follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-15-2015, 01:22 AM   #15
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,571 Times in 18,955 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Fried spam all day. Uncooked is though
I love the ends, especially with the jelly stuff on bread. Mmmmm...
Old 11-15-2015, 01:24 AM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Hawaii is still stupid expensive even for a better-than-average wage earner.
Oh no doubt. And "employed" does not mean well paid. I was just curious and figured I would look it up. The stats were actually a bit concerning to me since the Canadian average was way above the US one.
chaoskaze (11-15-2015), Ultramaroon (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 01:32 AM   #17
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,571 Times in 18,955 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
the Canadian average was way above the US one.
I found that odd as well. The U.S. was shitting its pants at above 7% unemployment. Also of interest would be the unemployment rate of the "vacation friendly" countries. Spain, France, Italy, hello, GREECE? All in the hurt locker.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:38 AM   #18
buoywx

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Most people can't hack it living in Hawaii. Too expensive. Not enough work. Work pays too little. If you're going to move to Hawaii, don't pack a shipping container full of stuff. Just buy a buy a bunch of used crap off craigslist from all the people moving back to the mainland. Actually talk to real Hawaiins. They mostly complain about how little money and few job prospects they have.

My **** cousins moved to Oahu. Now they're moving back. Idiots.

Costco is cheap, though. Gas is California expensive, but not Europe expensive. Living in Hawaii is like paying Bay Area expenses on Alabama salaries.

Good place to retire to, though. If you can swing it.

I am going to agree with this. I've lived on Maui for 27 years. It is a struggle here. Most people that move here put their recreational ambition ahead of financial ambition. I came here to surf and windsurf. Not to make my millions. I ended up doing pretty well, but it was a hard road.

It's not as laid back as it seems when you come here. We play hard, but also have to work hard to survive here. Maui does attract a lot of trust funders and wealthy people, but us regular joe's have to work a lot.

Back to a car forum, the brz is the perfect sports car for maui. What they call here "upcountry" is a driving Disneyland if you know where to go. No need for a supercharger. It's all about going 50 in 25 mph turns. No boost needed. You would be disappointed with a fast car here. There is no where to go fast.

I've had my car for 2.5 years and I have only put it in 6th gear about three times. Not because I needed to. I was just checking to make sure it works. I very rarely even get to 5th. No need here.
buoywx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to buoywx For This Useful Post:
Atticus808 (11-15-2015), Dadhawk (11-15-2015), EAGLE5 (11-15-2015), Tcoat (11-15-2015), Ultramaroon (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 01:57 AM   #19
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
As of September:

Hawaii unemployment rate - 3.4%
California rate - 5.9%
Worst (West Virginia) -7.3%
USA average - 5.5%
Canada average - 7.1%
A lot of low-paid jobs: Cleaning rooms. Selling shirts. Serving tables. People have to work hard to make it by. Not an easy life. Not a well-paid life.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:58 AM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Oh no doubt. And "employed" does not mean well paid. I was just curious and figured I would look it up. The stats were actually a bit concerning to me since the Canadian average was way above the US one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
A lot of low-paid jobs: Cleaning rooms. Selling shirts. Serving tables. People have to work hard to make it by. Not an easy life. Not a well-paid life.
Yep
Ultramaroon (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 02:57 AM   #21
Atticus808

Drives: Splash Mountain
Thanked 2,337 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buoywx View Post
I am going to agree with this. I've lived on Maui for 27 years. It is a struggle here. Most people that move here put their recreational ambition ahead of financial ambition. I came here to surf and windsurf. Not to make my millions. I ended up doing pretty well, but it was a hard road.

It's not as laid back as it seems when you come here. We play hard, but also have to work hard to survive here. Maui does attract a lot of trust funders and wealthy people, but us regular joe's have to work a lot.

Back to a car forum, the brz is the perfect sports car for maui. What they call here "upcountry" is a driving Disneyland if you know where to go. No need for a supercharger. It's all about going 50 in 25 mph turns. No boost needed. You would be disappointed with a fast car here. There is no where to go fast.

I've had my car for 2.5 years and I have only put it in 6th gear about three times. Not because I needed to. I was just checking to make sure it works. I very rarely even get to 5th. No need here.
do you have a blue brz? I saw many frs but only 1 brz up in Ka'anapali I think in the Whalers Village, and I took a picture with it lol. the pic shows the front plate so I'm not gonna post it unless I get on the computer and white it out

also, on the road to Hana and the road up to the Haleakala peak, I wish I had my brz

Last edited by Atticus808; 11-15-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Atticus808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #22
buoywx

I am on the north shore. Mine's white. Theoretically the road to Hana would be good. The problem is so many blind corners and the risk of opposing traffic on a one lane road. It wasn't fun for me.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #23
Atticus808

Drives: Splash Mountain
Thanked 2,337 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buoywx View Post
I am on the north shore. Mine's white. Theoretically the road to Hana would be good. The problem is so many blind corners and the risk of opposing traffic on a one lane road. It wasn't fun for me.
very true

I found the road to Haleakala was worse, especially when in the clouds and you look to your right and the cliff is right there lol.

how's your paint holding up? I see a lot of paint issues on cars there, I assume cause of the heat
Atticus808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #24
buoywx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus808 View Post
very true

I found the road to Haleakala was worse, especially when in the clouds and you look to your right and the cliff is right there lol.

how's your paint holding up? I see a lot of paint issues on cars there, I assume cause of the heat
I haven't done this, but the tip for the crater road is to go at night for the driving experience. No traffic and if there is a car opposing you can see the lights in advance. Picking a good weather night would be key too. It's 10,000 feet and it snows there sometimes. It is actually the steepest road in the world. You can go from sea level to 10,000 feet in thirty something miles.

The paint is fine like new. My car is lucky and lives in a garage. It seems to be the metallic type paint that fries here. The clearcoat doesn't hold up. My truck has that issue after the brz took its place in the garage.

I just passed 7k miles after 2 1/2 years. There is just not a lot of miles you can drive here.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #25
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoRaven View Post
I work to live, I don't live to work!
I've had that motto most all my live. A lob is just to provide resources (money) so that I may enjoy my personal life to the fullest extent that I choose.
This is how I am currently... lol

The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (02-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #26
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Apples and oranges. If US used the same methodology as CA, your unemployment rate would be lower than ours.

Also, political changes in the US calculation added anyone working even one hour per week, double or triple counts those working multiple jobs and removed anyone no longer looking for work that is at the highest level in decades. If they were included, the actual US unemployment rate is well over 14%.

It's amazing that the economy is still standing but so much of it is borrowed money funding a record number of entitlement recipients.

Back to Hawaii, I love the place, Heaven on Earth and I've been to five of the islands many times each. However, lately there seems to be less aloha than years ago. I'd still consider retiring there but would choose location carefully and within range of a Costco.

Haole aren't welcome in many neighborhoods and if I had little kids wouldn't let them attend the public school system due to bullying reported by more than one group of friends who left the islands because of that.

I never had a problem there, always fit in easily by respecting customs and traditions like where to surf aided by guidance from Kamaʻaina friends.

Aloha
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #27
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Wrong, mostly.
http://milescorak.com/2012/05/04/the...an-it-appears/.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #28
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,376 Times in 4,136 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
There is a constant turn-over of home ownership at the coast not far from where we live. The coast is a very popular holiday destination. Many people think because they had a wonderful holiday there it would be a great place to live. So they move to the coast and discover that that living there all year is quite different from spending two weeks a year there.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote