follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2012, 12:26 AM   #29
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,194 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I always liked that year 330ci...good looking cars that are fun to sling around.

Have fun with the repair/insurance costs and maintenance though. You'll understand after about a year or so of ownership. Every little thing (even down to the wipers) is overwrought, overpriced, and often overcomplicated.

My best friend (328i), stepmom (X5), and uncle (E46 M3) all owned BMW's and bought them new (they have all now sworn off of them for life because of the repair and maintenance nightmares they experienced).
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #30
Verge

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Ive waited a long time for the car i wont walk away so easily. But not being able to get all the jdm options does bring a damper to my enthusiasm.
Verge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:55 AM   #31
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Drives: 2013 Rocket Bunny FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
Isn't the default option "All"? That's what I keep it on...
idk about you but i have never seen that ha! I have two separate areas for the brz general discussion and the fr-s general discussion.
koyv90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #32
SuqMadiq

Drives: BMW Isetta
Before the price and torque were released I had thought of maybe of getting one. As it stands, $25k for 200hp and 150tq doesn't seem like any kind of deal.

I understand this car is meant to be fun and all, but from what I've seen of the track tests it's not really ground breaking in any segment. Its quite slow accelerating considering basic model cars like a Camry or a Fusion would run with it no problem. Plus, on the skidpad, its not pulling impressive numbers like you would think it would, based upon all the hype over lightweight and low CoG.

Anyways, the only reason I could justify paying $25k+ for it, is if I thought the design was truly unique and out of the ordinary. Though, I can't really say that the appearance is that inspiring or that its cutting edge. Its bit dull, and within 5-10yrs it will surely look dated.
SuqMadiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #33
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If anything I would just stick with what I have now.

I drive an old Toyota and have been willing it to die for years since I sort of made a promise to myself that I wouldn't get a new car until this one bit the bullet. Finally broke the promise to myself around 10 months ago when I started seeing stuff on the FT86.

Moral of the story is I guess that I doubt I'd really consider something else, nothing really fits the bill to me... But if I decided not to get it it would just be so that I could drive this thing into the grave and spend my cash elsewhere.
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #34
brewksy

Drives: 2011 Subaru STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuqMadiq View Post
Before the price and torque were released I had thought of maybe of getting one. As it stands, $25k for 200hp and 150tq doesn't seem like any kind of deal.

I understand this car is meant to be fun and all, but from what I've seen of the track tests it's not really ground breaking in any segment. Its quite slow accelerating considering basic model cars like a Camry or a Fusion would run with it no problem. Plus, on the skidpad, its not pulling impressive numbers like you would think it would, based upon all the hype over lightweight and low CoG.

Anyways, the only reason I could justify paying $25k+ for it, is if I thought the design was truly unique and out of the ordinary. Though, I can't really say that the appearance is that inspiring or that its cutting edge. Its bit dull, and within 5-10yrs it will surely look dated.

The OP was asking if anyone caved in and bought another car and here is "SuqMadiq" again, throwing in a random troll post that doesn't have anything to do with the topic, but everything with re-explaining his hatred for this car.

I figured anyone from Regina would be happy with any vehicle considering you guys only recently discovered the Internet.
brewksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #35
G-Man

Drives: 1980 corvette, 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I have been always wanted something in this "class" for a long time, so I will be getting one. lightweight, RWD. It would be this, an old RX7, S2k or miata. and I have always liked subaru and toyota. so this is a pretty easy decision for me.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #36
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuqMadiq View Post

Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #37
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I test drove a 2013 Mustang GT with Track Pack. I'm looking for a 2013 Boss 302 to test drive, and when I get a chance to drive the BRZ, if it doesn't knock my socks off, I'm ordering a 302.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #38
Duff_man

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I test drove a 2013 Mustang GT with Track Pack. I'm looking for a 2013 Boss 302 to test drive, and when I get a chance to drive the BRZ, if it doesn't knock my socks off, I'm ordering a 302.
Are you comparing a 43k$ car to a 24.5k one or I'm mistaken?
Duff_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #39
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,094 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_man View Post
Nope, you're not mistaken
Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #40
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
No, I want a more practical S2000 and I think the FRS/BRZ is the closest to that.

I want a slick shifter, a high revving NA engine, low seating position while still remaining somewhat lightweight. Also it needs to have a back seat and decent trunk space.

No other (new) car has that right now.

I like the Mustang and WRX and 3 Series, all for different reasons, but I think the FRS/BRZ will be the most fun to drive day to day.

Plus I want a new car, with a warranty and hopefully one I'll own for 6+ years. I think it will be worth it to wait a few more months.
86'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #41
Klinn

Drives: '20 Pure Red BRZ, '20 Torch Red C8
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillano609 View Post
So my original intention was to buy the FR-S, but I figured I'd look at some cars at a local dealership because I thought 25k was a little steep for what you get. I ended up finding a 2004 BMW 330Ci and got it for 10.5K in prestine condition and fully loaded with a 6-speed manual tranny. I couldn't say no, anyone else have similar stories?
Heh, I'm kind of going the opposite way. Currently driving a 2002 330Ci (with M-Tech II package, sorta similar to the ZHP Performance Package that appeared in the States in 2003) and I'm expecting to get an FR-S.

The Bimmer is still fun and I've been luckier than others in terms of avoiding some of the trouble spots but it's still almost 10 years old now and rust is starting to take its toll. Road salt, sigh.

My suggestion -- enjoy the 330 for a couple of years, then buy the new improved, more powerful BRZ STI or supercharged FR-S that might appear by then! Best of both worlds.
Klinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #42
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_man View Post
I can afford both, so yes, I'm comparing them.
This is really rudimentary, but on a (lb-$/hp) basis the BRZ and Boss are very evenly matched. That's all I'm really looking for really. "Sure this is fun, but is it $26k fun?"
My biggest complaint about the mustang is how bulky it feels. The BRZ has plenty of room to wow me, especially since the Boss has a 900lb weight penalty vs the BRZ.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote