that yourself? kudos
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmookher For This Useful Post:
1strwdcar (12-14-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #30
ForcedFab_Jon

Drives: 240sx 66 Chyrsler
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to ForcedFab_Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shit Luck View Post
so you are saying silverdub's build looks like crap?
I have seen of the pro built parts people pay money for. If you have the proper tools there is no reason you can't build all the plumbing for half price or better.
Sure you still need a turbo, bov, and fueling/ecu, but the guys selling the kits aren't building those either.
No i am not saying that. His looks good. Turbo kits are very basic to me though so his install is clean. To you it maybe very impressive , but to me its just another day in the office. I dont mean that in a bad way either. His setup is very clean for a DIY, I could show you some really crap jobs lol.
His setup is exactly how you piece together a turbo kit, but there is nothing like that available for this car. I am considering making a few parts that DIY people can pickup. a Up pipe and a Downpipes for a T3 setup. He bought a premade manifold and downpipe. He bought a turbo seperate as well as other parts. He made IC pipe. Which is the one thing i wouldnt do that way. Mig welding charge pipes is risky. You can get wire slag inside the pipes that can break off and suck into the engine. I would have tacked the pipes with the Mig and taken them to a local shop to have welded. Which i do for people every day that build their own setups. Hell before i started this post i just welded up a intake plenum for a Crotch rocket. The customer brought me some home made cut outs of aluminum and had them all taped together and marked out and i welded it up into a intake manifold. the cost of one of those would have been hundreds of dollars, I welded it up for like 65 bucks. Its a little funk looking because he wasnt too precise with cutting and lining stuff up, but the welds are nice. If he was to pay me to make that same part it would have been 500-800 bucks, but it would have looked like he paid that much for it too.
ForcedFab_Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForcedFab_Jon For This Useful Post:
1strwdcar (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #31
Shit Luck

Drives: red frs
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I grew up in a family owned shop and we built 410 sprint cars and i worked for a race team for a few years...
its more a matter of having the tools on hand that keep people from doing it themself most of the time. atleast if you have a local source for all the raw materials needed.

i have not decided on a turbo yet but i figure i am gonna end up building most of it myself, once i get around to getting started.
i would post pics of my track car that is all home built but i cant find them, formated hard drive do to a virus. i will get some more when i go up to work out the final cage work.
Shit Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #32
ANTI_LAG

Drives: Ones with Big Turbos
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Cheap-Fast-Reliable, you can only pick 2
ANTI_LAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #33
nonicname
Banned

Drives: it has 4 wheels and a motor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
girl on a yellow bikiniiiii
me can't concentrateeee
nonicname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #34
Shit Luck

so if i can get together a pile of parts that puts the same 7-12psi in the motor as your kit, with the same engine management it wont be as reliable? or as fast?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #35
NemeGuero
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Interesting how its all vendors shitting in this thread.
NemeGuero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #36
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero View Post
Interesting how its all vendors shitting in this thread.
I think they are just telling it like it is, how many cars do you think get brought to them to be fixed after shadetree turbo kits are installed? Probably a lot.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeBoxer For This Useful Post:
AVOturboworld (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #37
Shit Luck

same deal with exhausts...
apparently a 2.5 inch piece of pipe makes more power and is way better if it has a logo welded on it.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #38
ForcedFab_Jon

Drives: 240sx 66 Chyrsler
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ForcedFab_Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shit Luck View Post
so if i can get together a pile of parts that puts the same 7-12psi in the motor as your kit, with the same engine management it wont be as reliable? or as fast?
I never said that. Not once. I said the majority of DIY stuff is cobbled together. How ever you do get quite a few guys with similar backgrounds as yourself that are DIY and turn out impressive setups. I have no issues with people who have basic knowledge and do things the right way. Which the example shown was a good setup like that. But for every one of you there is 20 other people throwing together complete crap and then ruin their cars.

I have no problem building parts to sell you if you don't want to buy a whole kit. If any thing it's less work for me to source the other parts and just sell the hot parts. I have a brz we are using to develop parts, it's a customer car. So if someone wants a small t25/t28 setup we will be doing a gt2871 setup to play with on his car he also only wants around 250-350hp and wants instant spool. I am shooting for a setup using a up pipe to avoid using fluid pumps. And I would like to use stock or aftermarket header and adapt to it. This will help keep the cost down and also make it more enticing for those who jumped on headers and a catback before realizing turbo is so much more fun. I would be perfectly happy selling an up pipe down pipe combo and making it as affordable as I can. I would probably sell many more then If I did whole kits. I don't think many shops look at the fact that parts like that will sell to a person because its reasonably priced and allows them to purchase it then use it later as they can slowly build a setup part by part. It makes it more feasible for people spending 500-800 at a time on mods. Which is easier to save up then say 4500 bucks to get it all at once. It also allows for people to buy used turbos or fmic's to cut costs down as well. All this works in my favor so as soon as we get time freed up to start we will get a prototype build and I will figure out a cost and do a batch order of them.
If you guys are interested let me know. I can do t3 and t25 versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ForcedFab_Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #39
Silverdub
Boostin'

Drives: FRS-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedFab_Jon View Post
No i am not saying that. His looks good. Turbo kits are very basic to me though so his install is clean. To you it maybe very impressive , but to me its just another day in the office. I dont mean that in a bad way either. His setup is very clean for a DIY, I could show you some really crap jobs lol.
His setup is exactly how you piece together a turbo kit, but there is nothing like that available for this car. I am considering making a few parts that DIY people can pickup. a Up pipe and a Downpipes for a T3 setup. He bought a premade manifold and downpipe. He bought a turbo seperate as well as other parts. He made IC pipe. Which is the one thing i wouldnt do that way. Mig welding charge pipes is risky. You can get wire slag inside the pipes that can break off and suck into the engine. I would have tacked the pipes with the Mig and taken them to a local shop to have welded. Which i do for people every day that build their own setups. Hell before i started this post i just welded up a intake plenum for a Crotch rocket. The customer brought me some home made cut outs of aluminum and had them all taped together and marked out and i welded it up into a intake manifold. the cost of one of those would have been hundreds of dollars, I welded it up for like 65 bucks. Its a little funk looking because he wasnt too precise with cutting and lining stuff up, but the welds are nice. If he was to pay me to make that same part it would have been 500-800 bucks, but it would have looked like he paid that much for it too.
Are you saying that ibought my down pipe and manifold and that i mig welded my stuff?
Silverdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #40
1strwdcar
Banned

Drives: 2013 scion frs Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdub View Post
Are you saying that ibought my down pipe and manifold and that i mig welded my stuff?
Exactly how i felt. He has a tig at home and at work.
1strwdcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #41
ANTI_LAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
I think they are just telling it like it is, how many cars do you think get brought to them to be fixed after shadetree turbo kits are installed? Probably a lot.
Theres only one way to produce a turbo kit for half the price, and thats cut quality on labor and materials. Hell the only reason I can offer our turbo system for the price is we buy everything in bulk and fabricate everything in bulk.

Now I dont want to sound like a **** but this thread is an insult to manufacturers. I dont think you should start the thread off by saying I can build the same kit for half the price, it should be called "I can build a kit with cheaper products, less quality welds, untested parts combination, for half the price, then im going to sell 5 of these, make no money because its not possible to profit in this situation, then those that bought them will have a ton of issues then want to return them but ill be long gone because I didn't make any money on them and they will be fucked."

I seen this first hand with the honda community, "manifold" builders selling manifolds for one third the cost of quality ones, people buying them and bring us them to tune on their car. And wouldnt you guess... hey you manifold has horrible boost creep since the wastegate position is incorrect, hey your wastegate cracked off, hey your runner cracked, piss poor welding.

IF YOU DONT HAVE OR ARE STRUGGLING WITH MONEY, DONT BUY A TURBO KIT, WITH MORE POWER SHIT BREAKS, YOU WANTED 250WHP, NOW YOU WANT 300WHP, NOW YOU HAVE TO UPGRADE, IT ALL COSTS MONEY, VICIOUS CYCLE.

AND FYI im reporting this thread as I and the other vendors dont pay money every month so people like you can get on here and bad mouth us and tell everyone you are going to make 5 kits to sell without paying your dues.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ANTI_LAG For This Useful Post:
Enigmus (12-14-2012), JoeBoxer (12-14-2012), nix (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #42
ANTI_LAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdub View Post
He is referring to the OPs build.