follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #29
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Thats good news , maybe ask shop what the Tune in car is set up for. If it has map switching and what the 4 different maps are set up for.

The guy he bought the cable from is a different guy then the previous owner of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZOMFGAARON For This Useful Post:
steve99 (05-20-2015), TelMinz (05-20-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #30
Scalzo

Drives: Asphalt FRS <3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelMinz View Post
From Ecutek Support

The problem you appear to have suffered from is misinformation from a number of sources (but as this is your first contact it doesn't appear to be us) and purchasing an incomplete kit. I'm very sorry you have ended up in such a frustrating situation and I will do my best to help you get it resolved.

Please let me explain what gets sold and how it gets supported, and then you will hopefully know what your options are.

Ecutek Programming kit - Consists of a green OBD/CAN cable for programming, and a deskey DK2 hardware lock, or "dongle"
Ecutek "Dongle" - Part of the programming kit which is a security measure and creates a unique ID for each user, retail and tuner alike which can be assigned different versions or levels of software. Without the dongle, the Programming kit is just a comms cable. They are like this: http://www.des.co.uk/products/dk2/
Ecutek License - A digital "token" that can be assigned to a dongle, and subsequently programmed into an ECU when programmed with Ecutek for the first time. Tuners use a license for each ECU they program when they tune a car in their shop. Retail users typically by one license with a programming kit and it's deployed when they program a tune supplied by a Master Tuner.
Master Tuner - An EcuTek dealer who sells retail programming kits for use with cars tuned in a shop and/or to enable remote tuning.
EcuTek doesn't supply tunes, we supply tools for tuners, some of it gets used in a tuning shop environment, some gets sold to end users for remote custom tunes or as part of a kit with an off the shelf tune.

What I think has happened here is someone has had their car tuned, and sold the car onto you? Now you have a green cable but no dongle, and want some work done on the car, and possibly a retune, is that right?

Unfortunately as above, if you haven't got the dongle, you haven't got any software, so you have ended up only with half the programming kit. I recently advised a guy who emailed us that was looking to buy such a kit to avoid it as it wasn't complete, so I know it does happen, if you have bought such a kit, or the kit came with the car as "complete" you have been misled, perhaps not by the seller, but maybe by by someone that wanted to have the dongle and software themselves.

So depending on where you are you may want to physically go to an EcuTek tuner, who can check and log the car, and let you know that everything is fine, or that perhaps it needs adjustment. Alternatively they can remove the tune and optionally the license (you would have to pay again for a further license in future though).

You can buy a replacement dongle from your Master Tuner, which for you is unknown, but hopefully you have the Case the programming kit came in and it should have a label on it that tells you who that would be. If you don't have a Master Tuner as such, then I would speak to John Visconti at http://store.Vtune.us as he is a very prolific Master Tuner and I would be willing to bet he mapped it in the first place! He should be able to supply you a "replacement dongle" for your kit and then the software can be downloaded and you will be able to see who tuned your car and when.

Once fully equipped you have the option to switch Master Tuners, and you will be able to work with whoever has previously tuned the car, or someone new depending on your preference.

I'm really sorry your EcuTek experience hasn't been great so far, but please be assured that it's not because anything we do deliberately here to isolate end users. We do however have to balance the commercial interests of our dealers who are our customers, and sometimes our dealers don't provide the quality of service to their customers that they expect from us.

Kind regards

Paul Blamire
EcuTek International Ltd
Funny because when my dongle broke Ecutek told me I had to buy a new kit.
Curious to what happens when your original tuner goes bankrupt.. how do you get a new dongle lol