follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Is it bad form for my heel to slide when using the clutch?

So this is my first car, and thus first time ever driving a manual transmission. I've been trying to get rid of bad newbie habits (most recent one off the list: resting my hand on the gear shift).

Now I'm wondering, is it bad form for me to be sliding my heel when I use the clutch? When I'm depressing it, I notice my heel will slide forward a bit as I get to the last inch or so of motion from the pedal. Then it slides back a bit as I disengage.

I never noticed this until I switched to the "Kagu 3D Maxpider" floor mats, because theres a ridge that happens to catch my heel after I slide forward. So now sliding back is a bit more annoying.

If this is a bad habit, how do I correct it? Is my seating position off? Do I needa get used to using my toe instead of the ball of my feet to engage the pedal?

If its not a bad habit, I'm just gonna get some black epoxy to fill in the ridge on my mats.

EDIT: Pic of floor mat to demonstrate what I mean by the ridge:
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Shoulda got WeatherTechs lol

Are you hovering over the clutch while you drive? If you cant fully engage the clutch I would probably scoot forward a click

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
PandaSPUR (02-23-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Shoulda got WeatherTechs lol

Are you hovering over the clutch while you drive? If you cant fully engage the clutch I would probably scoot forward a click
I had weathertechs, switched to these cause I like how they look.

And nah when I'm driving my foot is on the dead pedal.

I'll try scooting forward a click or two but im already far forward enough that my knees are still bent at full engagement, so I'm not sure if it'll help much.

EDIT: Maybe I should try the clutch pedal adjustment DIYs on the site? I think my main issue is that the pedal comes back up too far.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Don't sweat it. As long as you are pushing the clutch all the way down there is no right or wrong foot placement. If your foot is stable on the pedal then all is good no matter what part you are using.
Now I hand it over to all the guys that will say you have to have precisely a 22.8 degree angle at apex which must be increased by exactly 1.5835 degrees per millimeter until you hit the bottom or you are doing it wrong.
Chrisgalactic (02-24-2016), PandaSPUR (02-23-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #5
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
I had weathertechs, switched to these cause I like how they look.

And nah when I'm driving my foot is on the dead pedal.

I'll try scooting forward a click or two but im already far forward enough that my knees are still bent at full engagement, so I'm not sure if it'll help much.

EDIT: Maybe I should try the clutch pedal adjustment DIYs on the site? I think my main issue is that the pedal comes back up too far.
Maybe you are too close then. My leg is basically fully extended Pushing in the clutch/gas (on my MT cars at least)

Though the DIY does help a great deal. I hate the MT on these cars from factory actually. not that it cant be easily fixed

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
PandaSPUR (02-23-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
dvasqu01

Drives: Scion FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is it bad form for my heel to slide when using the clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Don't sweat it. As long as you are pushing the clutch all the way down there is no right or wrong foot placement. If your foot is stable on the pedal then all is good no matter what part you are using.
Now I hand it over to all the guys that will say you have to have precisely a 22.8 degree angle at apex which must be increased by exactly 1.5835 degrees per millimeter until you hit the bottom or you are doing it wrong.

Then you have to be sure to know the six trig functions sin cos sec csc tan cot of 22.8

Yes I'll give you the rice noodle😘
dvasqu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dvasqu01 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 08:41 PM   #7
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,376 Times in 4,136 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvasqu01 View Post
Then you have to be sure to know the six trig functions sin cos sec csc tan cot of 22.8
I'm suggesting given the type of curve described by the ball of the foot one should be using hyperbolic functions here.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #8
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I'm suggesting given the type of curve described by the ball of the foot one should be using hyperbolic functions here.
Can you tell me how to do this on my Ti-82?

Old 02-22-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,376 Times in 4,136 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Can you tell me how to do this on my Ti-82?
Sorry, it's HP or go home.
RPN for the win!!

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #10
Venom1506

Drives: 16 Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Maybe you are too close then. My leg is basically fully extended Pushing in the clutch/gas (on my MT cars at least)

Though the DIY does help a great deal. I hate the MT on these cars from factory actually. not that it cant be easily fixed
I'm not here to tell anyone how to drive but you might want to reconsider your driving position if you need to fully extend your leg to push in the clutch pedal.
In the event of a front end collision, if you have your left foot mashed on the clutch, you're going to do some serious damage to every bone starting from your foot straight to your hip.
Venom1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Venom1506 For This Useful Post:
Chrisgalactic (02-24-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #11
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom1506 View Post
I'm not here to tell anyone how to drive but you might want to reconsider your driving position if you need to fully extend your leg to push in the clutch pedal.
In the event of a front end collision, if you have your left foot mashed on the clutch, you're going to do some serious damage to every bone starting from your foot straight to your hip.
thats to get it to the floor, and there is still a slight bend in my knee. I dont need to put it all the way to the floor though I guess I probably would have it slammed down in that situation. not sure I'll change it as its how im the most comfortable but good food for thought. If I was in a wreck that bad though not sure it would make much difference either way

Last edited by finch1750; 02-23-2016 at 02:24 AM.
Tcoat (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #12
dvasqu01

Drives: Scion FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Well that's depending what your trying to find I was assuming he will want to find the Distances between the floor to the top of the pedal and the distance from the start point of the pedal to the floor 😜

dvasqu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:41 AM   #13
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Good to know I'm not doing anything wrong to the car mechanically at least, thanks. Still gonna try to fix it though because I feel like it screws up my reaction time and having to unstick my heel just distracts me, even if for just a second.

Quote:

Hmm. I guess I'll spend a few hours this weekend tweaking my seat and adjusting the pedal till I get to a good spot.

To the rest of the posts in this thread. . . lmao, you guys never fail to entertain.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:31 AM   #14
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
precisely a 22.8 degree angle at apex which must be increased by exactly 1.5835 degrees per millimeter until you hit the bottom or you are doing it wrong
Quote:
Quote:
hm, E(x,t) = EmSin(0.7x-0.89t)
B(x,t) = BmSin(0.7x-0.89t)

Now, idk if i can equate the accelration of the ball of your foot towards the clutch pedal to the time it takes to disengage the clutch...id need more time to set that up lol.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (02-23-2016), ScoobsMcGee (02-23-2016)