follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #659
alxtheoreo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulekr1 View Post
So to pass inspection i'll have to put back on my OEM header?
If they do a visual & are aware our car has TWO cats you may fail. Yet, I believe most places are not aware we have TWO cats.

So, don't take it to the dealership. Find some other place.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #660
mulekr1

Drives: 15' Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtheoreo View Post
If they do a visual & are aware our car has TWO cats you may fail. Yet, I believe most places are not aware we have TWO cats.

So, don't take it to the dealership. Find some other place.

Nah the guy is my friend (local mom and pop) but in NY you can't scam the system because its OBD2 and if it says not ready you can't pass. He doesn't personally care, I would just use someone elses car for a sticker but NY checks inspection to renew the registration.
mulekr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mulekr1 For This Useful Post:
alxtheoreo (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #661
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
New to me 2014 BRZ, was absolutely stock when I bought it as far as I know. No bolts had been touched anywhere from OEM.

I loaded Openflash manager on my PC, plugged the OFT, it did a firmware update(I think that's what it did). Took 4-5 minutes with my slow internet.

After this, I went and plugged the OFT in my 2014 BRZ, went through the menus, pressed read and once it was done, I got the "Mod file not found" error. Read/Write buttons are now greyed out.

My stock rom is the B00C.

Could there have been a tune in there already? Or since I had done an update on the OFT it erased all the preloaded maps that would have been on there? If that's the case, i'll just load up the B00C stage 1 91 map, OTS Stage 2 UEL 91 map and the Stage 2OFH 91 map. I'll be installing my OFH3 later this week.

I also sent an email to OFT with the .ori file it spat out also.
Yep just download the tunes from oft site and use the B00C version, the error you got jist means the onboard database doesnt have B00C tunes or you have a non standard booc rom in car.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Skyllz (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 05:23 PM   #662
steve99
Banned

Quote:
So to pass inspection i'll have to put back on my OEM header?
Quote:
Nah the guy is my friend (local mom and pop) but in NY you can't scam the system because its OBD2 and if it says not ready you can't pass. He doesn't personally care, I would just use someone elses car for a sticker but NY checks inspection to renew the registration.

Mate im not accross all the different inspections in usa. But yes if they want ALl readyness checks to pass that wont happen if you have disabled the cel code. I beloeve some places allow one check to say not ready or fail.

so yes theoreticly to pass with all readyness showing pass you going to need to put stock header back and stock tune or at least a tune with P0420 not disabled, then drive it till readyness checks complete.

If you can get away with jist one cat on visual, you might be able to reenable the P0420 code in your catless header tune then install an 02 spacer in REAR O2 sensor bung then drive till readyness goes good, and hopefully cel wont trip, spacers can be a bit hit and miss with cel code, if no cel you likely get readness to pass and hence be able to pass inspection.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #663
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Which is the best way?
Flash stock tune the moment before got inspected?
Unfortunatly the readyness checks dont all go pass on reflash of ecu or reset they all go fail, then over time as ecu gathers data they will to set to pass , assuming ecu get correct readings. so resetting ecu or reflashing wont get you a pass on readyness, will just reset cel codes.

You might be able to enable P0420 in your catless header tune and add 02spacer to rear 02 sensor, if your lucky you wont get cel and readyness will pass after 50 miles or so.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
everythingsablur (08-22-2016), Teseo (08-20-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #664
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
@steve99 Quick question! I am currently running the stage 2 EL tune and have been thinking about adding a Wideband O2 sensor to run an AFR gauge. Does the Stage 2 EL tune make use of the rearmost O2 sensor? Can I simply remove it from the header, unplug it from the harness, and pop the aftermarket wideband sensor in without fear of a code or issue from the Stage 2 tune?

Thanks!
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #665
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Unfortunatly the readyness checks dont all go pass on reflash of ecu or reset they all go fail, then over time as ecu gathers data they will to set to pass , assuming ecu get correct readings. so resetting ecu or reflashing wont get you a pass on readyness, will just reset cel codes.

You might be able to enable P0420 in your catless header tune and add 02spacer to rear 02 sensor, if your lucky you wont get cel and readyness will pass after 50 miles or so.
People have been reporting their OFT stage 2 tunes (with P0420 disabled) can get all readiness checks to pass. It shouldn't be necessary to reenable that code and add a defouler; if people can't get all their readiness checks passing after a sufficient number of drive cycles then they may have other issues. I'm not aware of the specifics but there is more than one reason why a readiness check can fail.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
alxtheoreo (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #666
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
@steve99 Quick question! I am currently running the stage 2 EL tune and have been thinking about adding a Wideband O2 sensor to run an AFR gauge. Does the Stage 2 EL tune make use of the rearmost O2 sensor? Can I simply remove it from the header, unplug it from the harness, and pop the aftermarket wideband sensor in without fear of a code or issue from the Stage 2 tune?

Thanks!
if you just want to read afr, you can use the oft it will display afr in large display and you can even set alarms based on afr load and rpm to alert you.

you can also rescale the stock front o2 sensor to read quite well down to 10 afr.

if you remove the stock rear o2 sensor your goung to also need to disable the rear 02 sensor trims AF#3 and disable some more cel codes for rear 02 heater and some other i carnt remember.
Teseo (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #667
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
People have been reporting their OFT stage 2 tunes (with P0420 disabled) can get all readiness checks to pass. It shouldn't be necessary to reenable that code and add a defouler; if people can't get all their readiness checks passing after a sufficient number of drive cycles then they may have other issues. I'm not aware of the specifics but there is more than one reason why a readiness check can fail.

its possible if the ecu sees data from the two 02 sensors that is close enough to the stock readings it expects.

its more dependant on the header than the tune, it depends on the placement of the 02 sensors, some headers the rear o2 is placed in a bung that has a built in spacer almost similar to the openflah header,

generally if the data is out enough to throw a P0420 cel then it wont pass readyness, so regardless of wether you have disabled cel you wont pass readyness as the data is outside what the ecu expects.

yes they check several other systems as well

Old 08-23-2016, 09:16 AM   #668
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
if you just want to read afr, you can use the oft it will display afr in large display and you can even set alarms based on afr load and rpm to alert you.

you can also rescale the stock front o2 sensor to read quite well down to 10 afr.

if you remove the stock rear o2 sensor your goung to also need to disable the rear 02 sensor trims AF#3 and disable some more cel codes for rear 02 heater and some other i carnt remember.
I'm actually not using an OFT, I have the map flashed on via a tactrix cable. I wasn't sure if the rear OFT was used, (I come from GD subaru land where that O2 sensor functionality gets deleted pretty quick,) so I wanted to check if I could remove that sensor easily, or if it would cause other problems.

I'm a firm believer in using an aftermarket wideband, can that feed inputs into the ECU and help, as well as power a gauge or is that more trouble than it's worth, and easier to just weld a bung into the header?

Thanks!
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #669
86socal

Drives: White frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My oft is not connecting to the open flash manager, what should i do?
86socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #670
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
I'm actually not using an OFT, I have the map flashed on via a tactrix cable. I wasn't sure if the rear OFT was used, (I come from GD subaru land where that O2 sensor functionality gets deleted pretty quick,) so I wanted to check if I could remove that sensor easily, or if it would cause other problems.

I'm a firm believer in using an aftermarket wideband, can that feed inputs into the ECU and help, as well as power a gauge or is that more trouble than it's worth, and easier to just weld a bung into the header?

Thanks!
by recalibrating the stock , front sensor that more wideband signal is then already sent to ecu.

in order to send additional inputs to ecu your going to need to write actual ecu program code or buy ecutek system.

yes it will be far easier to just weld in extra bung and not have to fiddle with didabling rear sensor.
JazzleSAURUS (08-24-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #671
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Flashed the car with oft with stage 2 uel 91 oct but oft did not came with 93 uel tune, need to download via open flash manager?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #672
alxtheoreo

Drives: FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Flashed the car with oft with stage 2 uel 91 oct but oft did not came with 93 uel tune, need to download via open flash manager?
Yes. Download OFM, download the updated maps from the website, install OFM and connect the tablet. The tablet will update it's firmware. Once that is done, you may upload the correct tune(s) onto the tablet.

Teseo (08-23-2016)