follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #113
Ironsquid
King of Kiwi Palace

Drives: Faster than you
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiro View Post
So basically, it seems like transmission issues on first gear and issues with our master & slave clutch cylinder. I think the slave cylinder is trying to extend further than it should on these aftermarket clutches. At least in my situation it seems that way. Heat might also contribute to the issue in regards to the master and slave cylinder.

Let me know what your thoughts are.
When I get locked out it's in the morning with a cold start. Never been locked out after a heat cycle.

The master/slave should not function any differently cold or hot. It's hydraulically operated steel parts. There's no direct heat other than bell housing conduction to the slave, being that the housing is aluminum it really doesn't transfer much heat.

If anything is going wrong with the master/slave mechanics I would think a bent fork is to blame before anything else. Or a faulty/incorrectly installed TOB.

I've also dealt with DSMs for many many years now, so I wouldn't put aside a notion of worn 1st gear/reverse synchros that have plagued the 4g63.

Another notion, lets say there's tranny fluid starvation, in my case after a warm up, I've never been locked out. It's a stretch. I also know that my tranny was properly filled because I did it myself.

Lastly, incorrect pressure plate installation can also cause issues where it doesn't matter how you setup your clutch pedal it's not going to disengage fully. When you torque down the PP the release fingers are positioned for the TOB to pivot them to disengage the plate. If one side of the PP isn't fully positioned, when the TOB presses on the fingers, you'll have slight engagement resulting in a lock out. Adding heat, the PP fingers may warp slightly if made from materials not meant for track or extended hot cycle usage.

There's actually quite a lot that can go wrong unfortunately...
Old 11-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #114
buddy32

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Bump, any new info on this?

Thanks!
buddy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #115
RallySTI

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The clutch kit that was sent back from QTWRE was installed into the other tech guys car for testing. Steve installed (Former Subaru master Tech) the entire clutch kit, flywheel and bearings that were returned. So far (400 miles) there has been no locking out or shifting issues that he has reported about. The plan is to keep the clutch in the car for at least 5k miles or until there is any problems that may or may not occur.
RallySTI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RallySTI For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (12-12-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #116
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySTI View Post
The clutch kit that was sent back from QTWRE was installed into the other tech guys car for testing. Steve installed (Former Subaru master Tech) the entire clutch kit, flywheel and bearings that were returned. So far (400 miles) there has been no locking out or shifting issues that he has reported about. The plan is to keep the clutch in the car for at least 5k miles or until there is any problems that may or may not occur.
Thanks Evan, Exedy stood up to their products, and sent me replacement warrantied parts for my clutch kit.

the diagnosis I got was that there was no grease on the disk hub.

Speaks volumes for great customer service.

On another note, I've been running ACT clutch now and so far around 1K miles and no issues (all fingers crossed).
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (12-12-2014)
Old 02-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #117
DSDtrilogy

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ (Vortech Supercharged)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I hope you don't mind me necro-bumping this thead, but I just bought a BRZ with an exedy stage 2 clutch and I believe I'm experiencing some drag. (edit, clutch was installed about 8 months ago, invoice doesn't have milage of car on it)

My experience so far:
After driving for a bit, I started regularly getting locked out of first and reverse from a stand still. I could "remedy" it by disengaging the clutch, shifting into third (which felt forced), then first. I took the car to the shop and had them do a transmission flush, since I had read a lot of this fixing misc shifting issues. The car shifted much better, and I didn't feel locked out of anything except occasionally reverse. Once I got home, I started reading the shops inspection notes, which inferred there was clutch drag, nothing was done about it, but something should be

My biggest issue is that since I just bought the car, I have no frame of reference and I'm not sure how notchy the shifter should feel.

I'm going to make an appt. at a local performance shop for this week. Should I be getting the car towed there? or is it safe to drive?

The car's warranty is voided, so the last thing I wanna do is mess up a synchro and need a transmission rebuild.
DSDtrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #118
qtwre

Drives: White FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's safe to drive. Just be gentle with the shifting if it's giving you trouble.

I remain unimpressed with my stg2 ownership experience. It seems like a finnicky product that's given experienced mechanics problems. My resolution so far has been that I'm now using their 3-puck disc that works with the stock pressure plate. Shifts are back to feeling like stock, meaning smooth with no problems as you would expect from a new modern car.

Sportsguy83 also seems to have solved his problem by switching out to a different clutch. I don't know what happened with the rest of the guys in this thread. I thought there were around a dozen of us.
qtwre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #119
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDtrilogy View Post
I'm going to make an appt. at a local performance shop for this week. Should I be getting the car towed there? or is it safe to drive?

The car's warranty is voided, so the last thing I wanna do is mess up a synchro and need a transmission rebuild.
This transmission is notchy specially when cold. Second requires effort to engage first few times. It is safe to drive and you will not break the trans driving to the shop.

Now, there should not be any effort needed to engage first/reverse from a stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtwre View Post
It's safe to drive. Just be gentle with the shifting if it's giving you trouble.

I remain unimpressed with my stg2 ownership experience. It seems like a finnicky product that's given experienced mechanics problems. My resolution so far has been that I'm now using their 3-puck disc that works with the stock pressure plate. Shifts are back to feeling like stock, meaning smooth with no problems as you would expect from a new modern car.

Sportsguy83 also seems to have solved his problem by switching out to a different clutch. I don't know what happened with the rest of the guys in this thread. I thought there were around a dozen of us.

I received as warranty the 3 puck clutch and sold it to a forum member, who I really don't know if he's having issues, but there have been no complains and he had seen this thread before buying so that's encouraging.

I ended up really happy with the customer service, they did stand up behind their product and tried to make the situation right for me.

The locals in this thread (I believe 5 or 6) continued experiencing lockout issues. One of them removed the transmission 2 times, including lats time over lubbing the shaft and disk hub extensively, to the point the clutch slipped for the first hundred miles or so. His lockout issues got noticeably better, but not completely dissapeared.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #120
DSDtrilogy

Thanks guys, this is some great info! I appreciate it and I'm really glad to hear I probably haven't messed up my transmission.

I'll reply after I take it to the shop for for posterity's sake.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #121
jher

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I'm still having the same issue with mine. Who did you guys contact to get the warranty?
jher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #122
DSDtrilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jher View Post
I'm still having the same issue with mine. Who did you guys contact to get the warranty?
There's a guy from Exedy on here, but I just used the contact form on their site. They helped troubleshoot a bit and dealt with my annoying self. I'll be sending mine in after I switch it out.

I decided to give their stage 2 kit another go, but this time the new kit that works with the stock flywheel (part #15955). That's what the Exedy guy said would work for my application. I had my heart set on the South Bend Stage II Daily kit, but that was discontinued . I'll let you all know how it works out.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:42 PM   #123
jher

Garage
Quote:
There's a guy from Exedy on here, but I just used the contact form on their site. They helped troubleshoot a bit and dealt with my annoying self. I'll be sending mine in after I switch it out.

I decided to give their stage 2 kit another go, but this time the new kit that works with the stock flywheel (part #15955). That's what the Exedy guy said would work for my application. I had my heart set on the South Bend Stage II Daily kit, but that was discontinued . I'll let you all know how it works out.

Thanks. Just fill out the forum on Exedy website. Waiting to hear from them.

The shop that installed my clutch also had two of their car with the exedy stage 2 clutch that they swap out for the South Bend stage 2 & 3 clutch. They have not had any issue with the clutch like the exedy. I'll see what exedy does for me. I might go with South Bend too.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:59 PM   #124
jher

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
This transmission is notchy specially when cold. Second requires effort to engage first few times. It is safe to drive and you will not break the trans driving to the shop.

I received as warranty the 3 puck clutch and sold it to a forum member, who I really don't know if he's having issues, but there have been no complains and he had seen this thread before buying so that's encouraging.

I ended up really happy with the customer service, they did stand up behind their product and tried to make the situation right for me.

The locals in this thread (I believe 5 or 6) continued experiencing lockout issues. One of them removed the transmission 2 times, including lats time over lubbing the shaft and disk hub extensively, to the point the clutch slipped for the first hundred miles or so. His lockout issues got noticeably better, but not completely dissapeared.

Did you receive the replacement part before sending in the old one or anyone else?
Old 03-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #125
jher

Garage
Quote:
I hope you don't mind me necro-bumping this thead, but I just bought a BRZ with an exedy stage 2 clutch and I believe I'm experiencing some drag. (edit, clutch was installed about 8 months ago, invoice doesn't have milage of car on it)

My experience so far:
After driving for a bit, I started regularly getting locked out of first and reverse from a stand still. I could "remedy" it by disengaging the clutch, shifting into third (which felt forced), then first. I took the car to the shop and had them do a transmission flush, since I had read a lot of this fixing misc shifting issues. The car shifted much better, and I didn't feel locked out of anything except occasionally reverse. Once I got home, I started reading the shops inspection notes, which inferred there was clutch drag, nothing was done about it, but something should be

My biggest issue is that since I just bought the car, I have no frame of reference and I'm not sure how notchy the shifter should feel.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post

My experience with Exedy to this point has been a total disappointment. Their concern for us as consumers is nonexistent. Their requesting that I remove my clutch,mail it to them, so they can inspect it while my car sits in the shop waitingfor the new clutch to arrive. Theysuggested checking the master cylinder and changing the transmission oil, bothof which have been done. My shop technicianand the owner of the shop have experience the same problem with Exedy and havechosen to replace their clutch with South Bend Clutch Stage 2 & 3. For them it was headache dealing with the Exedyclutch and not worth the trouble. All I’masking is that Exedy back their product and do the right thing by us consumers. What I’m looking for is a replacement clutcheven though I have to pay hundreds more to install the new one. I’ve read here on this forum of otherconsumers having the same problems with Exedy and getting no help as well, for thatreason they’re all changing to different brand clutches. I’ve called and email a number of times toSteve an Evans but they both choose to not satisfy my complaint. Where do I go from here?

I have filed a complaint with BBB and NHTSA regarding thismatter. My concern also is that if myclutch is to fail, I’ll have to take legal action against Exedy. For all consumers that have had similar issuewith Exedy I encourage you to also file a complaint against Exedy. If we get enough out cry on this forum maybeExedy will do the right thing and back its product and finally satisfy usconsumers.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #126
jher

Garage
Sorry as I paste it on there, it didn't space some word out correctly.