follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2023, 01:11 AM   #29
Balefire

Drives: Mazda 93 RX7 R1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Multiple local autox regions in my area have a autox "school" for newbies and a "test n tune" for new and old alike. Both events typically allow more than 20 runs. Last year I taught my son the basics of autox at a TNT and we each had more than 25 runs, limited by rain. The year before I taught my brother the basics at a TNT and we each had more than 35 runs in sunny weather.

I guarantee you will learn more at a TNT with an experienced autox buddy than a whole year at HPDE

My son is now proudly beyond my abilities that I sent him to an Evolution school for finer autox teaching

As far as setup, I think my sons fully prepped SCCA DS car is a balanced platform for learning.
I did the following progression of mods to teach my son, each mod after an autox.

Stock with all seasons and a cat back exhaust for fun.
Camber bolt and alignment
Front sway bar
Used old 200tw tires
Koni yellow shocks
New 200tw on light wheels (Kumho V730s)
Car is comfortable to DD and very balanced at autox

My son and brother are pretty hooked on autox now.
This weekend I'm taking my daughter to a TNT to do the same!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Balefire For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (07-10-2023), RacingredGR86 (07-08-2023), ruturaj001 (08-18-2023), SCFD (07-09-2023), strat61caster (07-08-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 12:06 AM   #30
ruturaj001

Drives: BRZ 2023
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balefire View Post
Multiple local autox regions in my area have a autox "school" for newbies and a "test n tune" for new and old alike. Both events typically allow more than 20 runs. Last year I taught my son the basics of autox at a TNT and we each had more than 25 runs, limited by rain. The year before I taught my brother the basics at a TNT and we each had more than 35 runs in sunny weather.

I guarantee you will learn more at a TNT with an experienced autox buddy than a whole year at HPDE

My son is now proudly beyond my abilities that I sent him to an Evolution school for finer autox teaching

As far as setup, I think my sons fully prepped SCCA DS car is a balanced platform for learning.
I did the following progression of mods to teach my son, each mod after an autox.

Stock with all seasons and a cat back exhaust for fun.
Camber bolt and alignment
Front sway bar
Used old 200tw tires
Koni yellow shocks
New 200tw on light wheels (Kumho V730s)
Car is comfortable to DD and very balanced at autox

My son and brother are pretty hooked on autox now.
This weekend I'm taking my daughter to a TNT to do the same!
Thanks, missed this post.
ruturaj001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 12:07 AM   #31
ruturaj001

Few updates, car is as is, still some tread left on tires. Did an autocross school, followed by autocross event. I have track day tomorrow, then doing one more auto cross and one more track day. I think that will be all for this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to ruturaj001 For This Useful Post:
autoracer86 (08-18-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 01:00 PM   #32
showrun

Drives: 2015 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruturaj001 View Post
Few updates, car is as is, still some tread left on tires. Did an autocross school, followed by autocross event. I have track day tomorrow, then doing one more auto cross and one more track day. I think that will be all for this year.
Which autox / autox school did you do?

I'm very similar to you in that I cannot afford the time/drive-time ratio for autox. My time is just too expensive.

Have you heard of NWAA? You get more drive time with them than your typical 5-7 minutes https://www.facebook.com/groups/296925163404

BTW I'm a Washingtonian also, and sounds like we're at the same level / have the same approach to learning.
showrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 10:23 AM   #33
ruturaj001

Quote:
Originally Posted by showrun View Post
Which autox / autox school did you do?

I'm very similar to you in that I cannot afford the time/drive-time ratio for autox. My time is just too expensive.

Have you heard of NWAA? You get more drive time with them than your typical 5-7 minutes https://www.facebook.com/groups/296925163404

BTW I'm a Washingtonian also, and sounds like we're at the same level / have the same approach to learning.
I went to Bremerton.

Thanks, just requested to join the group.

That's great, I am in Bellevue WA, I have been keeping my drive to about an hour.
Old 08-19-2023, 10:29 AM   #34
ruturaj001

Man what a day was yesterday. Instructor said I can't turn off traction control, so did 2 sessions with all nannies on compared to last event in track mode. For 3rd session I asked if I can go in track mode, he said yes and my driving improved dramatically. In next few sessions, I passed 2 BMW, caught up to a mini and supra, could have passed them as well if I was comfortable tailgating them but I was backing off. Not bragging, just that I think I am keeping momentum better and coming out of corners much faster now. Tires got a lot greasy by 6th session.
Old 08-19-2023, 08:25 PM   #35
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Man what a day was yesterday. Instructor said I can't turn off traction control, so did 2 sessions with all nannies on compared to last event in track mode. For 3rd session I asked if I can go in track mode, he said yes and my driving improved dramatically. In next few sessions, I passed 2 BMW, caught up to a mini and supra, could have passed them as well if I was comfortable tailgating them but I was backing off. Not bragging, just that I think I am keeping momentum better and coming out of corners much faster now. Tires got a lot greasy by 6th session.
Why the hell did you ask?
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 10:21 PM   #36
ruturaj001

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSport View Post
Why the hell did you ask?
Everyone was told not to turn off traction control. I wasn't sure how they viewed track mode. I didn't want to be kicked out
Old 10-22-2023, 01:24 PM   #37
ruturaj001

2 more updates since last 2 posts

Had a track day with Porsche car club, great guys, got 7 20 minutes sessions with an awesome instructor. I had to turn off track mode after few because I got greedy in a corner and car did a small slide which I was able to catch. After that instructor said to continue with all nannies on. Wasn't that bad without track mode as I had thought.

Did a car control clinic with Porsche yesterday and man it was a blast.

Slalom course
Small and large diameter wet skidpads
Braking and accident avoidance course
Autocross (small loop)
Figure 8

While it was great learning tool, the highlight was after 3:30 there was a autocross setup without anyone to pick up cones or timing and very few people stayed. I got, I think, more than runs. Skid pad is tough and I definitely can use practice so planning to do this course few more times instead of autocross.

For actual mods, I am thinking about getting all seasons and summer set this year. Put all seasons on stock and get 225 pilot sport 4S on 17X8 wheels. If get to limit with those I might look in to other real performance mods.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:07 PM   #38
showrun

Drives: 2015 FRS
Quote:
225 pilot sport 4S on 17X8 wheels. If get to limit with those I might look in to other real performance mods.
Get some SX2 instead. Excellent learning tire, last forever. Then upgrade to a better 200TW once you are as fast as your coach on the SX2.
showrun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to showrun For This Useful Post:
ruturaj001 (10-22-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 10:19 PM   #39
ruturaj001

Quote:
Get some SX2 instead. Excellent learning tire, last forever. Then upgrade to a better 200TW once you are as fast as your coach on the SX2.
I wanted to but then I would need another set when it's rainy track days. I daily the car but so 4S would be better there as well.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:21 AM   #40
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Zero need for that. The 4S and even the more basic 4 is a fine tire for track days.

Even the great drift king uses them Unless you're chasing lap times you don't need more grip for track driving no matter your skill level.

I will add as someone who tracks the basic pilot sport 4(4S not available in my size in Ireland) I found their grip in the wet on track to be fine. I wasn't blown away. I was getting passed by most of the hot hatches running a 200tw tire lol.

@ruturaj001 you shouldn't have much issue daily driving and tracking the SX2 rain or shine. BUT there is no need to upgrade.

Also happened to watch this the other day. Listen to how many track events Andy has on his set of 4S
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 01:37 PM   #41
ruturaj001

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoracer86 View Post
Zero need for that. The 4S and even the more basic 4 is a fine tire for track days.

Even the great drift king uses them Unless you're chasing lap times you don't need more grip for track driving no matter your skill level.

I will add as someone who tracks the basic pilot sport 4(4S not available in my size in Ireland) I found their grip in the wet on track to be fine. I wasn't blown away. I was getting passed by most of the hot hatches running a 200tw tire lol.

@ruturaj001 you shouldn't have much issue daily driving and tracking the SX2 rain or shine. BUT there is no need to upgrade.

Also happened to watch this the other day. Listen to how many track events Andy has on his set of 4S
PS4 get little greasy after few sessions. May be I need to spray some water between sessions. I think PS4S might handle heat better (my reasoning behind getting them).

Wet traction wasn't my biggest concern with SX2, it was standing water that my local track has. As per for reviews seems like SX2 isn't as good for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to ruturaj001 For This Useful Post:
autoracer86 (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 03:03 PM   #42
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
PS4 get little greasy after few sessions. May be I need to spray some water between sessions. I think PS4S might handle heat better (my reasoning behind getting them).

Wet traction wasn't my biggest concern with SX2, it was standing water that my local track has. As per for reviews seems like SX2 isn't as good for that.
Yeah standing water is where it gets tricky for sure. As for the heat I am lucky enough that we run open pit lanes so I just come and go as I like haha
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote