follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #29
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Sorry, I was doin' quickly, so it's not the best choppin in the world. I was trying out different types of hatch/liftback styles.
Can you do the one similar to WRX? or you can come up with ur own concept.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #30
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,096 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Can you do the one similar to WRX? or you can come up with ur own concept.
WRX? Like sedan Hatchback ver instead of Coupe hatchback.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #31
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
WRX? Like sedan Hatchback ver instead of Coupe hatchback.
No I mean the rear side view, make it smaller man. I think Civic mugen( EU) is one of the hottest hatchs, maybe you can chop a similar one.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #32
[es vi: eks]

Drives: Subaru Legacy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
AWD would be cool... but I dont mind if its RWD as well. I just want a boxered engined sports coupe. My GF would sold on a convertible verson tho lol

Last edited by [es vi: eks]; 03-14-2010 at 05:32 PM.
[es vi: eks] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #33
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
they would need to COMPLETELY re-engineer the engine mounting. the FT86 has the engine very far back. in order to use any of the current subaru transmissions, the engine needs to be moved in front of the front axle. so they would need to either redesign the entire front of the car, or build a new transmission & front drivetrain from scratch.

btw, I TOLD YOU SO!!! i'm pretty certain if you go and search, you will find me calling BS on AWD from the get-go.

-Mike

I'll believe it when Subaru say so.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #34
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
No I mean the rear side view, make it smaller man. I think Civic mugen( EU) is one of the hottest hatchs, maybe you can chop a similar one.
Are you talkin' bout Honda Civic Mugen Euro-R like this?

If you are... I'll see what I can do and post it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post

I'll believe it when Subaru say so.
LOL I forgot bout the '09 Super GT Legacy GT300. First time I saw that spec, I was mind blown by it. Wasn't this thing weight only 1270~1280 kg?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #35
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMime View Post
I don't want to see AWD for this car. It'll kill the whole idea for this car.....sliding. I think Subaru should use this chassis and extend it a bit to do their own AWD coupe. Let this car be it's own animal: lightweight and RWD

Don't get carried away. They are designing the car to have impeccable balance, response, communication, feel and control. This lends to a car that will not only lend itself to DRIFTING well, but a car that has superb handling as it's primer characteristic. Toyota will not build a car that will throw it's tail out at the slightest twitch. The car will not automatically make any driver look like a drift king, ergo it was built to handle, not to slide (and because it will be build to handle, it will be slid very well by someone who knows what they are doing).

Silly comments like this irk me. Drifters don't usually buy new cars to use, and it is a very small market. This car has a purpose far beyond sliding.

Now onto my main point. Chances are, if you are interested in this car to "slide" you probably aren't driving a subaru in the first place. Likely you are interested in the Subaru version. SO what the hell does it matter what Subaru does??!?! It doesn't really affect us.
In fact, I think awd would be a good idea for a differentiator between the toyo and scoobie version, and give the subaru it's own character while still providing a lot of the essence of the design.

**steps off soap box**

[/rant]
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #36
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
i actually quite enjoy sliding my friend's '07 2.5i around... in the snow.

that legacy looks pretty sweet. one problem i can foresee with that layout, though, is serviceability. with the front drivetrain sitting on top of/in front of the engine, certain maintenance operations would be more time-intensive. still cool though, thanks for showing that to me!

-Mike
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #37
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,182 Times in 965 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This one looks pretty cool.

vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #38
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post

What is wrong with the grill? result of bounced chemical reaction?
IMHO everything is nice beside the grill, but I dun think this one is too identical to Toyota one. It needs not just re work on the front. Oh forgot one thing... I like that modernized wheels.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:56 AM   #39
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
Oh well. Doesn't bother me.
^
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #40
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post

Front was just chopped in Leggy & STI stuff.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #41
DrunkenMime

Drives: IS300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Don't get carried away. They are designing the car to have impeccable balance, response, communication, feel and control. This lends to a car that will not only lend itself to DRIFTING well, but a car that has superb handling as it's primer characteristic. Toyota will not build a car that will throw it's tail out at the slightest twitch. The car will not automatically make any driver look like a drift king, ergo it was built to handle, not to slide (and because it will be build to handle, it will be slid very well by someone who knows what they are doing).

Silly comments like this irk me. Drifters don't usually buy new cars to use, and it is a very small market. This car has a purpose far beyond sliding.

Now onto my main point. Chances are, if you are interested in this car to "slide" you probably aren't driving a subaru in the first place. Likely you are interested in the Subaru version. SO what the hell does it matter what Subaru does??!?! It doesn't really affect us.
In fact, I think awd would be a good idea for a differentiator between the toyo and scoobie version, and give the subaru it's own character while still providing a lot of the essence of the design.

**steps off soap box**

[/rant]
Ok but Toyota has been promoting this car as a drifter BIG time has it not? I mean they're constantly showing this car with the AE86 which is known as a car that handles well but is primarily known as a car used for drifting.

You are correct saying if you're into drifting, you're not going to be interested in this car but in a Subaru instead. So why in the world would you buy anything other than a WRX or Sti??? You'd stay as far away from the FT as possible if AWD was your thing.

Toyota is going to push the drifting facet of the FT (or whatever it'll be called ultimately) like crazy. SO back to my original point. This chassis is being designed with handling towards sliding. Not as an AWD platform imo. This car will be Toyota's Silvia...

*hands talking stick back to Matador*
DrunkenMime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #42
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMime View Post
Ok but Toyota has been promoting this car as a drifter BIG time has it not? I mean they're constantly showing this car with the AE86 which is known as a car that handles well but is primarily known as a car used for drifting.

You are correct saying if you're into drifting, you're not going to be interested in this car but in a Subaru instead. So why in the world would you buy anything other than a WRX or Sti??? You'd stay as far away from the FT as possible if AWD was your thing.

Toyota is going to push the drifting facet of the FT (or whatever it'll be called ultimately) like crazy. SO back to my original point. This chassis is being designed with handling towards sliding. Not as an AWD platform imo. This car will be Toyota's Silvia...

*hands talking stick back to Matador*
Just one correction, AE86 isn't well known for drifting. That's "wanna be" car maniac think that. True AE86 fan knows that, AE86 isn't just for drifting. AE86 was popular in Group A & Group N racing. Also it was used in rallying and even in JGTC GT300 class (but it was quickly change to MR-2).

If it AE86 is well known for drifting, why all the famous drifters change their AE86 to different drift cars? example:
Imarura Youichi - Personal car: 86 to Silvia S15. In D1: AE86 to FD to Z
Taniguchi Nobuteru - Personal car: 86 to Silvia S15. D1: S15 to Altezza
Orido Manabu - Personal car: 86 to Silvia S14 to Supra. Ikaten: 86 to Silvia S14 D1: Supra to IS to GS to Supra
Ueo Katsuhiro - Personal car: 86 to Silvia S15. In D1: 86 to Z to S15

AE86 was good car to start get into racing world. Light weight, good engine, FR layout and cheaper parts than other FR cars.