follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #1009
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDanger_208x View Post
0 toe front and rear.
2 degrees rear camber.
3.3 degrees front camber.
Rake was almost .5" higher in the rear but I've since fixed that.
.5 higher in the rear... * since fixed that??? What did you 'fix' it to?? .5 is about where mine is. and I am also running some toe in in the rear at about an 1/8th on each side.. I think if you added some toe in, in the rear.. it would get rid of some of your looseness.

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #1010
xDanger_208x

Drives:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby South View Post
.5 higher in the rear... * since fixed that??? What did you 'fix' it to?? .5 is about where mine is. and I am also running some toe in in the rear at about an 1/8th on each side.. I think if you added some toe in, in the rear.. it would get rid of some of your looseness.

Bill
I dropped it down level with the front.
I might try some toe in. We're headed to pro-solo in a few days so if rather not be experimenting there haha
Old 07-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #1011
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,273 Times in 2,967 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
A little toe in for the rear goes a long way.

A little front compression damping could help as well.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #1012
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Does the Perrin Transmission Mount Support fall under the allowance jurisdiction for bushings or for mounts? I am trying to determine whether or not to even consider this mod.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/perr...mount-484.html

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #1013
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
Does the Perrin Transmission Mount Support fall under the allowance jurisdiction for bushings or for mounts? I am trying to determine whether or not to even consider this mod.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/perr...mount-484.html
It looks like the Perrin trans mount is legal... most of us are using the Kartboy or Whiteline insert to achieve less movement

Quote:
PERRIN tranny mount support pieces are made from CNC'ed 6061-T6 aluminum which means nothing will wear out and no urethane which will eventually squeak.
The Rule states.
Quote:
J. Any engine or transmission mount is allowed provided it attaches only to the original mounting points, does not relocate the engine/transmission (other than incidental to changes in compliance material),and weighs no less than the OE mount. All components between the engine/transmission and the mounting structure are considered to be part of the mount assembly.
Bill
Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #1014
bimmer635csi

Drives: 2013 Cayenne turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby South View Post
most of us are using the Kartboy or Whiteline insert to achieve less movement
Ok, I'm dumb. How do the K or W versions limit movement more than the P version?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #1015
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer635csi View Post
Ok, I'm dumb. How do the K or W versions limit movement more than the P version?
I think they are pretty much all in the same ballpark for movement. the goal is to limit how much the Trans mount oscillates during shifting..etc.. That is what all of them do . With the Perrin one being metal, and more expensive.. its truly is just a choice at that point. Pricepoint and simplicity is how the K and W ones work.

Bill
Old 07-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #1016
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
So I started the season on Rivals, have about 180 runs on them between me and my codriver. A few weeks ago I got a set of RS3v2's and have put a couple of events on them. Same wheel (RPF-1 17x9), same size (245/40-17). Thought I'd share some observations:
  • The Rival is a lot wider. For a stack of 2 side by side, the Rival stack is taller, by a good bit. I'm not sure if it's 255 wide, but the RS3v2 look obviously narrower in comparison.
  • The Hankook sidewall feels quite soft, can see the sidewall flex just by pushing on it with your hand.
  • So far I like the feel of the Rival a lot better. Far more direct, the car is more responsive, and overall grip feels about the same. I definitely have to lead the car more with Hankooks.
  • Timewise they seem about the same. I haven't done back to back tests (yet), but event results compared to others are about the same.
  • The Rival communicates better - even just in daily driving the Rivals feel weightier and more communicative.
  • The Rivals seemed fine on the first event I had on them. The Hankooks were downright scary on their first event - it would be a good idea to get these well and scrubbed in before the first event. They felt completely different (better) for the 2nd event.
  • The Hankooks are noisier on the highway - have a constant "whir". Rivals are pretty much silent. Car seems to wander with the Hankooks, the car tracks dead straight on Rivals. (Not that this really matters to me)
I know the Rivals didn't work well at Nationals last year, or so I've read. But with what I've experienced so far, for local events and tours, I think I'd go with the Rival. It's lighter, stiffer, more responsive, and communicates better.

I feel like I'm in the minority preferring the Rivals - not sure if it's my setup or driving style but my codriver agrees and we drive very differently. Running KW V3, camber plates, front bar. ~-3.0 deg camber. I will have some more events on the RS3 pretty soon, I'll try more pressure and maybe more camber to see if that improves things a bit.

Anyone else compared these 2?
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wepeel For This Useful Post:
jprice130 (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #1017
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Gosh, if the Rival communicates better than an RS3, Im never leaving Dunlops. The Rival feels like a snow tire compared to the z2. (adapting driving style led to about the same times for me, however I really had to have faith the Rivals would stick.)

Also, Ive heard the RS3 needs a lot more camber, so you may have some time to be squeezed out of the RS3 if you do some car adjustments to suit them.
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #1018
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
I'm looking for tires for next season. Rivals, RS3 v2 and the new star specs are my top choices.

Although I hear some good things about the Yoko's too.
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #1019
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
180 treadware...no care.
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #1020
Wepeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom4 View Post
Gosh, if the Rival communicates better than an RS3, Im never leaving Dunlops. The Rival feels like a snow tire compared to the z2. (adapting driving style led to about the same times for me, however I really had to have faith the Rivals would stick.)

Also, Ive heard the RS3 needs a lot more camber, so you may have some time to be squeezed out of the RS3 if you do some car adjustments to suit them.
Yeah, that's not the first time I've heard that about the Dunlop v Rival. I would think the Dunlop would make the RS3 feel super mush. My codriver described the RS3 as "marshmallowey" compared to the Rival.

I know a lot of the S2k drivers have gone from Dunlop to RS3 but I haven't seen much comparison on the internet.

And both the Rival and RS3 are very forgiving tires. They seem to both be able to operate at high slip angles without completely giving it up.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #1021
jprice130
AutoX Nut

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
So I started the season on Rivals, have about 180 runs on them between me and my codriver. A few weeks ago I got a set of RS3v2's and have put a couple of events on them. Same wheel (RPF-1 17x9), same size (245/40-17). Thought I'd share some observations:
  • The Rival is a lot wider. For a stack of 2 side by side, the Rival stack is taller, by a good bit. I'm not sure if it's 255 wide, but the RS3v2 look obviously narrower in comparison.
  • The Hankook sidewall feels quite soft, can see the sidewall flex just by pushing on it with your hand.
  • So far I like the feel of the Rival a lot better. Far more direct, the car is more responsive, and overall grip feels about the same. I definitely have to lead the car more with Hankooks.
  • Timewise they seem about the same. I haven't done back to back tests (yet), but event results compared to others are about the same.
  • The Rival communicates better - even just in daily driving the Rivals feel weightier and more communicative.
  • The Rivals seemed fine on the first event I had on them. The Hankooks were downright scary on their first event - it would be a good idea to get these well and scrubbed in before the first event. They felt completely different (better) for the 2nd event.
  • The Hankooks are noisier on the highway - have a constant "whir". Rivals are pretty much silent. Car seems to wander with the Hankooks, the car tracks dead straight on Rivals. (Not that this really matters to me)
I know the Rivals didn't work well at Nationals last year, or so I've read. But with what I've experienced so far, for local events and tours, I think I'd go with the Rival. It's lighter, stiffer, more responsive, and communicates better.

I feel like I'm in the minority preferring the Rivals - not sure if it's my setup or driving style but my codriver agrees and we drive very differently. Running KW V3, camber plates, front bar. ~-3.0 deg camber. I will have some more events on the RS3 pretty soon, I'll try more pressure and maybe more camber to see if that improves things a bit.

Anyone else compared these 2?
Thanks for your feedback on this and sorry to hear the RS3s didn't provide much improvement. Maybe a couple more events will help? Also, what type of surfaces and ambient temperatures have you encountered with the RS3s?

I've been running Dunlop ZIIs all season and just picked up a set of V2 RS3s this week (haven't competed with them yet). The ZIIs have been pretty good, but I'm getting tired of spraying them down so much now that summer is in full swing here in NC. Even with spraying them down, I'm still finding that the ZIIs start to give up at the end of my final runs. I'm really hoping the heat tolerance of the RS3s will help me continue to improve throughout all my runs AND I won't have to bother with the water sprayer. Sounds like the biggest adjustment will be driving around the soft sidewalls of the RS3s. The ZIIs are definitely razor sharp in slaloms and initial turn-in.
jprice130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #1022
Wepeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice130 View Post
Thanks for your feedback on this and sorry to hear the RS3s didn't provide much improvement. Maybe a couple more events will help? Also, what type of surfaces and ambient temperatures have you encountered with the RS3s?

I've been running Dunlop ZIIs all season and just picked up a set of V2 RS3s this week (haven't competed with them yet). The ZIIs have been pretty good, but I'm getting tired of spraying them down so much now that summer is in full swing here in NC. Even with spraying them down, I'm still finding that the ZIIs start to give up at the end of my final runs. I'm really hoping the heat tolerance of the RS3s will help me continue to improve throughout all my runs AND I won't have to bother with the water sprayer. Sounds like the biggest adjustment will be driving around the soft sidewalls of the RS3s. The ZIIs are definitely razor sharp in slaloms and initial turn-in.
The past 2-3 weeks in PA/DC, so it's been mid-80's. The RS3's felt like they might have been going off in the later runs when me and my codriver were running, but it was also a course where driving harder made you go slower so it was hard to tell. As a single driver I don't think you'd have to spray at all.

The 2 events I did on the RS3v2 were on slick asphalt (crappy fedex) and decently grippy asphalt (Hershey). Most likely will be running again at Fedex this weekend.

Definitely post up your impressions of the RS3 compared to the Dunlop.