follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2023, 03:39 AM   #43
showrun

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoracer86 View Post
Zero need for that. The 4S and even the more basic 4 is a fine tire for track days.
You're opposing my recommendation for the SX2 and then suggesting Michelin tires that cost twice as much because they're "fine"? That makes no sense.

The SX2 is "fine". For half the price.
showrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 12:42 PM   #44
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by showrun View Post
You're opposing my recommendation for the SX2 and then suggesting Michelin tires that cost twice as much because they're "fine"? That makes no sense.

The SX2 is "fine". For half the price.
He already has them and maybe I’m wrong but he didn’t want to change them.
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 04:33 PM   #45
ruturaj001

Drives: BRZ 2023
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Money is not an object, convenience is. I want something that works in rain with standing water on track and I don't want to switch for track days. That's why thinking about 4S.
ruturaj001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruturaj001 For This Useful Post:
autoracer86 (11-01-2023), strat61caster (11-01-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 05:39 PM   #46
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruturaj001 View Post
Money is not an object, convenience is. I want something that works in rain with standing water on track and I don't want to switch for track days. That's why thinking about 4S.
You kinda have something that sucks at everything. It's like having one pair of shoes for running, work and weddings.

The 4S will get greasy very quickly in the dry and it's not a wet tire, though it's passable. Just get another set of wheels. Swapping wheels is 20 minutes. You'll need to rotate tires anyway.
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrandSport For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (11-09-2023), Ohio Enthusiast (11-03-2023), ruturaj001 (11-05-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 11:38 PM   #47
gnarjunkie

Drives: '23 GR86, '17 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
2 more updates since last 2 posts

Had a track day with Porsche car club, great guys, got 7 20 minutes sessions with an awesome instructor. I had to turn off track mode after few because I got greedy in a corner and car did a small slide which I was able to catch. After that instructor said to continue with all nannies on. Wasn't that bad without track mode as I had thought.
What a weird group.

Everywhere I've run with or instructed with... if you have a small slide and catch it the correct response is "hell yeah nice work". Not "turn on the nannies".

Maybe if you were repeatedly spinning and getting black flagged that would make sense. But that's odd. Is it a track with zero runoff or something?
gnarjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gnarjunkie For This Useful Post:
GrandSport (11-07-2023), NoHaveMSG (11-09-2023), Ohio Enthusiast (11-04-2023), ruturaj001 (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 03:05 PM   #48
ruturaj001

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSport View Post
You kinda have something that sucks at everything. It's like having one pair of shoes for running, work and weddings.

The 4S will get greasy very quickly in the dry and it's not a wet tire, though it's passable. Just get another set of wheels. Swapping wheels is 20 minutes. You'll need to rotate tires anyway.
I kind of did. I wore my running shoes to office and my own wedding, I had a knee injury so comfort was top priority, at the time I couldn't run, so didn't actually use it for running.

I understand tires make compromise somewhere and given my skills they might be enough. For now 4 get greasy on hot days and in 4th session onwards for me. 4S might be it and last me enough in next season, if I think I need dedicated track tires then I would look. Most Porsche guys were using 4S at track day, so I thought might be good enough for me, still evaluating.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:06 PM   #49
ruturaj001

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarjunkie View Post
What a weird group.

Everywhere I've run with or instructed with... if you have a small slide and catch it the correct response is "hell yeah nice work". Not "turn on the nannies".

Maybe if you were repeatedly spinning and getting black flagged that would make sense. But that's odd. Is it a track with zero runoff or something?
May be I am not there yet, no idea. On car control clinic I was open to doing anything, may be next season as I get better.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:55 PM   #50
autoracer86

Quote:

I am pad swapping and still using the pilot sport 4 lol. I am just not chasing lap times so it really doesn't matter. Having said that my next upgrade will be new wheels and sticky tires lol.

But the point still stands the 4 and 4s are fine for track usage and if the OP is good with fine who cares
Old 11-07-2023, 08:09 PM   #51
GrandSport

Quote:
I kind of did. I wore my running shoes to office and my own wedding, I had a knee injury so comfort was top priority, at the time I couldn't run, so didn't actually use it for running.

I understand tires make compromise somewhere and given my skills they might be enough. For now 4 get greasy on hot days and in 4th session onwards for me. 4S might be it and last me enough in next season, if I think I need dedicated track tires then I would look. Most Porsche guys were using 4S at track day, so I thought might be good enough for me, still evaluating.
There are two kinds of porsche drivers. Really fucking fast ones that race, and really fucking slow ones. There isn't much in between for some reason. Probably because people that can afford to track +$200k cars that are serious about it can afford to race.

I have a video somewhere of a 992 GT3 fucking up my BRZ pb and hours of video of me making GT4s look stupid in the "advanced" group or whatever they call the 2nd to top group (there were 1/3 the number of cars so I went there instead of the top group).
The Following User Says Thank You to GrandSport For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 09:07 PM   #52
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
There are two kinds of porsche drivers. Really fucking fast ones that race, and really fucking slow ones.
This applies to most HPDE drivers. The middle group are the folks trying to improve, so they briefly pass through being not too slow and not too fast. The other two groups stay too slow or very fast.

And yes, for the slow group street tires are just fine. If you intend to get faster and push the car more and more, you'd need to have your car set up for that or you'd quickly run into limitations (tires get greasy, brakes fade, engine overheats) that would force you to slow down. I prefer to go balls out for a full session without worrying about managing brakes and tires, so even though I don't care about lap times I invested in track pads and tires (ECF). Luckily the endurance racing space is very similar to HPDE in terms of requirements, so going with endurance tires is an easy choice.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 11:27 AM   #53
GrandSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
This applies to most HPDE drivers. The middle group are the folks trying to improve, so they briefly pass through being not too slow and not too fast. The other two groups stay too slow or very fast.
Porsche seems to have the biggest dichotomy. They're either running in parallel with the Corvette dads or looking for their third spec boxter championship, lol.

Quote:
And yes, for the slow group street tires are just fine. If you intend to get faster and push the car more and more, you'd need to have your car set up for that or you'd quickly run into limitations (tires get greasy, brakes fade, engine overheats) that would force you to slow down. I prefer to go balls out for a full session without worrying about managing brakes and tires, so even though I don't care about lap times I invested in track pads and tires (ECF). Luckily the endurance racing space is very similar to HPDE in terms of requirements, so going with endurance tires is an easy choice.

Brakes are a safety item. I dont understand why anyone runs compromise pads. Just swap the damn pads before and after an event.

It also depends on your weather. If it is cool out, you'll do a lot better than if its hot out. Heck, better tires may require more management as we get into winter. I found myself in the sand pit last weekend after the 2500ft straight because I forgot that tires cool off a lot in the straights- and a miata spends a lot of time in the straights. Went from pretty hot to pretty cold and went right off the track in miata.

In case you're wondering, it's exceptionally embarrassing to go into a turn so fast you go STRAIGHT off in a Miata. The track owner was texting me the next day about it

Last edited by GrandSport; 11-08-2023 at 02:04 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrandSport For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (11-08-2023), NoHaveMSG (11-09-2023)
Old 04-07-2024, 06:03 PM   #54
ruturaj001

Not much to update but still going to. Did one more track day, this time with ACNW (Audi club), they had 4 run groups so got less track time. Started going to ridge Motorsports and probably going to stick to that track this year. I don't want to go to Pacific, doesn't seems like worth the higher risk. I might check out Portland track as well.

This year's plan is to do 5-8 track days, 2-3 car control clinic with PCA. Last year car control with PCA was very fun, learned a lot like autocross and got significant seat time. I have also bought sim racing setup to practice ridge track.

Tires are still stock but I am going to get SX2 this year. Brake pads are still DS2500 with significant life left, I would probably switch to CSG CP after they wear out. If run out of limit on those I am going to get BRZ tS for bbk.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:01 AM   #55
autoracer86

Quote:
Tires are still stock but I am going to get SX2 this year. Brake pads are still DS2500 with significant life left, I would probably switch to CSG CP after they wear out. If run out of limit on those I am going to get BRZ tS for bbk.
Wouldn't the C1 or C21 be more of an upgrade over the DS2500 then the CP ?

The CP seems to be listed as a high performance street pad like the DS2500.
The Following User Says Thank You to autoracer86 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 08:36 PM   #56
ruturaj001

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoracer86 View Post
Wouldn't the C1 or C21 be more of an upgrade over the DS2500 then the CP ?

The CP seems to be listed as a high performance street pad like the DS2500.
I went by temperature range when calling it an upgrade DS2500 has 0-500°C and CP have 50-700°C. And I would have some comparison points as CP cost about double and there are no comparison anywhere.