follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2024, 10:45 AM   #1
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
$500 V35A? GR86 Build

Last year I had to sell my FRS that I had owned for almost 10 years. We had been through a turbo kit (ended in blown engine), a 418ci LS swap, and ended our time together with a self built high compression 2JZ VVTi.

Untitled by Dustin[Smith], on Flickr

Untitled by Dustin[Smith], on Flickr

I have been lost on what the next project would be, but I always said I would love to do a stripped out FRS run on standalone and a pdm. So why not that.

Enter the $500 GR86 Chassis. I figured if I cut this one up and ruin it, I wouldn't feel bad junking it, but lets see what we can do.

Bare chassis by Dustin[Smith], on Flickr

This is the worst of it. (that and no doors, that kind of sucks as they are still super expensive for the 22+). I work at a dealership, so I have the repair instructions and discounts on the parts I need to fix it. I am not quite worried about fixing it quite yet. Need to see where my other plans go before I dive too deep.

Not 100% sure on what drivetrain will be going in it. I have a general plan. For now, I am planning on running this K20 that I was given for free... For very obvious reasons...

Engine by Dustin[Smith], on Flickr

Head is toast, should be able to pick up another head for like $200

Ready for machine shop to see if it is even worth using.

The major hiccup in this project is going to be the transmission. I have wanted an AWD FRS for the longest time, and I think this will be the perfect chassis to try it with. I have kind of narrowed it down to 8hp45x or 8hp70/75x. I really want a 70/75 but getting one with a i6 bell housing in the US is difficult and very expensive. So I will most likely go with a 45x and build the tunnel a tad larger to support the move if I ever get a chance. There is also the choice of 335xi manual 6 speed, which I would like even more, but I am not sure on the strength of the gearbox, and again difficult to source and expensive.

I have the hubs and front/rear diff sorted out for the most part. Front and rear subframe will likely be modified stock units. Using stock steering gear, knuckles, control arms, suspension. Brakes will be another custom Porsche setup like I had made for the FRS (or maybe bigger as I was working to keep the factory bias and abs happy). Interior will likely be a stock, but gutted dash, race seats, and that is about it. I am going back and forth on rear seats for my kids, or half cage because racecar.
alex87f (04-18-2024), bcj (04-14-2024), Code Monkey (04-13-2024), DarkPira7e (04-13-2024), JD001 (04-13-2024), new2subaru (04-17-2024), NoHaveMSG (04-13-2024), SP86 (04-13-2024), Spuds (04-13-2024), Stonehorsw (04-18-2024), Teseo (04-13-2024), villainous_frx (04-13-2024), Wally86 (04-22-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 12:40 PM   #2
SP86
2S Crew

Drives: a 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Looking forward to your progress with this one! God-speed
DustinS (04-13-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM   #3
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I didn't plan on updating this thread for a little while as things are going to move pretty slow, that was until I landed a pretty amazing deal. So here is a little update.

Got the car on jack stands today on lunch.

V35 by Dustin[Smith], on Flickr

Got a better look in the quarter panel. So it will need a quarter panel and inner wheel well. Add that to my list.

I also happen to come into 3 V35A 22+ Tundra V6 engines that were getting scrapped. 2 complete for the most part, and one that is just a short block. One is toast as you can tell from the pictures of the black main cap and rod. They other two should be good for rebuilds. One only having idle time before it started making a noise and was replaced.

I will need to do a major check of everything as I am not sure the condition of the heads or valve train. I know one head looks like it got hit with a fork lift arm at an intake port, which may clean up. One of the other heads has two valve springs uninstalled which I find very odd. More pictures to come as I really tear into everything.

I also ended up buying a MK60e5 ABS pump last week. Should be here tomorrow. I am very far off from getting brake lines routed, but I wanted to get it before prices got too crazy. I will need to figure out if factory sensors are going to be compatible or if I need to custom mount the BMW sensors somehow.

On to the few pictures:

The Dollys are what I used to move the chassis from my front yard where the car was dropped off on the parking pad in the back, and they make a perfect rolling resting point for these engines until I can get them torn down. The short blocks are surprising light, so moving them around like this is great.

Dead engine here:

Look how black the number one rod is compared the other ones. Got a tad hot...

At this point, my plan has shifted to hopefully running one of these in the car. I will need to design a turbo adapter (maybe run factory turbos with modified vacuum based wastegates?), Transmission adapter, intake manifold?, direct injector plugs, and I am sure a slew of other parts. I will be seeing what I can do about upgraded valve spring packages and upgraded AM rod/main bearings when putting them back together at first.