follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2024, 12:30 PM   #323
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,349 Times in 7,393 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter X View Post
You can buy a crate motor. https://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/p/En...0100CE990.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can try, but previous experience from other people like Opie, you can’t buy without a valid VIN.
Old 05-18-2024, 01:12 PM   #324
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
The crank position sensor and reluctor are different on 17’+ as well. Innie vs. outie like the cam position and I believe the crank position sensor has an extra wire vs. pre 17’ cars.
I'll be curious to see how RS Motors handled the crank sensor. He said my motor will be ready in a few days.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 01:14 PM   #325
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
I'll be curious to see how RS Motors handled the crank sensor. He said my motor will be ready in a few days.
I figure just a new bracket to hold the first gen crank position sensor at the correct distance to read. The stock sensor is mounted to a little bracket already on the driver side at a little window in the block.
alphasaur (Yesterday), blsfrs (Yesterday)
Old 05-18-2024, 02:07 PM   #326
removedonut

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The crank position sensor and reluctor are different on 17’+ as well. Innie vs. outie like the cam position and I believe the crank position sensor has an extra wire vs. pre 17’ cars.
In the 2016-2017 changeover, crank position went from variable reluctance to hall effect which is why the sensor went from 2 wire to 3 wire. The angle of the teeth changed along with the sensor, but the actual pattern of the reluctor wheel did not. 13-16 and 17-20 put out the same crank signal waveform, it’s just VR sine wave vs hall effect square wave.

17-20 FA20 and 22+ FA24 both have the same hall effect waveform, the sensor and the size of the reluctor is the only change. So we can reuse the FA24 crank signal with an adapter harness.

On the 13-16, we need to get a variable reluctance signal out of the FA24. That’s what my custom crank position sensor and bracket setup accomplishes.
removedonut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to removedonut For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (Yesterday), blsfrs (Yesterday), Spankopotomous (Yesterday)
Old 05-18-2024, 04:40 PM   #327
removedonut

Quote:
I figure just a new bracket to hold the first gen crank position sensor at the correct distance to read. The stock sensor is mounted to a little bracket already on the driver side at a little window in the block.
Unlikely. Here’s what a first gen sensor looks like compared to the much longer Prius sensor I ended up going with in order to get the proper length to read the reluctor wheel.

You’d need to bury the bracket waaaaay down in the bellhousing to get the sensor close enough, and at that point the bracket would probably interfere with the backside of the flywheel.

They probably also settled on using a different variable reluctance sensor. If we both ended up with the Prius sensor I’m gonna laugh though.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to removedonut For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (Yesterday), blsfrs (Yesterday), Teseo (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 04:51 PM   #328
removedonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by removedonut View Post
Unlikely. Here’s what a first gen sensor looks like compared to the much longer Prius sensor I ended up going with in order to get the proper length to read the reluctor wheel.

You’d need to bury the bracket waaaaay down in the bellhousing to get the sensor close enough, and at that point the bracket would probably interfere with the backside of the flywheel.

They probably also settled on using a different variable reluctance sensor. If we both ended up with the Prius sensor I’m gonna laugh though.
Actually, I found a video on their FB page. Based off the angle the sensor comes in compared to mine, they may have gone with a custom fabricated reluctor setup that is able to clear the FA24 block castings and is large enough to allow the use of the much shorter FA20 sensor. I’d be very interested to see the wheel, if so. The stock FA20 wheel won’t clear the FA24 at all.

Comparison between my bracket w/ Prius sensor vs. stock FA20 bracket/sensor. You can see that their angle is much more reminiscent of the FA20 bracket versus mine which is modeled on the FA24 bracket.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to removedonut For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (Yesterday), kmbkk (Yesterday), NoHaveMSG (Yesterday), Spankopotomous (Yesterday), Teseo (05-18-2024)
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM   #329
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by removedonut View Post
Actually, I found a video on their FB page. Based off the angle the sensor comes in compared to mine, they may have gone with a custom fabricated reluctor setup that is able to clear the FA24 block castings and is large enough to allow the use of the much shorter FA20 sensor. I’d be very interested to see the wheel, if so. The stock FA20 wheel won’t clear the FA24 at all.

Comparison between my bracket w/ Prius sensor vs. stock FA20 bracket/sensor. You can see that their angle is much more reminiscent of the FA20 bracket versus mine which is modeled on the FA24 bracket.
I saw pictures of their setup months ago. I just couldn’t recall exactly what it was. I was pretty sure it was a bracket. I messaged questions to them early on over FB.

Your setup is interesting and I didn’t know about the 17+ and FA24 using VR for crank signal. I’ve never had a 17+ engine in my possession.
alphasaur (Yesterday), blsfrs (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM   #330
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Quote:
You can try, but previous experience from other people like Opie, you can’t buy without a valid VIN.

I talked to the person who gave me that link and did his own swap. He didn’t have to provide the VIN. He said he explained to the dealership what he was gonna do with the motor. They said no warranty and sold it to him. I guess you might have to find the right dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drifter X For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #331
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Am I correct in assuming the Prius crank sensor reads/generates a VR sine wave like our 2013-2016 FA20s.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #332
removedonut

Quote:
I saw pictures of their setup months ago. I just couldn’t recall exactly what it was. I was pretty sure it was a bracket. I messaged questions to them early on over FB.

Your setup is interesting and I didn’t know about the 17+ and FA24 using VR for crank signal. I’ve never had a 17+ engine in my possession.
Got it backwards. 13-16 is VR, 17-20 and 22+ are hall effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
Am I correct in assuming the Prius crank sensor reads/generates a VR sine wave like our 2013-2016 FA20s.
Yes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to removedonut For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (Yesterday), CSG Mike (Today), NoHaveMSG (Yesterday), Tatsu333 (Yesterday)