follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
cslntuee

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz View Post
Yeah it was about $159 shipped to my door. I have previous bought parts from japanparts.com, although not the STi pieces you mentioned, and they are super quick and reliable. I plan to pick up the front lip and side skirts when I have a nicer set of wheels to go with them.
I checked their website.
http://www.japanparts.com/delivery.htm
"To Door By Air"
Including : Customs clearance
Excluding: Taxes and charges

How much is the excluding part or how can I calculate?
Thank you.
cslntuee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #16
ICantAffordAnLFA

Drives: Brz, Legacy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz View Post
Do you have a link to this STi site? Thanks
http://www.sti.jp/parts/catalogue/brz_zc6/index.html
ICantAffordAnLFA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ICantAffordAnLFA For This Useful Post:
TIE Pilot (10-22-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #17
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Pardon my ignorance, but is this functional or purely decoratory?
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
OmarGC (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #18
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
The stock wing is already mostly for looks so this add on piece won't help much.
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanakuso For This Useful Post:
Guff (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #19
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Didn't know they sold STi parts at Lowes & Home Depot. @switchlanez, I own stock in them probably could've got it for the LOW.

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OmarGC For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (10-27-2012), switchlanez (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 03:33 AM   #20
JDM-dono

Drives: WRB BRZ '13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
If supposedly air does reach the gurney flap you'll have a higher pressure region above the wing (than without the gurney flap)... In essence it's slightly functional but not to the point that it's measurable improvement in downforce IMO.

EDIT: Think of it as air hitting a brick wall, there'll be high pressure region in front of the wall. By having air hit the gurney flap you'll have high pressure above the wing.
JDM-dono is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDM-dono For This Useful Post:
Guff (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 03:46 AM   #21
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
For months I've been debating ideas on how to match my stock spoiler with my black parts... paint my spoiler flat black or CF-overlay it? Get a lip spoiler and do all that? Get the Aussie NurburgWING? I even sent Bluebatmobile cash to make a custom black overlay for the backside of my stock spoiler like
then cancelled. This STI flap takes my idea and improves on it... pretty much nails what I've been wrestling with for months.

Is it functional? Well the front lip/side skirts are (sides have same basic shape as Toyota Factory Tune/Nurburgring/GTS kit skirts) plus they have access to any aero development simulations, have CG 3D model representations of their parts on the BRZ on their site, and take forever to develop/release their parts. It'd be stupid to sell something that hurts aerodynamics... since this sits directly in airflow, they'd have to at *least* ensure that. And while they're at it, maybe improve the aero. But I wouldn't care if it isn't functional. All their BRZ aero parts have been high quality with exact mounting and fitment (so far).

Plus it reminds me of a more subtle version of this guy (which is stock and an all time fave)...

Last edited by switchlanez; 10-17-2012 at 04:08 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #22
cslntuee

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
For months I've been debating ideas on how to match my stock spoiler with my black parts... paint my spoiler flat black or CF-overlay it? Get a lip spoiler and do all that? Get the Aussie NurburgWING? I even sent Bluebatmobile cash to make a custom black overlay for the backside of my stock spoiler like
then cancelled. This STI flap takes my idea and improves on it... pretty much nails what I've been wrestling with for months.

Is it functional? Well the front lip/side skirts are (sides have same basic shape as Toyota Factory Tune/Nurburgring/GTS kit skirts) plus they have access to any aero development simulations, have CG 3D model representations of their parts on the BRZ on their site, and take forever to develop/release their parts. It'd be stupid to sell something that hurts aerodynamics... since this sits directly in airflow, they'd have to at *least* ensure that. And while they're at it, maybe improve the aero. But I wouldn't care if it isn't functional. All their BRZ aero parts have been high quality with exact mounting and fitment (so far).

Plus it reminds me of a more subtle version of this guy (which is stock and an all time fave)...

What’s material for the front lip and side skirt? (FRP, PU, ABS,PP,CF…etc)
Thank you.
cslntuee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cslntuee For This Useful Post:
Scooter Style (03-20-2013)
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #23
kask2_6.0

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM-dono View Post
If supposedly air does reach the gurney flap you'll have a higher pressure region above the wing (than without the gurney flap)... In essence it's slightly functional but not to the point that it's measurable improvement in downforce IMO.

EDIT: Think of it as air hitting a brick wall, there'll be high pressure region in front of the wall. By having air hit the gurney flap you'll have high pressure above the wing.

Believe it or not a wicker can have a significant impact on a wing. Now I'm not an aero guy so I can't give you in depth details but I have a pretty good idea on some of this stuff. I work for a racing company and I've been around for some testing. 1 mm height adjustments of the wicker can effect the top speed of the car by a couple mph. Granted the cars tested were going upwards of 185 mph. Taller wicker = more downforce = more drag. I've also been around for completely losing a wicker off a wing while on track (tight course) and that effected the rear downforce and balance of the HUGE.

Keep in mind that these are race cars and are much different than the BRZ but the wicker should have the same effects. Just nowhere the same extent since the brz wing/spoiler is far less effective than one on a GT car. Anyways, I was just trying to explain that a piece like that DOES make a difference.
kask2_6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kask2_6.0 For This Useful Post:
ill86 (12-27-2012), switchlanez (10-17-2012), Trap63 (06-04-2013)
Old 10-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #24
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslntuee View Post
Thank you.
Looks like your normal ABS plastic that is used for bumper covers, side rails, rear bumpers, etc..
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #25
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslntuee View Post
Thank you.
I'm not entirely sure. It's not FRP because there are no strands... it's a solid, consistent black with no texture, just all smooth. Not as flexible as PU but feels lighter. Probably closer to ABS plastic. It looks injection molded because I saw tiny bubbling on the back of one skirt. "PPE" is stamped on the parts so maybe it's this?

Last edited by switchlanez; 10-17-2012 at 11:59 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #26
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Ordered mine also, guessing it attaches via 3M ?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #27
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Kinda hard to tell per the engrish description. It looks like they are saying the regular spoiler needs to be drilled.

It is the material of rubber aero spoiler attached to the rear end of the car aero package. Conducted wind tunnel test vehicle at STI, increase downforce by rectifying the air subjected to surface wing without increasing the (CD) air resistance, this product was developed property ground of the drive wheels at high speeds improve.
※ drilling it is necessary for mounting the rear spoiler

I would assume it's just a sticky tape install.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beyer Subaru For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #28
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post

I'm in the same boat with my FRS, bow do I work the black in (I want a panda-like look) and I think this solves it for me. I kind of liked the BRZ wing before but this settled it. STi FRS for me it seems. Lol

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
switchlanez (10-18-2012)