follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fuel Starvation issues? YAY OR NAY?

Im doing some research as i plan to purchase this car as a track toy and was wondering if this car has any fuel starvation issues. I used to have a evo x and when it was getting close to half a tank the car would have fuel starvation under hard left cornering so i had to implement a surge tank. Theres a pretty hard left turn with elevation change that always gets cars at my track so im wondering.

If anybody hears or experiences any fuel starvation please post it in this thread!! Hopefully as more cars hit the road we can get a better idea.

Last edited by track_warrior; 04-30-2012 at 02:55 AM.
track_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
All I know is that it has a saddle shaped tank. But I have no idea what that means for fuel starvation...
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Ranatsu
Cone basher

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
if the fuel tank is designed like the impreza, you should be okay. The only time in my STi that i've experienced any problems was with the fuel light on accelerating out of a hard corner.

Only time will tell to be sure though.
Ranatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
man i didnt even know that problem existed lol. so when the fuel starvation happens what's the effect? does the car jerk? keep me educated guys
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
man i didnt even know that problem existed lol. so when the fuel starvation happens what's the effect? does the car jerk? keep me educated guys
Basically during hard cornering your gasoline slushes to one side leaving your fuel pump dry and no gas goes to your engine which causes the car to bog down and it could cause some damage if the fuel tank is poorly designed.

I had to install one of these to get rid of the issue: http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26113

Basically its an external pump that pushes fuel to a tank so in case your pump in the tank cant pump enough fuel during cornering there is some left over in that surge tank and your other pump pushes it to your engine.

Last edited by track_warrior; 04-30-2012 at 12:00 PM.
track_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
We'll have to wait and see who does actual datalogging of the fuel tank pump pressure output to determine when and how bad the starvation is. Every car is different, of course.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
really wont know until we have it in our hands. Id assume that because Toyota and Subaru were expecting this thing to be tossed around that they placed the pump really far down and central if it was a saddle bag fuel tank. So as to advert fuel starvation.

We can contact some tuners right now who do have demo cars running in japan and ask. But likely those cars have modified fuel cells with external pumps.

If the tank is similar to impreza in shape and the pump location is also similar i wouldn't expect fuel starvation to occur until the car has less than a quarter of gasoline and your tossing it around like a 80lb Asian hooker.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
brillo

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Some sports cars have baffled tanks as well which helps keep fuel from sloshing around to much during cornering. When combined with a low mounted pump, I would think you'd be ok unless you ran the fuel down really low. I've heard of autocross guys runing into issues running less than a quarter tank (not a common occurance) but I wouldn't track a car with that little fuel.
brillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Engine shuts down and runs a lean/hot if you keep doing it. I end up doing so for laps at a time in the race car. Header is usually glowing bright red after a few laps.

Unless it's a baffled tank (doubt it) it'll have starvation issues. Solution is simple though :P

half a tank is surprising though, Integra tanks won't starve until ~2 gallons left or so on street tires (which IIRC is what you run) and ~3-4 on r comps.

AFAIK it has a saddle tank for packaging reasons, not to help prevent starvation. Not sure if it'd help or not honestly.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Guff

Garage
Slightly of topic, but it should be 'Yea' not 'Yay'

'Yay' is an exclamation of excitement...
Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
half a tank is surprising though, Integra tanks won't starve until ~2 gallons left or so on street tires (which IIRC is what you run) and ~3-4 on r comps.
Ridiculous enough on the EVO X half a tank would be where the car would start to get starvation issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
Slightly of topic, but it should be 'Yea' not 'Yay'

'Yay' is an exclamation of excitement...
Its also street slang for yes or no lol :happy0180:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...%20or%20Nay%3F
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I own a 2002 WRX with the stock fuel system that I race RallyX. In a full sweeper, bouncing over uneven ground I can have my fuel light on and not have starvation issues.

Subaru's newer cars are pretty good about it. But if you're really worried about it, keep the tanks above 1/4.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's like hitting the rev limiter mid corner, except that it lasts longer and you can't fix it by shifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranatsu View Post
if the fuel tank is designed like the impreza, you should be okay. The only time in my STi that i've experienced any problems was with the fuel light on accelerating out of a hard corner.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
Its also street slang for yes or no lol :happy0180:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...%20or%20Nay%3F
No, it's olde timey talk for yes or no. Guff is right, Urban dictionary is wrong ( imagine my surprise).
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
No, it's olde timey talk for yes or no. Guff is right, Urban dictionary is wrong ( imagine my surprise).