follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2015, 03:20 AM   #29
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
As I was waiting at a light yesterday in my FR-S, a 370z was passing by and rev'd a couple of times. Sounded pretty good - reminded me of the VQ35HR in my old 350z (in a good way). Always loved the chewbacca sound of Nissan's VQ engines.

BTW OP, good job not street racing.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
exS4 (11-07-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 02:19 AM   #30
Vision86

Drives: 2015 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Always been a fan of the 370Z but they are pretty expensive down here, think it is about $50,000 retail. The dashboard is also very nicely laid out and everything is very clear and easy to see.

Last edited by Vision86; 12-30-2015 at 02:23 AM. Reason: price
Vision86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:45 AM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
Not gonna lie the newer NISMO 370zs (2015-2016) are sexy ass fuck lol. Love the new look.

Attachment 124442
Have you actually seen one up close and personal?
We recently had to return my father in laws Lexus and while my wife was doing the paperwork I strolled around in the lot looking at cars. They had a half dozen Nismos there so I took a closer look. As much as I wanted to love it (id did in pictures) there was just something about it that turned me right off. It just doesn't flow right to me and some of the stuff was just horrible in real life. Those door handles for example just seem to jump out and bite you in the face. The aero also looked tacked on like an after thought and although I have no doubt it actually works it just looked ricey. Didn't help that they were all eithr white or black and these are two colours I just do not like on any car.
The cockpit felt awkward and I did not like the seating position at all but in fairness I only spent a couple of seconds adjusting.
The whole car just does not come together in an appealing package (for my tastes) which was disappointing since it was on my short list for my next car.
On a related note my car was attracting far to much attention in the busy lot and one of the sales guys asked if I could move around the side of the building because they needed my spot for a "demo". This was after they determined I was not buying of course.
new2subaru (12-30-2015), Ultramaroon (01-03-2016)
Old 12-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #32
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
We recently had to return my father in laws Lexus and while my wife was doing the paperwork I strolled around in the lot looking at cars. They had a half dozen Nismos there so I took a closer look. As much as I wanted to love it (id did in pictures) there was just something about it that turned me right off. It just doesn't flow right to me and some of the stuff was just horrible in real life. Those door handles for example just seem to jump out and bite you in the face. The aero also looked tacked on like an after thought and although I have no doubt it actually works it just looked ricey. Didn't help that they were all eithr white or black and these are two colours I just do not like on any car.
The cockpit felt awkward and I did not like the seating position at all but in fairness I only spent a couple of seconds adjusting.
The whole car just does not come together in an appealing package (for my tastes) which was disappointing since it was on my short list for my next car.
On a related note my car was attracting far to much attention in the busy lot and one of the sales guys asked if I could move around the side of the building because they needed my spot for a "demo". This was after they determined I was not buying of course.
I got the same impression of a Camaro when getting into it. OMG it was tiny in there. I don't get this feeling in my FRS. It's fairly large in there and airy enough, but that camaro was pretty tiny.
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #33
brzsubarusti13

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
i feel you were a bit too harsh on the car. the door handles are pretty iconic to the Z's by now. you either like them or you dont but its a Z thing. Coming from a hot lava i think you might be hard to please color wise haha. The body kit is so much better in the 15-16s compared to the older nismos. as for seating i can see where you are coming from because of the recaro seats but most people say the recaro seats gave them an impression of a space improvement. overall i think this model nismo is the pinnacle of the 370z and ive been thinking about getting one for awhile now. I had a 350z and always hated the 370z look especially the old 370z nismo but i feel nissan finally did something right. What i do think is wrong about the latest nismo is that price tag. 50k msrp is insane. just overpriced.
brzsubarusti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #34
super-86

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
370z Nismo looks too busy and I'm not a fan of the red stripes and the big opening in the front that every manufacturer is going after. My good friend has a base 370z. In pictures it didn't look good but when he brought his over, I thought it was gorgeous. I almost bought a 350z before I bought my car but I wanted a newer car so I opt for a brand new FRS.
super-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to super-86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-02-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 11:36 PM   #35
totopo

Drives: 370z
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
As I was waiting at a light yesterday in my FR-S, a 370z was passing by and rev'd a couple of times. Sounded pretty good - reminded me of the VQ35HR in my old 350z (in a good way). Always loved the chewbacca sound of Nissan's VQ engines.

BTW OP, good job not street racing.
hmmm, I guess I don't really know what the 370z sounds like from the outside...

From the inside at least I feel like it sounds terrible and raspy compared to the non-vhr vq's. If you go to the forums you'll see a lot of people complain about the sad sound. Maybe it was modded, or maybe the engine sounds better from the outside... maybe I should try to see, haha.
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:12 AM   #36
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by totopo View Post
hmmm, I guess I don't really know what the 370z sounds like from the outside...

From the inside at least I feel like it sounds terrible and raspy compared to the non-vhr vq's. If you go to the forums you'll see a lot of people complain about the sad sound. Maybe it was modded, or maybe the engine sounds better from the outside... maybe I should try to see, haha.
The 370z sounds terrible from the inside (very thrashy), but sounds surprisingly good on the outside. It's different in that way from the old 350z which managed to sound good both inside and out.

Once you put an exhaust on the 370z it sounds pretty good on the inside too, but the one that drove by was stock exhaust. We were under a bridge so that probably helped too.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:00 AM   #37
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrodriguez View Post
i feel you were a bit too harsh on the car. the door handles are pretty iconic to the Z's by now. you either like them or you dont but its a Z thing. Coming from a hot lava i think you might be hard to please color wise haha. The body kit is so much better in the 15-16s compared to the older nismos. as for seating i can see where you are coming from because of the recaro seats but most people say the recaro seats gave them an impression of a space improvement. overall i think this model nismo is the pinnacle of the 370z and ive been thinking about getting one for awhile now. I had a 350z and always hated the 370z look especially the old 370z nismo but i feel nissan finally did something right. What i do think is wrong about the latest nismo is that price tag. 50k msrp is insane. just overpriced.
The judgement of appearances is very subjective and I was simply expressing my thoughts on the styling. Did not expect everybody to agree nor was I saying that they should. The base looks far better than the Nismo in my eyes. To me the new Nismo is like a very pretty girl dressed and made up like a cheap hooker.
As far as price goes if they made it with less expensive materials to keep costs down then it would be an 86 competitor and most would complain about how cheaply made it was.
Like I said I really wanted to like it but it just didn't do it for me in real life.
Cole (01-03-2016), Ultramaroon (01-03-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #38
cwpbrz-ji

Drives: BRZ & Forester
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
LOL Old man..... I think if someone is old.... who was it? Hum? they like 70?

Old man look at my life,
I'm a lot like you were.
Old man look at my life,
I'm a lot like you were.

Old man look at my life,
Twenty four
and there's so much more
Live alone in a paradise
That makes me think of two...

From someone over 70... who is also considering a wide body kit
cwpbrz-ji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cwpbrz-ji For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-03-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #39
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
You... don't like the color white on sports cars? It's iconic!
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #40
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
You... don't like the color white on sports cars? It's iconic!
I don't like white on any car. My preference obviously leans more to the flash though. Green is even more iconic for sports cars but you never see it anymore.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #41
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpbrz-ji View Post

From someone over 70... who is also considering a wide body kit
pics! pics!

Ultramaroon (01-03-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #42
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't like white on any car. My preference obviously leans more to the flash though. Green is even more iconic for sports cars but you never see it anymore.
I personally don't like white cars either...it always makes me think its a rental car fleet.

No offense to people with white cars. Have seen a lot of pics on here with good looking white cars...just not my thing.
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atropine For This Useful Post:
Teseo (01-03-2016)