follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
Feathergun

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Special Edition
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2013 10-Series Scion FR-S Sell/Trade Questions

So I own the car from the title description. I'm curious now with the death of Scion what I should do with my FR-S. I really would like to super charge the car but due to another car of mine failing suddenly last year, I bought was was immediately available which was this 10-series AT FR-S. I love it, the interior seams far superior to some of the stock options of even the newer models. I put something like $4,000 down on the car at purchase, bought it for $19,800 with 23K miles on it. My KBB value is somewhere probably between 17k-18k if I spent some time fully detailing it out, fixing a couple chips and the small door ding it had when I got it. My questions is, I love this car, I want to continue driving this car, but I want to invest more money into it and I really don't want to do that with an Automatic Transmission. So, I have two options: 1.) I can get bent over on trade-in etc. from depreciation, and get a MT toyota 86 or used FR-S, or 2.) has anyone heard of a after market modification that allows you to add a launch button? I mean if I could do that I'd probably just keep it and drive it with the swap to manual and paddle shifters if needed, I'd enjoy it being AT driving around for work too. Several other enthusiast cars like GT-R are automatic with paddle shifters and launch buttons that just rev the engine and shift into 1st when you let off the brake.
Feathergun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
DasFrs

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Red FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Since you own the car, why not just sell it outright then go to a dealer (or private party) and pick the car you want without the hassle of worrying about trade in prices?
DasFrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DasFrs For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
darthpnoy1984

Drives: 15 ZN6 Asphalt
I would keep it just do a rebadge, I also pondered going MT in future but I've enjoyed the hell out of the AT can still drive it like a grandma yet can put it on M mode and Sport on with vsc sport mode and have fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 PM   #4
Feathergun

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpnoy1984 View Post
I would keep it just do a rebadge, I also pondered going MT in future but I've enjoyed the hell out of the AT can still drive it like a grandma yet can put it on M mode and Sport on with vsc sport mode and have fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 10 series has led emblems for scion as part of the limited edition so I'm torn with rebadging especially because it's 1 of 2500 also
Feathergun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:59 PM   #5
Mattstermh

Drives: '13 FR-S A/T - Stock
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathergun View Post
My 10 series has led emblems for scion as part of the limited edition so I'm torn with rebadging especially because it's 1 of 2500 also
Don't rebadge - who cares what these clowns think. Those LEDs are the way to go. You got the car for yourself and nobody else.
Mattstermh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mattstermh For This Useful Post:
dnieves (08-01-2016), SC10N (08-08-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 12:48 AM   #6
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathergun View Post
So I own the car from the title description. I'm curious now with the death of Scion what I should do with my FR-S. I really would like to super charge the car but due to another car of mine failing suddenly last year, I bought was was immediately available which was this 10-series AT FR-S. I love it, the interior seams far superior to some of the stock options of even the newer models. I put something like $4,000 down on the car at purchase, bought it for $19,800 with 23K miles on it. My KBB value is somewhere probably between 17k-18k if I spent some time fully detailing it out, fixing a couple chips and the small door ding it had when I got it. My questions is, I love this car, I want to continue driving this car, but I want to invest more money into it and I really don't want to do that with an Automatic Transmission. So, I have two options: 1.) I can get bent over on trade-in etc. from depreciation, and get a MT toyota 86 or used FR-S, or 2.) has anyone heard of a after market modification that allows you to add a launch button? I mean if I could do that I'd probably just keep it and drive it with the swap to manual and paddle shifters if needed, I'd enjoy it being AT driving around for work too. Several other enthusiast cars like GT-R are automatic with paddle shifters and launch buttons that just rev the engine and shift into 1st when you let off the brake.
The GTR and other cars like that are different. They are manuals in the sense that there is a clutche(s). We have a standard torque converter. That is a limiting factor in launches. SSP makes an upgraded one but cant remeber how high it raises the launch RPM.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #7
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Ouch tough sale with an automatic. You could change the gear sets maybe
As for Scion, im completley loyal because my last one got nearly 200k before it got to the point where I wanted to put the money into it anymore and it wasn't worth it, so my scion badge will stay on. Also its hard to find a 10 series in any form. Sale it out right and buy the used MT and be happy
Old 07-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
Mattstermh

Drives: '13 FR-S A/T - Stock
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The good news is automatic is more expensive so selling it wouldn't hurt as much.
Mattstermh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #9
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattstermh View Post
The good news is automatic is more expensive so selling it wouldn't hurt as much.

The AT can sell to a wider audience than MT as anybody can drive an AT. MT appeals to enthusiasts.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dnieves For This Useful Post:
darthpnoy1984 (08-02-2016)