follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #71
mtsui

Drives: 135i
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisked Accolade View Post
No one has tried EBC 'Yellow Stuff' track pads?
I have them on my 240sx...they are cheap and ok good!
the yellow is strong enough for track...atleast for 240sx power.
mtsui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #72
mtsui

also, anyone has use the project mu club racer???
I'm thinking if I just go for the club racer or back to EBC yellow stuff
thanks
Nick
Old 03-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #73
grodenglaive

Drives: asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I had the yellows on my MINI CooperS (similar weight and power of FR-S) and liked them a lot. I bought them as a track only pad, but left them on for a month because they made no noise on the street and had great bite even when cold.
For me there was no fade on the track and were only slightly worn (1 mm) after 2 track days.
On the other hand my friend with a wrx went through a set of yellows in a day - too much heat. But the wrx is a lot heavier.
The EBC Greenstuff as mentioned before are useless for lapping. Mine crumbled from the heat after 1/2 a day (even on the rear). Don't even drive past a race track with greenstuff on.
grodenglaive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grodenglaive For This Useful Post:
Asterisked Accolade (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #74
mtsui

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodenglaive View Post
I had the yellows on my MINI CooperS (similar weight and power of FR-S) and liked them a lot. I bought them as a track only pad, but left them on for a month because they made no noise on the street and had great bite even when cold.
For me there was no fade on the track and were only slightly worn (1 mm) after 2 track days.
On the other hand my friend with a wrx went through a set of yellows in a day - too much heat. But the wrx is a lot heavier.
The EBC Greenstuff as mentioned before are useless for lapping. Mine crumbled from the heat after 1/2 a day (even on the rear). Don't even drive past a race track with greenstuff on.
greenstuff is suppose to be like street pad...that's why...
I guess FRS is light weight also under power, that made yellow stuff is good?
IMO...for those who doesn't want to switch between track and stree pad, yellowstuff is a good choice because I was using yellowstuff on my 240sx for street and track use with no problem at all!
they are strong enough to lock my front brake during the track day( non-abs) with 255 star spec tires...
Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #75
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Project Mu club racer
Caliper (F/R): stock
Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): stock
Compound (F/R): club racer
Tires: stock primacy HP

Excellent bite cold or hot. Minimal noise when cold. Zero fade after 25 minute sessions at Laguna Seca. Pads were smoking at the end of a session, but never overheated/faded. Very happy with wear so far. In my last car LS would eat away1/2 of my raybestos ST43 pads in a single track day. There was minimal wear, maybe 3mm on the club racer pads after a full day.
heeltoe86 (03-13-2013), JDKane527 (07-26-2013), mtsui (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #76
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodenglaive View Post
Thank you, that was helpful.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #77
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Brake Pad Manufacturer: Carbotech
Compound (F/R): XP12/Stock
Tires: 245/40/17 Dunlop Z2
Caliper (F/R): stock, stock

This was tested at Auto Club Speedway, which is THE hardest track on brakes locally available to me. Braking zones are 130-35, 90-35,100-35, and 105-35 per lap. The track literally rapes brakes. The pads remained fade free through 4-5 laps! I didn't want to drive too much or too hard, as the car was kindly loaned to me by Jeff @03Z33.

Dusting: 4
Cold bite: 4
Hot bite: 6.6
Modulation: 6

Brake Pad Manufacturer: Ferodo
Compound (F/R): DS2500/DS2500
Tires: 245/40/17 Hankook Ventus RS3
Caliper (F/R): AP Racing "Sprint", Stock

Pads started to fade after a few hot laps with a passenger. Understandable, as this is an "aggressive street pad". Modulation was extremely easy, but once the pad faded, there was just no bite. Car was kindly loaned to me by Derek @D1cker for driving at the first FT86Cup, as the CSG BRZ was down.

Dusting: 2
Cold bite: 4
Hot bite: 4
Modulation: 8
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
03Z33 (03-12-2013), heeltoe86 (03-13-2013), Huehuecoyotl (03-20-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #78
tintumz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Toyota 86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
UPDATE!!!
Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): WORKS
Caliper (F/R): OEM/OEM
Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): OEM
Compound (F/R): WORKS Blue Pads
Tires: OEM

As advertised in there website it is street/track able pads. I got the chance to ran these brake pads in an event at Sonoma Raceway, here in California. It's an HPDE and it was cold in the morning but got hot during the afternoon runs so I got to see the difference running them between cold and hot weather. First on the track, in the first run of the morning, I did not really make hard stop braking because of it's the first laps but going at about 70-80 mph and braking to enter a corner it has that bite in a push on the pedal even after 4-5 laps the feel was still the same. As I progressed through the day of the event and the weather got warmer, I pushed the car a bit more aggressive and did some aggressive stopping 95-60, 95-40, 90-30 for a whole 20mins session, but still the brake did not give any sign of fading considering that I have stock tires, no feel of it lacking in stopping power. Street use, having cold weather for the last couple of days. The brakes impressed me because of its "no noise". I actually expect that a performance brake pads being used in Evos, it will be noisy in streets and on the track but it lived up to the claim that it's a street able brake pads. Even in my runs in the track I can't hear any squealing noise in hard stops. no sign of rotor problems.

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 5
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 6
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 7.5
Modulation (1=low-10=high): TBD
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 8
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): (estimate/actual) TBD
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? N
Brake ducts: (Y/N) N

Last edited by tintumz22; 03-20-2013 at 10:08 PM.
tintumz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #79
Feffman
Banned

Drives: None
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've used Carbotech (www.CTBrakes.com) on a wide variety of track cars for several years now. Not only do they work very well, but they are easy on rotors as well.

Contact Danny Puskar at Carbotech for detailed assistance.

Feff
Feffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #80
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feffman View Post
I've used Carbotech (www.CTBrakes.com) on a wide variety of track cars for several years now. Not only do they work very well, but they are easy on rotors as well.

Contact Danny Puskar at Carbotech for detailed assistance.

Feff
We carry the full line of Carbotech products for the FR-S/BRZ, as well as the Essex AP Racing "Sprint" kit.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #81
bpracer

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I needed some better pads at short notice for a track event where I was instructing. I got same-day delivery of some "redstuff" pads from Pep Boys(!). Not a track pad, but with some Motul 600 fluid I was hoping they would be OK. I didn't want true track pads as I'm not planning on tracking the car that hard.

Other than the bed-in coating caused shudder that freaked my out the first few miles, they seemed to hold up pretty good once at the track. I only drove about 80% level as this really is my daily driver: 18x8" with Michelin 225/40 Pilot Sports, Swift BRZ springs.

Definitely more torque than the stockers, previously the rear brakes tried to engage the ABS first, now the fronts seem to engage first. Though I will say they don't seem to bite quit as hard on the drive home from the track today.

No fade, rotors look like the got a work-out but still look fine. The rear rotors have some initial traces of abuse probably due to not being able to kill the traction control all the way.

So, that being said, any suggestions for rear pads? Maybe I should throw on their street only pad, greenstuff. I want a less aggressive pad then the front.

ps, the car is a LOT of fun at the track and it took some willpower not to push it harder. At least one of my students "got it" after I took him for a ride.
Ducati 848
bpracer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bpracer For This Useful Post:
Asterisked Accolade (04-07-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #82
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
@CSG Mike has been nagging me to post a mini review, lol.

Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Carbotech
Caliper (F/R): OEM/OEM
Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): OEM/OEM
Compound (F/R): XP10/XP10
Tires: 215/45/17 Dunlop Z2

Feedback: Attended my first ever track event and the brake pads didn't fail me once. The track was relatively short and low speed. Ran 5 sessions, 20 minutes per session. There was no fade during my sessions, and I was confident that I could keep going. Pretty sure if I kept going, my tires would have toasted before the pads would. Being that this was my first track event, I didn't want to burn up $700 in tires in one event. :p

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 2
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 7
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 9
Modulation (1=low-10=high): 8
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 5
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): N/A
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? (Y/N) Unknown
Brake ducts: (Y/N) No
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #83
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpracer View Post
I want a less aggressive pad then the front.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #84
bpracer

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
That's not really helping me out. I was asking for suggestions, if you have ideas, lets hear them. Just to be clear, the rear pads were stock.
Ducati 848
bpracer is offline   Reply With Quote